Rare junkyard find today... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Rare junkyard find today...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #46
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and i wouldnt toss that kind of money into a 8.25....i mean come on...1.15" axle shafts...

2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #47
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive
i personally would not drive a broken semi float axle anywhere but right off the trail. it still has the possibility of beating the bearing and backing plate to death and still having the axle coming out of the housing while driving
Very true, just stating some examples/possibilities.
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #48
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx95

It's not about breaking a shaft and then getting to highway speeds moron. I just merely explained that breaking a c clip axle on road has happened. Especially when you twist the splines and weaken it. I'm not saying I wouldn't run a c clip axle due to safety factors, but since he has the opportunity to get the 44 upgrade, why shouldn't he?
Woah, you just had to call me a moron didn't you? My feelings are officially hurt. First off, I see what you are saying. Second, lay off the interwebz and quit web wheeling. Its quite obvious that you do much of this resding your last couple of post. get out and wheel your ****. This has to be the dumbest ****ing thread I've seen in quite some time. I'm just tired of seeing people think the XJ Dana 44 is worth it's weight in gold. I don't care which one he runs, but an 8.25 can be had for half of what they want for the 44 and I would put money on it that he wouldn't break it running 35s or smaller.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #49
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

anything over 35" tires really needs 5 ton rockwells
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #50
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
anything over 35" tires really needs 5 ton rockwells
According to 90% of the interwebz and Pirate....
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #51
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx95 View Post
It's not about breaking a shaft and then getting to highway speeds moron. I just merely explained that breaking a c clip axle on road has happened. Especially when you twist the splines and weaken it. I'm not saying I wouldn't run a c clip axle due to safety factors, but since he has the opportunity to get the 44 upgrade, why shouldn't he?
Because it's extremely overpriced when he can get basically the same axle for much cheaper that also bolts right in. Neither the 44 or the 8.25 is really worth dumping money into to upgrade anyway so why spend twice as much for the 44 when they're comparable in pretty much every way?

I see Dana 44s from XJs around here every couple months and they're always $250-400 yet I can get a 29 spline 8.25 for $50 pretty much any day of the week. If it was a good deal on the 44 I'd tell him to hop on it but imo $250 for it is way too much.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #52
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge

I see Dana 44s from XJs around here every couple months and they're always $250-400 yet I can get a 29 spline 8.25 for $50 pretty much any day of the week. If it was a good deal on the 44 I'd tell him to hop on it but imo $250 for it is way too much.
Maybe where you live but even an 8.25 here is around $200, which happens to be how much I paid for my 44.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #53
Wmhurt
2007 XK Commander 

I agree the 8.25 is a good axle.
Wmhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #54
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The major point all of you are ignoring is location. Location dictates what used parts are worth. In my location for example, junkyards ask $150-200 for axles and you have to pull them. And people generally base there personal prices off what the junkyards. Therefore $250 is a very fair price for a dana44. I would never pay $400 for a 44, but the op says that's standard pricing for even d35s. But whatever, your definitely right and I'm definitely wrong. I can tell because you pulled the webwheeler card. Hope that helps you sleep at night.
And that's the end to this virtual genitalia contest. More tech please..........
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #55
Mike934

Well I guess I should toss my 2 cents worth. Started with a non c clip 35. Wheeled it open for 3 years just fine, and ALOT of nasty stupid wot action trying to break it. Was on 31s and it held. Locked it with a Aussie, broke it 3rd wheeling trip out...I knew it was coming. Sold it.
Picked up a 27spline c8.25. Sold it before I ever swapped it.
Picked up a 29 spline from a junkyard, grabbed a spare set of 29spline shafts as well and thicker shafts than the 27spline. It was sold because I got a d44 on trade around the same time.
Picked up a xj d44 on trade, cleaned it up, threw in an Aussie and planned to run it. These have 1/4" thick tubes, 2.65" diameter, tons of aftermarket. Great great axle! I had 120 into it for the locker and some paint. I got offered 700 and it left my life.
I now have a 8.8 that's being built currently. My xj has sat motor & axle less for 2 months so I wasn't in a rush to find the right axle lol. The 8.8 is great, strongest of all the listed. Ill be running 33x10.5s and am confident I won't be breaking my 8.8. However if i was in a rush the 29 spline c8.25 would of been kept(reason at bottom), since i had time to play i did the 8.8. The 8.8 is ALOT of work, the nice thing is you get it setup correctly for pinion angle and such so no shims. Anti wrap perches were nice since I have a 5speed. Nicer shock mounts. After thinking on it now for 2 months I wish Kept my c8.25..
We welded the tubes, have a truss, disks and stronger e brakes. My 8.8 was a lucky junkyard find, out of a 93 Navajo(explorer). It has a oru cast iron diff cover and an Aussie and 1, yes 1 chromo shaft lol. I just went to pull the cover, not the axle because it was drum brakes. Ended up keeping it after seeing the locker behind the cover. I picked up a new set of chromos for it, and now have a spare long side(passenger side). It's getting a complete rebuild & disk swap.

