Replacing floor pans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Replacing floor pans

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing floor pans

I need to replace the floor pans, and rockers. I only ripped up the carpet in the cargo area, which did not seem to bad but had some holes ones I took a wire brush to it.

Here it is

Pretty much where ever you seen rust became a hole. So for now my only idea was to seal and paint it until I could replace them. I'm sure the rest is the same way if not worse

My problem is, I do not have a welder and can not weld. So doing it myself is out for now. Now, this is assuming that the transmission hump is still good and all I need is replacement pans not the whole floor. If I would get all the pans, what would you estimate a shop charging to weld them in for me? I really don't even know a shop around me that does that kind of work to get a estimate.

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995_XJ View Post
I need to replace the floor pans, and rockers. I only ripped up the carpet in the cargo area, which did not seem to bad but had some holes ones I took a wire brush to it.

Pretty much where ever you seen rust became a hole. So for now my only idea was to seal and paint it until I could replace them. I'm sure the rest is the same way if not worse

My problem is, I do not have a welder and can not weld. So doing it myself is out for now. Now, this is assuming that the transmission hump is still good and all I need is replacement pans not the whole floor. If I would get all the pans, what would you estimate a shop charging to weld them in for me? I really don't even know a shop around me that does that kind of work to get a estimate.
Find a good local body shop to get an estimate, they'll usually do this kind of work. Since it is mostly labor prices will vary significantly, if all pans need replaced I'd expect something in the $2000-3000 range, more if labor rates are high in your area. The rust doesn't look too bad (of course pics can be deceiving), if they can just patch some holes/areas without replacing the whole pans it should be cheaper.

I'd start by pulling the rest of the carpet to get an idea how bad/widespread the damage is. XJs can be weird, sometimes all pans are equally rusted, sometimes one pan is rusted and the others are fine.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Cut out the rot and buy replacement pans online and have someone local weld them. Body shop is the last place I'd have it done unless money isnt an issue. Even if you cant get it welded you can overlap it and secure it with self tapping screws and caulk the seams. PO did it on mine and you can barely tell.
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Cut out the rot and buy replacement pans online and have someone local weld them. Body shop is the last place I'd have it done unless money isnt an issue. Even if you cant get it welded you can overlap it and secure it with self tapping screws and caulk the seams. PO did it on mine and you can barely tell.
I'd assume JBWeld would work for this application as well?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
If you go the epoxy route PC7 works better for body panels, floor pans, or just about any sheet metal.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
It might.

I was going to undo the PO's work and actually weld them up, but I haven't had a problem yet from it so I haven't bothered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.