Recovered a Stuck F-150 Today!! (My First Recovery) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Recovered a Stuck F-150 Today!! (My First Recovery)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
JeffW
2007 XK Commander 

Seriously. He helped the guy get his truck out. He obviously was cautious in how he did it. F-150 bumpers are pretty stout. A Toyota bumper... Not so much.

Now we get a lesson from the expert? Why the need to rain on his parade?

As for the rear of the vehicle, that's about the only point you had. Going to the front may have been a better option if there was a tow hook. I think you did OK considering the alternative (leave him there).

Unread 07-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
jimm2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Let me correct myself, I actually have a recovery strap... Don't know what I was thinking...

Also, I used the hitch on the back of my XJ. I'm assuming that is acceptable? (I do hope the correct word is hitch)
jimm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
yellowford
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the f150 bumpers are rated to pull 5000lbs off of them and about 2500lbs more with a hitch so i dont think he was going to rip the bumper off
yellowford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #19
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

wraping it around both axle tubes in a w patern is the strongest point if he did not have a tow hook..but if it was buried then you can wrap it around one of the leaf spring shackles.
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
Seriously. He helped the guy get his truck out. He obviously was cautious in how he did it. F-150 bumpers are pretty stout. A Toyota bumper... Not so much.

Now we get a lesson from the expert? Why the need to rain on his parade?

As for the rear of the vehicle, that's about the only point you had. Going to the front may have been a better option if there was a tow hook. I think you did OK considering the alternative (leave him there).

Get a grip......I told him good job for what he did ,twice in fact.I was simply trying to point out some flaws in the story and help clarify the correct way to help somebody in this situation.I never once yelled at him or called him a name for what he did.I simply asked questions to help get a better picture of how he was hooked up and that he used the chain correctly.

Now somethings being said I would agree with and some not so much.The axle thing should be a last resort.I have seen axles removed using this method.The shackle idea I would never do such a thing.I have seen it done and work I have seen it done and fail leaving the truck even more stranded then it was to begin with.

If you have no recovery points I would start by trying to get it around a stout cross member.If that is not an option then double up the chain and wrap it around the frame rails someplace .On a truck like you were pulling out you could wrap the chain on both frame rails right before the rear leaf mounts.If you are going to use a rear bumper like you did then spread the load.Double up the strap or chain and wrap it around the bumper by the frame mounts.Not in the center or to one side.Disperse the load over a greater area.By placing it in the center you could taco the bumper,I have seen what looks to be a stout bumper do this not just factory bumpers.To one side and you run the risk of shearing all the bolts on one side and taking one side of the bumper off.By equaling the load to both frame rails you also lower the risk of causing damage to your frame.
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #21
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliassami5 View Post
wraping it around both axle tubes in a w patern is the strongest point if he did not have a tow hook.
how are you saying to wrap it?

Are you saying around the pumpkin and tubes in a "W" pattern ? Or are you saying in from the outside of the spring pack on one side ,under the axle ,then back out again on the outside of the other sides spring pack?

If you are going to go around the rear axle make sure to double up the chain/strap and wrap it as close to or right over the axle mounts themselves on both sides.Never go around the pumpkin area.by pulling on the center of the axle alone you can bend the axle or crack the plug welds causing more issues .
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #22
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

t'was a joke..id have helped the guy out just like he did except i dont carry a chain since ive got no use for one..just carry a tow rope. if the guy in the truck was cool with the bumper idea..why not? other than the part about it flying off but in sand, i doubt thatd be a huge issue. sounds like it was just a simple hung-up-in-the-stupidest-way-possible kind of stuck. had that happen to my friends zj and i had my hitch and he had his d-ring tabs (kevins) and i didnt even have to use 4lo..just did the normal start and all was fine.

first time pulling someone out is always the best because you remember the time you first got stuck and someone helped you out. sounds like you represented jeeps well OP.
Unread 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

my first recovery involved me a grand cherokee in a ditch that was snowcovered about 6 inches. The jeep slid into the ditch cause the road (a country road, with is no where near straight). It was nearly on its side. I pulled him out no problems using his front axle. I was proud because at the time i was only running on 5 cylinders (had a bad plug wire and it was misfiring) and the road was really icy and snow covered.

The othertime my buddies car slipped out of park (automatic) and barreled down the hill into his mailboxes. Took about 3 mailboxes out and ended up in a ditch.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.