Remove Monstaliner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Remove Monstaliner?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering Stabilizer Brackets...

Unread 06-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Remove Monstaliner?

Can you remove it without taking the paint under it? If not can you paint over it and have it last. Would be different colors.

300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Ask in the Monstaliner thread in the vendor section or PM Magnetman. Regardless, answers directly from him are going to be the most accurate.

I'd venture to guess that you're going to royally **** up the paint trying to remove it. The clear coat should have already been sanded down and primer applied over that before putting the liner on anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think primer is necessary, but yeah, the paint has to get messed up first anyway. Is the OP confusing Monstaliner with PlastiDip??

Sent from my phone.
Unread 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
DNFJ
Wannabe Desert Rat

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Primer is recommended.

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 04:06 AM   #5
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting; I've been all over Monsta's site and have only seen mention of primer in the event that bare metal is reached when sanding/scuffing the paint during prep. Tis neither here nor there relative to the OP's question, though.
Unread 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Primes needed on bare metal but not over existing paint.
To the op i don't care what paint it is, air craft stripper should work all the same.

But there's probably no way to not hurt the paint under the monsterliner.
Unread 06-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This page is missing my other posts?

I'm going to borrow a big hand held grinder and put a wire brush on it and take the jeep down to metal where ever it is. I will then sand the rest of the paint down to feather edges and then I an going to take out the big dents and paint the whole jeep again. Stripper was just a huge mess when I used it before.
Unread 06-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300cpilot View Post
This page is missing my other posts?

I'm going to borrow a big hand held grinder and put a wire brush on it and take the jeep down to metal where ever it is. I will then sand the rest of the paint down to feather edges and then I an going to take out the big dents and paint the whole jeep again. Stripper was just a huge mess when I used it before.
You're gonna make a mess of the metal. I'd bet you'll see the markings from the wire wheel right through the paint. Use one of the rubber composite stripping wheels and you won't have to resurface the panels when you're done...if you haven't already done the damage.
Unread 06-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

No not yet, was going to do it today but it is 106 degrees out there. I will look into the stripping wheels.
Unread 06-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I hope you know what I'm referring to. Its a black material that looks like a sponge, only very stiff.
Unread 06-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.

Last edited by Motorcharge; 06-28-2015 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: my drunk post made like zero sense
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Obama's brain?
Haha! Use it with amazing grace!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.