Question?? XJ vs KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Question?? XJ vs KJ

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Question?? XJ vs KJ

I'm starting to look for another Jeep. I like the Cherokee with the 4.0. But the thought came the other day that maybe I would maybe start looking at the Liberty's. I want this vehicle mainly as a commute truck which she commutes 55 miles one way to work. So fuel mileage is important. But I don't want her in a KILLED in ACCIDENT cracker box car either. This would be also used off-road living in rural Nevada there are lots of backroads we travel.
My question is what way would you guys go & why. Some where I read that the 4.0L gets better mileage than the 3.7L is this true? One other thing she commutes with two other adults. The other point is we would be replacing a Chevy Blazer 4x4 that gets around 19-20 MPG on the highway, with either of these get in that area?
Thanks.

PS whatever we buy will be USED not NEW. Will be in the 1999 era.

Last edited by CULate; 07-05-2009 at 10:54 PM..
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
tock172
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well offroad, the XJ is superior. Solid axles, much easier and higher lifts, more powerful engine, all that. For the KJ Liberty, you can only lift it about 3 inches without major expense. The engine doesn't have much power, and I don't think it's a good card all around. If you drive an XJ smoothly, and not like a grandma, but just smoothly, you can easily get 21 to 20 MPG, with the 4.0 and the auto trans. With a 5 speed, even higher. Plus 98-99 are popular years, you can get one loaded in good shape for cheap.

The only problem i see is that the back seats aren't great, but big deal. I think in this case the XJ might even win.
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
StaleAle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Well offroad, the XJ is superior. Solid axles, much easier and higher lifts, more powerful engine, all that. For the KJ Liberty, you can only lift it about 3 inches without major expense. The engine doesn't have much power, and I don't think it's a good card all around. If you drive an XJ smoothly, and not like a grandma, but just smoothly, you can easily get 21 to 20 MPG, with the 4.0 and the auto trans. With a 5 speed, even higher. Plus 98-99 are popular years, you can get one loaded in good shape for cheap.

The only problem i see is that the back seats aren't great, but big deal. I think in this case the XJ might even win.
Cargo space in a KJ blows too. That said I know some people with some pretty slick KJ's granted they did have to put a lot of cash into them and one is being converted to a solid axle. IMHO if you are using it more on the street then go with the KJ. Safety rating is better and the IFS is much smoother on the road. I live in Reno and I know a lot of the roads you would be driving in will be fine with a stock KJ. Now if you want to have some fun off road then go with the XJ and put a lift on it.
StaleAle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
lilacsl2
OhDoyleRules

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULate View Post
PS whatever we buy will be USED not NEW. Will be in the 1999 era.
You aren't looking at a Liberty then, didn't make the kj's until '02 if memory serves.

If you are commuting 110 miles daily in the rig, why not just buy a xj to play with on the weekends and a little gas miliage getter for the daily commute? The difference between 17-20 mpg in a xj and 35-40 mpg in a commuter car would pay for the itself within a couple years.
2007 Dodge 1500 Laramie, Hemi, 20's, 33's, all the goodies.
lilacsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Price wise, the XJ wins hands down.

The cheapest KJs I see in my area are $4500
You can get a nice XJ for $3000 easily, a little more for the mint, low mile rigs.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Liberty's are crap. Sorry kj dudes. They look horrible, ifs is garbage, and the 3.7 is really gutless. Also the dash is silly looking.

Find a decent 99 xj with a high pinion axle, newer high flow intake, and everything else.

Also, the xj has cheaper, useful parts.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
89xjchris
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wel; here is a chart for you.

XJ=Male
KJ=Female
can we just keep our ****ing comments to ourselves about whats a jeep and what isnt. Whether you like it or not its a jeep and he's on jeepforum. Jeeps are like boobs, some are big, some are small, some look fake and some look real, but they are still boobs so get the **** over it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
Use duct tape. That always quiets the lady's down when they start kicking and screaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdad View Post
And remember, anything that is camo is not gay.
89xjchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsl2 View Post
You aren't looking at a Liberty then, didn't make the kj's until '02 if memory serves.

If you are commuting 110 miles daily in the rig, why not just buy a xj to play with on the weekends and a little gas miliage getter for the daily commute? The difference between 17-20 mpg in a xj and 35-40 mpg in a commuter car would pay for the itself within a couple years.
I knew the Liberty would have to be 02 or newer the Cherokee would be in the 99 era. We own a 98 GC Limited 5.9. I just don't want to put my wife in a Killed in Accident compact car. If we can get 19-20 out of a 4.0 & the 3.7 isn't much better on mileage then the 4.0 is the way for us to go. She only drives the commute once or twice a week for 9 months, she is a special ed teacher, then rides with the other teachers she commutes with. We have no use for a car other than the commute & we own 3-4x4s now. The Blazer is going to be replaced the engine is getting tired & starting to rattle. I just want one 20 MPG consistent 4x4. Our ZJ does OK on the commute with my wife, she gets 18 MPG on the commute, but only around 14 in town.
Thanks for the input. It looks like the XJ is going to be the replacement.
Thanks again for all the input.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
tock172
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah sounds like to XJ would suite you then, just drove it slow
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Going on past experience, I have a '97 for 13 years now, commuted 80 miles a day for 4 years. Had an '04 KJ from new for 4 years, my wife's DD.
XJ: sturdy, dependable, easy to work on and maintain, more torque 20-22mpg possible. Seats suck! Back seats for adults? Forget it. More cargo room, although lowering or removing seats necessary.

KJ: more comfortable ride (IFS), better brakes (4w disc), sturdy solid feel, better seats for long rides, lacked power with a/c on and loaded, 23 mpg at best (2wd a/c not on all highway) city mpg 15-17. Heavier vehicle.

Traded in the KJ for a better mpg commuter vehicle and kept the XJ (148k miles and looks ,runs and drives great.)

Bottom line: A good clean XJ with aftermarket seats(Mastercraft?), really good shocks and tires. With the money you would save over a KJ, you could have a realy capable and comfortable XJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.