Quality tie-rod for 6" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Quality tie-rod for 6" lift

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quality tie-rod for 6" lift

So far i've looked at rustys, currie correctlync, and the currie ultimate steering conversion from savvy with the heat treated rods. Naturally the only one it seems that i could run with my lift is rustys and i really dont want to spend the same money and get worse quality. Any other suggestions that will work with 6" of lift?

WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have the Currie on my xj. It has a 6.5" lift and a drop pitman arm that came with the kit. The Currie kit works fabulous for me.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd suggest Currie or IRO. I've never owned Currie, but it's like stock but stronger. I have IRO personally and love it. It runs heim joints instead of TRE's.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I'd suggest Currie or IRO. I've never owned Currie, but it's like stock but stronger. I have IRO personally and love it. It runs heim joints instead of TRE's.
I take it your running the Over The Knuckle conversion? If so i have a couple questions for you if you dont mind
WJC #292
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
I have the Currie on my xj. It has a 6.5" lift and a drop pitman arm that came with the kit. The Currie kit works fabulous for me.
Did you figure out your limiting factor or measure from the ground to your TRE's before putting on the currie rods? And do you do alot of flexing with your jeep? I read that the reason for having the suggested height of 4" is because any more then that and your tie rods could become your limting factor which voids the warranty and all kinds of bad crap
WJC #292
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have the IRO OTK also and no problems yet. Very simple to install and adjust; put it on a little over two years ago.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnwelding View Post
I take it your running the Over The Knuckle conversion? If so i have a couple questions for you if you dont mind
Yes. Ask away!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnwelding View Post
Did you figure out your limiting factor or measure from the ground to your TRE's before putting on the currie rods? And do you do alot of flexing with your jeep? I read that the reason for having the suggested height of 4" is because any more then that and your tie rods could become your limting factor which voids the warranty and all kinds of bad crap
I didn't look into that no. Are you talking about limiting factor as far as flexing? I know there is no binding in the steering geometry when I flex. But my shocks limit my travel (I know its not good on shocks) I will install limit straps one of these days.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am running a IRO tierod on my XJ its taken several hard hits and it's still strait, I highly recommend it !
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
I didn't look into that no. Are you talking about limiting factor as far as flexing? I know there is no binding in the steering geometry when I flex. But my shocks limit my travel (I know its not good on shocks) I will install limit straps one of these days.
Yeah i was talking about flexing. Im not sure my travel honestly which is part of the reason i veered away from the currie set up. I was wondering why people didnt suggest limit straps as an option though.
WJC #292
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

To all the guys with the OTK set up, its really just a bolt on kit? I know they seem to emphasize that but i want to make sure its something i can do in one day with no problems.

Also is the ground clearance gain significant? Because thats something i need with all the stumps around my trails
WJC #292
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, total bolt-on unless you upgrade to the 5/8" hardware which is actually a pretty easy step. Not totally sure how much extra clearance it gives, but the bottom of the tie rod sits a touch higher than the bottom edge of the ears on the knuckles.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My IRO tierod was put to another test yesterday, I hit a fox going 50mph and the tierod took the impact right infront of the pumpkin it didn't bend or anything.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.