question for guys running long arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > question for guys running long arms

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

question for guys running long arms

i was just wondering what you guys did with the stock lower control arm brackets on the frame end. do you cut them all the way off or just grind it until its close to flush with the frame?

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i cut mine off pretty close to the frame, was going to grind them down flush but i got lazy. ill eventually clean them up when i get frame stiffiners
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's kind of difficult to take them down flush unless you really work at it and cut off a little at a time. If you try to do it all at once (right between the rail and the bracket) your grinder/sawzall will want to press up into the rail and cut it. Out of all the half-*** welded things on XJ's, those brackets are spot-welded in very well. The main concern is the inner edge of the brackets that stick out -- make sure your lower arms will clear them while under articulation.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
xj_96_FP

2000 XJ Cherokee 

i cut them flush to the frame, then put a krylon touch so they didnt rust
xj_96_FP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mine aren't perfectly flush, but I'm pretty happy with how they came out considering how much of a pain it was to trim them.

Spot-weld city

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.