Repair Shop Problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Repair Shop Problems...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Repair Shop Problems...

So for the past 5 years, my A/C has never worked the way it should so in June I took it in to get looked at to figure out what was going on. They had it for the morning, leak checked it, vaccuum tested it and said it was fine. No leaks and held 10psi of vaccuum for half an hour. They charged the system and I paid my $110 and was on my way. Well, over the past 2 months, the A/C has been getting progressively warmer to the point that now it just blows hot. Took it in to them today and when I dropped it off, I explained the problem to the same guy....again and told him not to fix anything, just find out what the problem is and to be thorough and do it right because I don't want to make another trip in 2 months for the same problem. Not sure what to do about the place.

What should I do about the shop? If they charge it up and tell me there's no leak, should I bother to pay for it knowing that something is wrong? I know I'll have to pay to get my keys back but should I bargain with him because they didn't do it right the first time or what? I don't wanna get jerked around here and I wanna get my money's worth you know? A/C work isn't cheap. What do you guys think?

C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
JeepRide
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Find another ac shop or go to the parts store and get one of those freon charge kits
Unread 07-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
mavrick480
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I would bet my XJ that you have a leak in your evap coil. These leaks can be hard to detect. What you need to do is have them put that florescent dye in the system.

I heard the best way to check is to run the vehicle for about an hour and then sit it in a garage with a large drip pan underneath that will catch the moisture coming off the evap coil that leaks out of the bottom of the vehicle.

Run a black light over what you caught and if you can see the dye in there you have a leak in your evap coil.

AC Shops also have Freon Sniffers that can detect freon that has leaked out of a system. See if he has one of these and ram it up into the dash and see if he senses anything.

The only problem with a leak in the evap coil is that they cost an arm and a leg to fix cuz the whole dash has to be taken out of the XJ to replace it. You will pay more in labor than you will parts most likely.
mavrick480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I get to go ahead and change the worst part on the vehicle. Went to go pick it up yesterday and the guy told the evap was shot (which was what I figured was the problem/first place I told them to look in June) so after a bit of arguing I left the shop with my keys and a full wallet. Won't be going back there again but now I have to rip out the evaporator.....this should be fun, I'll take pics
C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
XJKyle1389
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look over your system yourself real real real CLOSELY!! Look for dirt and oil buildup around the fittings at every line connection. The oil in the refrigerant will attract dirt. It will accumulate on the leak. And those recharge kits from the parts stores are junk!! trust me on that.
XJKyle1389 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.