Removing the Interior - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Removing the Interior

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Removing the Interior

Hi,

Is there a write-up anywhere on how to strip the interior of an XJ down to metal? I want to remove seats/carpet/etc, but before I started yanking I figured I'd ask if there was a good way to go about doing it. I'm sure the job has some secrets. I figured its about time that I make sure nothing is rusting on my 2000.

Thanks,

Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9 View Post
Hi,

Is there a write-up anywhere on how to strip the interior of an XJ down to metal? I want to remove seats/carpet/etc, but before I started yanking I figured I'd ask if there was a good way to go about doing it. I'm sure the job has some secrets. I figured its about time that I make sure nothing is rusting on my 2000.

Thanks,
Start at the back, I'm not sure about 97+ but on my 95, if you started at the back, one piece held down another, and another and so forth up to the dash. Good luck with the seat belt bolts, they're torqued to some ridiculous number of ft. lbs.
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Jeep Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I took my interior out the other day.. pretty simple.

I started with the rear seat.. Just the lower half. Theres a lever on the passenger side that unhooks it from where its mounted. Comes out in 2 seconds.

Then I took off the bezel around the radio.
cleaned up the center console and took out the 2 screws inside.
popped off the plastic 4wd indicator and unplugged the light
took off the shifter handle (grab it and pull as hard as you can without punching yourself in the face)
then took off the gear indicator and unplugged the light
I want to say there was one screw under that and one under the 4wd lever holding the rest of the console on.
after that pull your ebrake up and move the gear shift to whatever works to get this thing out.

now that all that stuff is out get a big 1/2 inch ratchet and give the seat bolts hell.
make sure you disconnect the seat belt indicator wire under the seats before yanking them out. all thats left is to pull the kick panels out and unscrew all the plastic on the side that covers the wire.
with all that out of the way the carpet will come right out. There might be one or 2 snap in plastic pieces holding the carpet in under the rear seat.
Jeep Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok great. Thanks guys. Hopefully all goes well.

Jeff
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9 View Post
Ok great. Thanks guys. Hopefully all goes well.

Jeff
Just take your time and make sure to pb blast any rusty looking bolts you may find...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.