Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Recmmended XJ mechanic near SF Bay Area?

671 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  NCaliC 
#1 · (Edited)
Need reliable XJ mechanic in the SF Bay Area.
Someone familiar with lifted/modified XJ's.
Not just a "parts changer" but someone who can diagnose problems and reliably repair them.
Willing to drive an hour in any direction.
Anyone?

#2 ·
Look on Facebook for a 4x4 club in your area. That will be your best bet. Those guys can point you to local mechanics

If you want to try stuff while you look for a mechanic maybe we can help with whatever issues you are having. Cherokees/Jeeps can get stupid-expensive if you don't do the work yourself.

#3 ·
I appreciate your reply Phil, it's good advice.
I've looked to join a local 4x4 club and agree, that's probably the best best to find a reliable mechanic.
I do some of the work myself, but some is beyond me.
Currently I have a speed specific "roar"/vibration and obviously to me it is something that's rotating.
My best guess is something to do with the driveshaft. It's a chore for me to disconnect the rear driveshaft, run the XJ with the front and try to begin isolating it . . .
I know there are a very few people out there with the experience/knowledge to drive my XJ and say, "hey, it's _____."
Bottom line, finding good mechanics out there is getting increasingly difficult.
Modern cars you hook up to a computer and a "parts changer" solves the problem.
With older rigs that we have modified into expedition vehicles or crawlers; those kind of mechanics are becoming a lost art. I'd love to find one but I'm beginning to think it's unrealistic.
If someone in the Bay area reads this and has a local reference; I'm all ears.
Cheers.

#6 ·
No, but if I was doing the work, that's where I would probably start. Given my lack of options for a mechanic, I might give it a shot and see if that isolates the problem. u-joint is probably the best place to start.
I ask this question however as I still would really like to find a reliable mechanic in the area that really knows XJs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.