Quick lift questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Quick lift questions

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
lax2696
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quick lift questions

Hi i am looking to buy a lift and i have two in mind. A rough country 3 in. series II. And a rubicon express 3.5 in. superflex. I have done the research on price and i know i will probably need a sye and a cv driveshaft. i was wondering if getting the rubicon is worth the extra $400. All input would be welcome. Thanks

lax2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

How long do you intend to keep this Jeep? From personal experience with both companies, Id invest in Rubicon Express if you care anything about longevity. I havent had a lot of negative experiences with RC, but I feel Ive been luckier than most. Im still running RC fixed LCA's and front shocks (n2.0), with many miles and trail time on both, and no issues. But on my previous XJ I bought their doubleshear trackbar, and I was very disappointed. Had play in it from the get go and I honestly feel the OEM unit was beefier (based on weight/measurements). I feel RC makes good entry level components that get the job done long enough for you to learn where there is room for improvement.

The RE 3.5" kit is a solid setup, but theres nothing "wrong" with the RC 3" persay. Wouldnt call it ideal but depending on your needs that may not matter enough to justify the price. No web wheeling info here, Ive put lots of trail time in with both products, and all this is just my honest opinion.

Another question that may help, are you after offroad performance or mainly just that aggressive "look" that a lifted XJ has? That will make a difference.

July 2013 COTM
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

simple... if youre gonna wheel the jeep even slightly hard stay away from RC. if your gonna splash puddles and cruise roads you should be ok with RC then. you get what you pay for.

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
lax2696
1993 XJ Cherokee 

hey thanks for the input. I am 17 and looking for something that will last about 2-3 years with possibly just changing shocks/leafs here and there. I am also looking for something that will not fall apart if i use for a prolonged time and i can just play in the hills where i live. I really won't be abusing it that much we don't have that hard of trails. thanks for the reply again.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeah so stay away from rough country... there stuff is junk... ask me how i know lol RE will last you longer and give you a better starting point.

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax2696 View Post
Hi i am looking to buy a lift and i have two in mind. A rough country 3 in. series II. And a rubicon express 3.5 in. superflex. I have done the research on price and i know i will probably need a sye and a cv driveshaft. i was wondering if getting the rubicon is worth the extra $400. All input would be welcome. Thanks
I'm newish to XJs but you mentioned a sye and cv driveshaft. Look into a hack n tap sye that will let you run a stock front driveshaft on the rear. It will save you a good amount of cash that you can put towards the RE kit. Just learned about these tonight.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also at 3-3.5 of lift you might want to look into getting an adjustable track bar. You XJ experts feel free to correct me if I'm giving out any wrong info.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
lax2696
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks so what I'm getting from all of you is that it is worth the extra $$$

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.