My honest opinion comes in here..for my personal useage, i disk like the 44 or 8.8 because both axle shafts are different lengths. Passengers always longer. If I had to. Close, I would do the 8.8 because spare shafts are far more plentiful at yards. The c8.25 I like because both shafts are identical in length so you only really need 1 spare. I use my xj as an "expedition or overlanding" type rig so carrying only 1 spare vs 2 is nice. Unfortunely I didn't realize this till afterwards.
The 29 spline c8.25 with chromos and disk would of been cheaper than my 8.8 in all reality and it would hold 35s im sure. And a c clip can also be limped off a trail with disks. Sure it puts ALOT of load on just a few bolts but it can and has need done!
The 44 seems to be the holy grail but because how I use my xj I think more out of the box..breaking a 44 shaft can be problematic unless you have spares. You probably won't find a spare shaft in a junkyard and if there's only 1 yard close to you..well then you SOL...and if your hundreds of miles from home this can really suck! While a c8.25 axle, you can get a spare shaft out of most any yard & again you only need 1. There's 4 29 spline c8.25s axles in 1 of my 3 local yards. The other 2 I don't visit so idk what they have. The 8.8 is also much more plentiful, so getting a spare shaft in a pinch will also be easier than a 44 which is why I ended up with it.
If you can pick up a d44 for only 250 complete, I would use it, or flip it for a couple hundred in profit. Guess it depends on your use & opinion though. Ill be running my 8.8 since I've got money into it. But if I could go back. 2 months I would of kept my 29 spline and built it up a bit because it would of been quicker & cheaper. The 8.8 is plentiful for spare shafts in a pinch and stronger than any axle in my post, hence the reason I finally ended on it.
I wouldn't run a 44 for my reasons posted..everyone wants them, so I personally would grab it, clean it up and make sure its all good and flip it for 500 or so. Then grab a 8.8 if you have some time or a 29spline if your in a pinch. My personal opinion.
Mike934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #56
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Because it's extremely overpriced when he can get basically the same axle for much cheaper that also bolts right in. Neither the 44 or the 8.25 is really worth dumping money into to upgrade anyway so why spend twice as much for the 44 when they're comparable in pretty much every way?
Uh what? I really hope you don't mean that.

How on earth is a 44 or 8.25 not worth upgrading? If one is staying on 33's or even 35's then it totally worth building up. So no one should lock, truss, or put alloys into anything less than a d60 or equivalent? My locked 44 with only 33's will never be a problem strength wise for me. And mine was less than $200. Cost/benefit analysis. The price was right. Time was right. And it performs exactly how I want. Zero issues and I don't regret getting rid of my 29 spline 8.25.

Quote:
And not all worthy axles are $50. You have to pay to play. Simple as that. If all axles in one persons area cost $250+ then that's what they have to do. Just because YOU can get them for $50 doesn't mean we all can. But then again even if the 8.25 was $50 it's not worth buying because its pointless to upgrade it right?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #57
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Holy **** what did this thread turn into?

An XJ D44, and a C8.25 will both handle up to a 35" tire easily. OP if you are going to go above 35s anytime soon, look into finding a better axle. If not, either one of those are worth however much you're willing to spend as they are laughably stronger than a D35.

I don't know why this turned into an argument about 8.8s vs 44s, if you get to the point where you have a fully caged crawler on 37"+ tires you shouldn't even be considering 8.8s or 44s.

Like the guy above me said, the 8.25 benefits over those other axles because 8.8s and D44 have two different side shafts on each side. Whereas you can carry a spare shaft for a 8.25 and it will fit either side, negating any worries about it being have C-Clips. As far as trail riding goes, now if it breaks on the road, yes that could be a very bad time.

As for Motorcharge, I'm not entirely sure why you think a D44 or 8.25 aren't worth upgrading. For anyone who is going to stay between 33-35" tires they are more than strong enough to handle that. Not everyone needs to be on 40" boggers.

But really, everyone knows Full-Width D60s are the only way to go anyone who does otherwise is a stupid webwheeler who knows nothing about jeeps.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #58
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ
Like the guy above me said, the 8.25 benefits over those other axles because 8.8s and D44 have two different side shafts on each side. Whereas you can carry a spare shaft for a 8.25 and it will fit either side, negating any worries about it being have C-Clips. As far as trail riding goes, now if it breaks on the road, yes that could be a very bad time.

You can run the shorter d44 shaft on either side and it will still work.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #59
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
You can run the shorter d44 shaft on either side and it will still work.
Yes but you can't run the long shaft on the short side.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #60
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ

Yes but you can't run the long shaft on the short side.
But that means you only need one spare...

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.