Question on muffler, and new muffler to buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Question on muffler, and new muffler to buy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question on muffler, and new muffler to buy

So, this is my first post, and will be getting more up but first, i have done a lot of research and still cant figure out what my muffler size is, i have a 2001 Cherokee Sport and I would like to change my muffler to a flowmaster super 10....does anyone know what size the stock muffler is? This is due to that I don't want to buy a muffler and have it be the wrong size. Also, how does the Super 10 sound on the cherokee? I have looked ok numerous youtube videos and like the sound very much, i would just like an extra opinion, thanks!

witchdoctor7710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

stock is 2.25" inlet and outlet, with the inlet being centered and the outlet offset. i just looked at summits site, and they didn't have the flowmaster 10 in that size. those are gonna be crazy loud, im not sure if you really want it that loud. i have something similar to a thrush welded and love the sound and it is plenty loud. only $30 too. i got the whole catback installed for 180 with 2.5" piping.

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ok, thanks for letting me know, also though,my friend just put super 10's on his ~02 GC and its louder than before, but not as loud as i thought, unless its different for xjs?...and well if i go the 2.5 inch would welding it work where the connections are from the start of the muffler to the tailpipe? or does it need to be an exact fit? because 1/2 of an inch shoulden't be too crazy i think, sorry if i'm such a noob haha
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

and also because this guy was able to get the flowmaster on and its sounds sick..now i'm not discrediting you but he also said that its stock pipe with a 2.5 inch flowmaster, so im guessing the 2.5 would be ok then??
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
niallmcpat
1996 XJ Cherokee 

so, it wont be as loud as you would think because you are keeping the stock 2.5" pipes, it would be worth it to spend a little more and buy a catback from flowmaster because it will increase your pipe size on the muffler outlet. i just put on a wonderful gibson exhaust that expanded it out to a 3.5 inch pipe, sounds awesome, and noticeable power increase as well...
niallmcpat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Check out my youtube video...I have mine on there with my FM super 10...now I have updated since then, but in the video I have the stock downpipe going to a 2.25" Hi flow cat then to a 2.5" Center in/Center out FM super 10 with a 2.5" tailpipe to a 3" tip.

Now I have 2.5" all the way from the header to tailpipe and still using the same tip....much louder and I don't think it has broken in yet...

I need to post up a video of my current sound, but I still would like to find a way to make it a little deeper.
BTW: the welds on this setup were horrible...part of the reason I had it all redone.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.