Rejoining the XJ world - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rejoining the XJ world

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
1950willysPU
1950 J-Series Truck 

Rejoining the XJ world

My first jeep was a '90 XJ then i bought two ZJs and now I'm probably going to be getting a '95 2dr 5spd XJ. It'll sorta be a mall crawler, I'm prob not going to lift it and if I do it'll be less than 3". My current list of want-to-do's is :30" tires, 63mm TB, headers, CAI, Flex Fan, high flow oil pump, twin oil filters, poly bushings and basically making the brakes a lil better etc.

My question is does anyone see any troubles with these mods? Anything especially hard to do? Anything I should probably do but left out? Suggestions?

This thing will still hit a trail or ditch occaisionally.

1950willysPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

List seem's like it was assembled by someone wanting to spend money for no good reason. No offence intended.

The performance mods will gain you very little in the real world, the tires will probably rub on even the smallest bump and not look much if any better than 30's or 235's, breaks are always good even though refreshing all your stock parts to be in tip top condition is all you or anybody is ever gonna need on a rig you describe, poly bushing are on my list of "to do's" but not very high.

As for the oil mods....... I'm still trying to figure out what all the hoopla is about with these mods considering the longevity the 4.0's are capable of with just standard maintenance. Times 2 for a mall crawler.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
1950willysPU
1950 J-Series Truck 

Its basically to give the engine a boost, seat of the pants feel mostly, oiling mods to find out how far the longevity of the 4.0 really pushes, 235/30"s dont really rub at all, ran them on my '90 XJ
1950willysPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I ran 30" tires on stock suspension with no rub.

What do you mean by flex fan?

Some of the electric fan setups I've seen for the Cherokee can be very hard to work with unless they are set to come on exactly right. You also don't gain very much performance-wise over the stock setup, not to mention they are expensive for a good one. I'd say put your money towards making sure the stock cooling system is in good working order, maybe with a beefier radiator, and you will be fine. I have a CSF 3 row radiator with stock everything else in the system and the highest my temp gets is 206* on a long hill climb during the summer.

I wouldn't worry so much about the oil mods. Use a good oil and filter and you will be good to go. The 4.0L has a large 6 quart sump. Increasing the capacity can actually be bad for the engine in winter, especially if you take short trips. Reason being the oil might not get up to temp and burn off the condensation. Not to mention the greater probability of leaks, which we know the 4.0 has enough of already. If you were doing extended oil drains with synthetic in a large diesel engine like a Ford 7.3, then I'd consider a bypass filter system, but with the 4.0 you are just wasting money. The engine will outlast the body with just regular maintenance.

For performance mods the following I have noticed a difference with:
1. 63mm bored throttle body - better off the line throttle response, I recommend buying it from StrokedJeep.com, Jeff does great machine work.
2. Cold air intake with a good heat shield - better off the line throttle response
3. Dynomax cat-back exhaust - gained a solid 1 mpg and better mid-range throttle response

Other than that I would just keep your tune up parts in good condition, such as plugs, wires, etc.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.