Recomending new shocks for heavy bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Recomending new shocks for heavy bumpers

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
DUKWsInARow

Recomending new shocks for heavy bumpers

Greetings,

Could any of you recommend new shocks to replace the 17 year old shocks on my stock height XJ and deal with the additional weight/stress of steel bumpers and a trailer?

Having lost my first XJ to a rear ending accident, coupled with the fact that I need to leave my Jeep parallel street parked while at one of my jobs, I decided that the first improvement I'd make to my current 1997 XJ is to replace the bumpers with heavy steel bumpers from Affordable Offroad.

I decided to go with their Front Bumper With Brush Guard and asked if they could install a receiver hitch instead of winch mount so that I can use my hitch-mounted winch in either the front or rear. Since this meant that they were making a somewhat custom bumper, I was given the option to have them use 3/16 rather then 1/8 steel and took this option.

While the bumpers look amazing, they're quite a bit heavier then the stock bumpers and I'm worried that this will overly compress my seventeen year old shocks, especially with the weight outside the Jeep's wheelbase.

At the moment, I do not wish to add any height/lift to the jeep.

With this in mind, what would be the best shocks to replace my existing shocks and deal with the added load, the stress of pulling a trailer, plus the additional load of any future goodies I might add (such as a steel roof rack and pioneering kit)...

Thank you in advance.

DUKWsInARow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Heavy duty springs would be better suited to offset the added weight of modifications.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
DUKWsInARow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Heavy duty springs would be better suited to offset the added weight of modifications.
@Chris,

Could you then recommend a set of heavy duty springs???

Again, I'm not looking for lift at this time...
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My recommendation would be to use V8 ZJ front coil springs. Stock XJs use them to gain 1-2 inches. With your heavier modifications they may give you a little lift (probably an inch), but they are really cheap from a junk yard and should ride nice with your modifications.
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
DUKWsInARow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofhardy View Post
My recommendation would be to use V8 ZJ front coil springs. Stock XJs use them to gain 1-2 inches. With your heavier modifications they may give you a little lift (probably an inch), but they are really cheap from a junk yard and should ride nice with your modifications.
@Kevin

Thank you, I'd heard abut this modification, but had been told that it gave an XJ significant lift and needed to be done in addition to blocks, etc.

If it's only an inch or two without the extra weight then with the weight, I should get exactly what I'm looking for (namely a slightly stiffer ride and avoid "bogging" the suspension with excessive weight)...

PS; I tried to give your post a 'thumbs up' but the system doesn't appear to be letting me...
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It did give me the thumbs up. Haha got an email about it and everything. Thank you. I have them on mine with 1.75 inch spacers and I have 3 inches of lift with almost no extra weight up front. They should put you right where you want to be. Most junk yards do not note a difference in the V8 and straight 6 springs so make sure you specify.
If your shocks are that old I would still recommend an upgrade. There are ride height adjustable ones for towing, but only you know if they are really needed.
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Shocks will not keep the front or rear from squatting with heavy bumpers. I recommend the v8 coils and rear cherokee upcountry leaf pack to deal with the extra weight. Get any shock for a stock lift cherokee that you want to pay for.
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee View Post
Shocks will not keep the front or rear from squatting with heavy bumpers. I recommend the v8 coils and rear cherokee upcountry leaf pack to deal with the extra weight. Get any shock for a stock lift cherokee that you want to pay for.
this part

shocks have zero to-do with height of vehicle based on load; the only thing shocks do is meter the rate of travel which the suspension is providing (if you totally removed your shocks for example the height wouldn't change)

if adding the weight has put the height to low you need to add some height into the suspension (springs / shackle / blocks / etc)
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.