Ive named her Project-XJ. I currently dont have any major plans yet because my main project has been my TJ and the XJ was going to be my parts hauler and back up for when the TJ has to go down for another round of mods or repair. Phase 1 for the XJ is mainly making her road worthy/legal in Virginia because she has spent her entire life in Florida and has a plethora of little things that need to be fixed so I can just be legal.
Here are some of the pics.
This was the first pic I was able to get and it was from Google maps of all places. I had to map out my trip back from Pensacola since I happened to go down there on detachment.
After I got down there I picked it up from a mechanic cause my in laws thought the brakes felt funny. Well the mechaniic "replaced" the front brakes. Apparently he never took it for a drive cause there was a thumping every time you stepped on the brakes. I drove it for a day just trying to find any drivability issues.
The only one was the brake issue. I pulled the driver front wheel and found that the rotor had a bad casting and was thumping because of that.
the bad rotor
I also wound up replacing both window tracks, motors, and switches on the front doors with JY parts. I now have operable windows.
I then took her to work one night and noticed that I couldnt see anything because the headlights had 0 reflective coating left so another trip to the parts store netted me 2 brand new headlights. The difference was literally night and day.
Here are the 2 new headlights
The head unit had 2 volume settings off and low. Also the front 2 speakers didnt work. I convinced the wife to let me get a new stereo so I could at least have some tunes and volume control for the 1000 mile drive back. I picked this Sony H/U up for 79 bucks at pep boys. And would you know the front 2 speakers work now. Guess the OEM unit was worse than I thought.
Here is a quick pic of the JY donor down in Pensacola. It was at Butler u-pull-it. Good people to deal with. They gave military discounts and were able to point me right to it.
I also decided to bleed as much of the old brake fluid out as I could so I could have fresh fluid. No pics of that but we all know what it looks like.
So then began the 1000 mile journey back home. She was safe enough mechanically to make the trip. Also want to give a big shout out to the Holiday Inn express down there for not wanting to kill me for doing all the work in their parking lot.
Pic from NAS Pensacola at a buoy storage area.
Topping off the tank as I was leaving
As I started to leave the gas station my check gauges light came on and said I had no oil pressure. Awesome way to start. I checked the fluid level and she was actually 2 quarts low even though my in laws said that the oil was just changed. Im guessing they didnt add enought cause there are no leaks on the motor anywhere. So I added the required amount and low and behold I had pressure. Good. So the journey began.
Stopped at South of the Border and took a quick pic
Got her home with no issues.
And now into the garage with her.
I noticed that the reverse lights didnt come on so a quick search netted me some info about the NSS. It was pretty easy to take apart and rehab. Granted I had to do it twice because I forgot to clean the contact springs on the arm.
NSS on the workbench.
After everything was said and done I have reverse lights.