question about body part - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > question about body part

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
citizenrain
1991 XJ Cherokee 

question about body part

Have a quick question about a body part on my 91. I have these s****y looking vinyl panels on the exterior as indicated. I have looked through several online parts catalogs and haven't been able to track down a replacement. Has anyone come across these things aftermarket before and can point me in the right direction?

Mine are starting to peel up and fall off. I lost one the other day out on the road somewhere. I have another that looks like its about to come off soon and I'll pull it off myself before I lose that one too. They all look weather beaten to hell and I'd just like to find new ones to make it look right. If that isn't possible, what is a good method for cleaning the old glue and crud off the body so it looks halfway decent?

Thanks again for the help!

citizenrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's not worth paying for new ones. Tear them off and get some glue remover stuff. I don't know what brand of glue stuff to get.
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

They're ugly even when the aren't peeling. Do what PaYankee said above. Rip that **** off and if your paint is jacked up underneath just paint it with rattler can bedliner. Looks really good
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

X2 ^ mine auto ejected while Mudding.
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

They're a salt/moisture trap, thus a breeding ground for rust. Get rid of them asap! Usually I have respect for original features, but this is one factory feature that should never have existed in the first place, and won't be making me shed any tears if rendered completely extinct. They discolored and shrank over the years, and now if they're not falling off, they're trapping water, salt, and grime and rotting the metal behind them.

I still don't have any photos since I bought my XJ (shame on me), but I got rid of mine and don't regret it one bit. I haven't really made an effort to remove the tape chunks/residue left behind because I'm going to be having some rather major body/paint work done this year anyway, but I've read that a heat gun and a piece of rubber hose to rub with will take it all off.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
VNilla
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah yeah do what koolaid5 said. Throw some bedliner on that.

Breaking bolts and taking names.
VNilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.