question about towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > question about towing

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

question about towing

i have a 1998 cherokee 4.5 inch lift. 32s stock gears auto. class 3 hitch. my stepdad has a car trailer its a decent sizer trailer about as long as his dodge ram 2500. i wanna tow my mustang from my grand mothers house to my moms about an hour and a half trip. my stepdad says and seems to think my jeep wouldnt be able to tow it. could my jeep tow it? or would it be to much strain on my drive train?

Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
pumpkinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I just towed a 93 ford explorer about 140 miles last week using a tow dolly, I would like to say that we kept it under 50 mph and it was still hard to slow down. I know its a horrible idea to tow a vehicle/trailer that weighs more then the tow vehicle, but it was a emergency tow.

Now that said I would not do it again unless I had a brake control on the trailer, The jeep engine was fine with power just a bit back heavy stopping.

If you have not towed much I would recommend against towing with the jeep, I have seen way to many trucks and trailers lose control because of unexperienced drivers.
And using a flatbed trailer you will have to make sure the weight is balanced correctly or it would be extremely unsafe to tow with.

I do recommend a tranny cooler for towing.

Why not use the Dodge Ram to tow with?
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Depends highly on your hitch setup and experience driving with trailers. I wouldn't suggest it.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

tranny cooler x2 and only wit brakes. otherwise, use the dodge. ha.

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ive towed a few times already. one was a grand cherokee on a tow dolly but it wasnt far at all. and yea stoping wasnt fun lol. my jeep doesnt have a cooler but once i have the extra cash im puttin one on. we might but the trans on the dodge has been acting up. tommrow when he wakes up hes going to get me the weight on the traielr to see if it and my mustang weigh more then my jeep. also itll be about 30 to 45mins on the highway. the rest is all 55 or 50 mph speedlimit roads. so if i were to the only thigns id have to worry about would be stoping and my trans temp? the power will be fine?
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

for flatbed trailer you need to have the weight balanced just right or else you can get trailer wobble and with a light vehicle like the Cherokee it can be easier to lose control. Do you have a rear sway bar?
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

right now im running no sway bars.
Unread 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

then you are going to die towing that.
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Bones741
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinXJ View Post
i have a 1998 cherokee 4.5 inch lift. 32s stock gears auto. class 3 hitch. my stepdad has a car trailer its a decent sizer trailer about as long as his dodge ram 2500. i wanna tow my mustang from my grand mothers house to my moms about an hour and a half trip. my stepdad says and seems to think my jeep wouldnt be able to tow it. could my jeep tow it? or would it be to much strain on my drive train?
Well everyone know the answer to this, sll the mustang and buy parts for the jeep.
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinXJ View Post
right now im running no sway bars.
You need the rear for towing.
Unread 11-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
indierthanthou
2000 XJ Cherokee 

at the company I work for, I occasionally have to haul a flatbed lawn trailer with one of the pickups. I can attest that with little experience, even with trailer brakes and a tranny cooler, you're still in for a rough drive. I would recommend against it.
indierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.