Question with a lift and MPG - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Question with a lift and MPG

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question with a lift and MPG

I am currently looking at saving for a lift for my 01 Cherokee. What you you think of this lift? http://www.quadratec.com/products/16301_804_07.htm

I am mainly getting this one because of the price, but skeptical because of the spacer blocks with the lift and not springs. Any comments are appreciated, and also if this is a crap buy, what 2" lifts do you recommend?

Now for the gas, would a 2" lift do anything to my gas mileage? because I know that bigger tires will kill it, but I don't know about smaller lifts like this

And one more thing i remembered to mention, my tires are P235/75R15 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains, so i am guessing if I did the math right, that they are 28's or 29's, so would these look stupid with a 2" lift? or would they still look good?

Thanks!

Unread 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same size tire.. and I have 4.5" lift.. it doesn't look horrible, but I need bigger tires. 2" lift with these tires will look completely fine

,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the one you linked has the add a leaf, which would be better than the block. the spacers for the coils are absolutely fine. this is a good kit, rough country and zone bb's are similar in quality, and the rear shackle lift would be easier to install than the add a leaf.

2" and a bit bigger tire wont really do much to your gas mileage. i averaged 20 driving across the country with 30" tires and 2" lift. 29's will look just fine, i'll give you pics of my jeep with the 29's and then the 30's

with the 235's (brand new leaf springs are a little stiff still in the rear for these pics)

with 30's

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The womans 99 is lifted 3 rear and 2 front with 235's. Looks great and gets 17-21 mpg.
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ok! thanks a lot guys, this really helped, and durt, when you said the leaf springs were stiff, you mean that the back wasn't as high as the front? and what did you mean by the shackle lift kit? because thats not an option on the link i gave you, so i dont know what lift you're talking about. I'll post some pictures in a few days of my jeep as it is right now just so you guys can get a good look at it haha
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor7710 View Post
ok! thanks a lot guys, this really helped, and durt, when you said the leaf springs were stiff, you mean that the back wasn't as high as the front? and what did you mean by the shackle lift kit? because thats not an option on the link i gave you, so i dont know what lift you're talking about. I'll post some pictures in a few days of my jeep as it is right now just so you guys can get a good look at it haha
they were brand new so they were stiff, so the back sat a little higher.
rubicon express is a good company, but they dont offer the shackle budget boost. this kit will be of similar quality but easier to install IMO. and quadratec will kill you on the shipping. rough country will give a 10% discount to jeepforum members, call in and ask to talk to jeff.
rough country lift here
dont mind it saying 1.5" the shackles give you 2" of lift, and the coil spacers measure out to the same 1 3/4" as the rubicon express spacers

March 2012 COTM
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

awesome man, thanks a lot! i'll deff. be getting this one soon then, and when you say 10% discount, would that be for the whole thing? or the shipping? and in the hopefully soon future, once i ask for jeff, he'll know what to do? lol....and sorry i'm being such a bug with the questions but also if it says 1.5, why would it give you 2" of lift? just wondering.
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor7710 View Post
awesome man, thanks a lot! i'll deff. be getting this one soon then, and when you say 10% discount, would that be for the whole thing? or the shipping? and in the hopefully soon future, once i ask for jeff, he'll know what to do? lol....and sorry i'm being such a bug with the questions but also if it says 1.5, why would it give you 2" of lift? just wondering.
its 10% off the price of the kit. call, ask for jeff, and ask him for the jeepforum member discount.

the shackles are adjustable from 1.5" to 2" of lift. i think they say it is a 1.5" kit because the 1 3/4" spacer doesn't give you a full 2" of lift, just a 1/4" short. i think they call it the 1.5" so they dont have unhappy customers about the front spacer.

no worries about the questions

March 2012 COTM
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
LankyXJ
Mumbling Jeeper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not trying to deter you from the option, but if you do a shackle lift on the original leaf pack (if this is your situation) it may cause it to invert/sag much quicker. As well as the exhaust gets in the way and can provide a nice, fun sound. The pictures below show what I mean, this was the TeraFlex 2" BB. Just a heads up.

shackle-showing-sag-rear-spring_-small.jpg shackle-exhaust-problem-_-small.jpg

Also, these were my original springs with ~70,000 miles (6 years) on them alone, and within 2 weeks after having the shackles installed.

My Hardly Ever Updated Cardomain Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
So, did you punch yourself in the face with a wrench hard enough to nearly knock yourself out? That's the best.

Last edited by LankyXJ; 03-16-2012 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: You'd think I'd know how to post pictures by now . . .
LankyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That can happen. But I didn't notice any increase in sag when i had the shackle in with my 180,000 mile springs

March 2012 COTM
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

For that money I'd say there are better (and cheaper) options.

Stock 225/235 look okay with 2" of lift, but bigger tires fill it out nicer. I just put 31s on mine and had to trim a little, nothing major. Looks real good

As for MPG, I havent gotten any calculations yet as I just threw them on a few days ago. It will go down unfortunatley. But it looks awesome and I love it so its worth it
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
For that money I'd say there are better (and cheaper) options.

Stock 225/235 look okay with 2" of lift, but bigger tires fill it out nicer. I just put 31s on mine and had to trim a little, nothing major. Looks real good

As for MPG, I havent gotten any calculations yet as I just threw them on a few days ago. It will go down unfortunatley. But it looks awesome and I love it so its worth it
And those options are? I don't think there are any better "brand new" options. Sure you can find stuff used. But that's obvious.

March 2012 COTM
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah same here with the "new" options thing, and well im not gonna be getting any specific kind yet, cause im asking a friend of mine who had done a ton of lifts and knows what would be best im my case mainly since he can check the truck out in person, and with that 1 3/4" spacer thing, that would kinda be annoying to know its not 2" lol, is every 2" lift like that? or only this one in particular?
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just installed longer shackles and imediatly noticed my springs inverted. They have 86xxx on them with only a few months of light wheeling. My exhaust pipe contacted the rear shackle so a sazall took care of it
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Most 2" spacers are NOT 2".

The Cheaper and Better options?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XLK

or

http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1209

The RE kit gives your extra brake lines and new shocks, both not needed at 2".

If your going to spend almost 300 dollars why not fork up a little extra and get OME full packs with coil spacers?
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , mpg , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.