Rear blocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rear blocks

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
troydg

Rear blocks

I have a 99 cherokee sport with a 3 inch rough country lift kit.. I wanted to lift the rear 1 inch higher because I like the look but I was thinking about a 2 inch block in the rear.. Any thoughts? Would it look good? Looks bad? Pros? Cons? I'm just curious lol I'm open to criticism

troydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
troydg

Could my shocks even handle another 2" in the rear?
Unread 10-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Teej

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have too much experience with blocks, but from what I've seen, they aren't good for leaf springs, and they promote axle wrap. You'd probably be better off with a 1" lift shackle or a 1" AAL, depending on how you want to do it.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
troydg

Interesting, thanks. What's axle wrap?
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Teej

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg View Post
Interesting, thanks. What's axle wrap?
Basically, axle wrap is when the axle is twisting under power. It can also make your leaves into an s shape.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I was looking for a couple more inches of lift on those 3" lift packs without rebuilding them or replacing them, I'd do 1" in block and 1" in shackle.

If the pack is fairly new, you're running stock gears, and has a decent overload spring, you can use a bit of block for lift.

The reason I wouldn't put it all into the shackle is because the shackle lift alone will cause stress on the leaf pack and can cause premature wear. You will also end up with a poor shackle angle and stiff ride.

A bit of both is a better compromise.
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
troydg

Could my shox handle another 1-2"
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe if you don't wheel it. You should make certain that you bumpstop correctly so you don't either stuff a tire into sheet metal, or bottom out your shocks.

It is marginally better to fully extend your shocks as the limiting factor if you disconnect and wheel, but bottoming out shocks will wear them out sooner.

Barpin eliminators will give you back an inch front and rear if you don't already have them - then you would probably be OK for shock length.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I really wouldnt recommend blocks at all, just from actual first hand experience back in my early days. The OE spring pad is smallish and wears out even the smallest blocks, rounding edges and loosening u bolts. That said, rugsucka has some good points, Ive run a solid 1" block in the past with no issues.

I gotta ask though, what are you trying to achieve here? Just level it out? What size tires are you running? Do you NEED more lift for tire fitment or "just because"? And if you have 3" rear lift, looking to add 2" more, you have more issues than shock length. You'll be in SYE/double cardan driveshaft territory.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Small blocks aren't as big a deal as people make them out to be and they're really only an issue if you rock crawl or off road race, really anything with a lot of torque or suspension travel. Plenty of mud trucks run much bigger blocks than 2" without issues. Hell, most modern trucks come with them from the factory now. The big problem with blocks is the cheap ones like to get spit out at ****ty moments.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.