Recaro Seats in my XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Recaro Seats in my XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Recaro Seats in my XJ

I just bought my XJ a 2 weeks ago, 1999 Forest Green, 4.0 4x4 5 speed. Since the 5 speed was my requirement and the reason i did not go with a WJ or ZJ, i wanted some nice seats. I also just sold my Audi and the stock jeep seats are crap.

So i was going to go with WJ seats, but i did see any i truly liked. so i started to scour eBay and found a set of Recaro Seats out of a ION Redline. they were at a junk yard close by so I Bid $350 and won them last sunday.

First off I could not find any write ups that made me feel good about the swap. there is a reason for that. These seats are wide. almost to wide to fit, but clearancing with a 3lb sledge did the trick just fine.

I tried a bunch of fitment options. The saturn slides are integrated into the seat base so removing them was not a viable option. when i had tried both sliders the seat was to tall and at an awkward angle. so I took apart the factory slider and removed the brackets that are welded to it.

then i took flat stock and square stock to make my own brackets to fit the width of the new seats, drilled a couple holes. added a couple spacers. and Viola, a Cherokee Sport that has a bit of sport in it.(well looks at least)

I love the way these seat hold you in place, they are a very comfortable and firm seat. the higher angle for the knee helps reduce fatigue.

durfXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
ClassicVA
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i like how they go so well with the interior, plus recaro's are some nice seats in any vehicle. good job on the install

~XJ Owners Club Member #134
ClassicVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
1slosvt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow! That looks alot better than I imagined! I love Recaros but have never really considered them for a 4wd vehicle. Pretty good idea.
1slosvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
MattyO
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn,those are a good match!good look and fit!
Black Jeep Society member #306
_=====,ooooo,
//__l_l__\____\,____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\|llllll|
`\_/`````\|`````\|
_(o)_)___(o)_)---o-)_)
MattyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Looks factory to me, great job and nice seats.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Im going to pick up a graphite leather rear seat of a WJ on monday. so then the interior will be set except a AVIC F90BT. also can some one post my pics to this thread.

Last edited by durfXJ; 03-21-2009 at 08:49 PM..
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

are those brackets strong enough to keep the seat inside the vehicle in case of a head on collision? Looks like the seat is only held down by 4 screws.
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
durfXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I defiantly thought about and came to this conclusion. YES it just as strong as factory because it is the same as factory. The factory uses the sliders to reinforce the brackets. but the whole seat is bolted to the same brackets as the engineers designed it to. the difference is there is a square frame instead of 2 separate sliders.

i used metric 12.9 hardware, which is notably stronger than the factory hardware that is know to snap off when attempted to loosen.
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i got some old recaros in my jeep too not nearly as nice as yours mine was all welded up i went a lil overboard
Unread 03-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
ausi02
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliassami5 View Post
are those brackets strong enough to keep the seat inside the vehicle in case of a head on collision? Looks like the seat is only held down by 4 screws.
Seat belt would hold you in independently...
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Jon08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durfee View Post
I just bought my XJ a 2 weeks ago, 1999 Forest Green, 4.0 4x4 5 speed. Since the 5 speed was my requirement and the reason i did not go with a WJ or ZJ, i wanted some nice seats. I also just sold my Audi and the stock jeep seats are crap.

So i was going to go with WJ seats, but i did see any i truly liked. so i started to scour eBay and found a set of Recaro Seats out of a ION Redline. they were at a junk yard close by so I Bid $350 and won them last sunday.

First off I could not find any write ups that made me feel good about the swap. there is a reason for that. These seats are wide. almost to wide to fit, but clearancing with a 3lb sledge did the trick just fine.

I tried a bunch of fitment options. The saturn slides are integrated into the seat base so removing them was not a viable option. when i had tried both sliders the seat was to tall and at an awkward angle. so I took apart the factory slider and removed the brackets that are welded to it.

then i took flat stock and square stock to make my own brackets to fit the width of the new seats, drilled a couple holes. added a couple spacers. and Viola, a Cherokee Sport that has a bit of sport in it.(well looks at least)

I love the way these seat hold you in place, they are a very comfortable and firm seat. the higher angle for the knee helps reduce fatigue.

Where did you get the seats and how much were they? Looks very nice!! edit- sorry I didn't think it would copy the pictures, I hate when people do that. ooops edit again, I re-read the op and saw the price this time, sorry again.
2008 Sahara Auto 2 Door 20,450 miles JKUR Coils and shocks, Magnaflow, Superchip, Banks CAI, Winch, OBA and 4:88's

Last edited by Jon08JK; 03-22-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Jon08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
markodude
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to revive a really old post but do you know what the side to side width is on the sliders for the recaro seats? I'm trying to do an Audi A4 seat swap and the seats are really wide - 19" compared to the stock 11.5". Looks like you pretty much maxed it out and I'm trying to see if I should bother with these seats or just go a different route.
markodude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.