Rear of Jeep, creaking and popping... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rear of Jeep, creaking and popping...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Rear of Jeep, creaking and popping...

So here lately, Whenever I make a sharp turn or I hit bumps in the road or whatever...I have noticed that there is alot of noise coming from the rear of my jeep...it almost sounds like its coming from the inside....Shocks are RC 2.2 which are not even 1.5 years old. But with the way my shocks are set up. I had to drill the holes out in the stock upper rear shock mounts and I just put washers and bolts through the stock holes and tightened them down...seems to work fine....Leaf springs are full packs that are probably 3+ years old. I can't tell if the noise is coming from the leaf springs or from the shocks, but it is VERY annoying!!! Whenever I get out of the jeep...I can rock the jeep back and forth and hear it...creaking and popping...I have sprayed down the leaf spring bushings with some silcone spray, but it doesn't seem to help....just trying to figure out if its the leaf spring bushings or the shocks themselves either not secured correctly or just bad.....

Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If they are RC leafs I would put money on bad bushings. They have been pretty bad about premature bushing failure (been there). Even if they arent, popping just from shaking it side to side would have me looking into new bushings anyway. I would also grab the shock bodies and try to wiggle them around, giving them a nice little thrashing to check for obvious play.

Aside from that, turning up the radio louder has been proven to cure a number of irregularities.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
If they are RC leafs I would put money on bad bushings. They have been pretty bad about premature bushing failure (been there). Even if they arent, popping just from shaking it side to side would have me looking into new bushings anyway. I would also grab the shock bodies and try to wiggle them around, giving them a nice little thrashing to check for obvious play.

Aside from that, turning up the radio louder has been proven to cure a number of irregularities.
radio is usually my cure for everything...but when the wife is riding with me, she hates the music being loud...so then I have to listen to my jeep creaking and popping when I turn and such plus her complaining....talk about wanting to drive off a cliff

I think they are pro comp 3.5" leaf packs with 1" shackle.
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Who made the bushings? If its Omix Ada, replace them. Mine lasted 600 (hundred) miles.
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Who made the bushings? If its Omix Ada, replace them. Mine lasted 600 (hundred) miles.
I think they are pro comp bushings since i believe that my leaf springs are pro comp.....I would really like to get some new packs, but didn't really wnat to have to put out $300
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

They should be good. Its time to start looking over a bit, put it up on jack stands and move things around. If you have movement and play, you should be able to find it.
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How bad would it be to ride around with no rear shocks to eliminate that being it?
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dangerous, unless you have a perfectly smooth surface to ride on. Ever see those videos of the old jeeps from WW1 trials bouncing around like a pogo? Thats because they just had leafs.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.