Rear storage project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rear storage project

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
xjinvail
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Rear storage project

Here is my new project!

xjinvail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
xjinvail
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Drawers are almost done! Paint and carpet here we come!

Unread 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
sega2010
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i was thinking of doing almost exactly like this! how does the sub sound now that its all tucked back in there? better, worse, same? looks good though. cant wait to see the finished project.
sega2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
xjinvail
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I think the sub sounds better...I had it facing towards the front but the bass seems to sound louder now. Still not loud enough for me. I'll have to let you know to be patient because I am lazy and it might be a little while til I'm finished with it, but I will post photos...and by the way thanks!
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I didn't need to fold down the seats so often, I would definitely do something similar. I think I'd just leave the bottom open though. I can hear my girlfriend now, "Why did you build a coffee table in the back of your Jeep?"
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've always wanted to do something like this, but I'm no carpenter

How hard was it? Any specialty tools needed? And if ya don't mind could you throw a rough estimate of the $$ you have into it for materials?

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
xjinvail
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It was pretty easy just need some motivation. If you can run a table saw or circular saw you will be good, oh yeah reading a tape measure helps too! I think I spent $35 on 2 pieces of particle board the drawer sliders were $16 a pair (the nice ones that can hold some weight) I've probably got $100 into it before the carpet. Good Luck!
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can find Arauco cabinet-grade plywood for $25 a sheet or so. I'd have used that instead. Particle board is okay as long as it doesn't get wet. Then you have a sponge instead of a board.
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^^
I think he said he is going to paint it. I think that will help with water. I've built many custom boxes with particle board, which I painted, and they hold up great! It would take a ton of water for it to become a sponge!

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Starboard M

I would put some latches on those drawers so they dont slide open when you park on a hill and open the hatch.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.