Project - Rehab - 96 XJ Country - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project - Rehab - 96 XJ Country

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Project - Rehab - 96 XJ Country

Hello Jeepers!

Last year the starter gave me an issue. I hit it with a hammer.. This year it happened a couple of times.. Also I noticed my alt wasn't putting out right.. Also when I turned wide right sometimes at slow speeds it would shudder. Sometimes if I idle too long it shudders, misfires and I have to romp on it to kind of make it pop and stop the misfiring. I kept driving it.. Until 2 weeks ago.. A rock wall jumped out and hit me in the same fender and bumper as before and I blew my tire up, cracked my rim.. and I kept driving on it, about 3 miles to a gas station.. Hopped out popped the spare on and drove off the jeep going left my wheel right but it drove.. I had a full size spare on it so I kept driving.. All my tired were 235-75-15 the spare was 215-75-15 and I was noticing severe death wobble at 55 MPH all the way to slowing down to 20 then I could speed up.. Anyway I was just like FUDGE THIS.. I get home and I see fluid pouring under the jeep and I try and pop my hood - nope. the latch system broke - took me 4 days to open it. I even tried to take out the head lights but before I got to the first bolt I tried one last time to reach up between the lectric fan and the real fan - no room to spare.. pulled and BAM they unlatched.. the plastic piece had broken and it came off the mount so I zip tied it - It works now =) I was ready to just crash it and give up.. Instead I dunno.. I had an itch..

Alt - New one - Got the best one AA Had.

Starter - Again put on the best one they had (I have a 40% off discount at AA) I had to spend money on these two things because its the blood line

Tires - New Goodyear Wrangler Radial 235-75-15 to match my others. I had it put on a steel rim. Now I needed a new rim.. And im like why am I bothering worrying about rims with this body damage.

I started to care, My mom would have hated her jeep in this condition.

So since I went this far TUNE UP TIME

Oil change with Pennzoil High Mileage (Only one I could find with ZooD or what ever the Zinc ingredient is)
new Fuel Filter
1 Quart Lucus
K&N Oil Filter
K&N Air Filter
Champion Cooper Spark Plugs (What jeeps come with)
New Distributor Cap
New Spark Plug wires
New Top water hose
Fresh Anti Freeze
Brake fluid and Power Steer fluid (also obtained a cap for the brake fluid that only had a baggie zip tied on it for the past 7 years)
New Wipers - One of those One piece new fangles ones.. Ill get the details later (2 in front 1 in back) Fixed the hose to the sprayer in the back.

I then detailed it in and out.. I started cleaning every crack and went all OCD even cleaned out behind the gas cover.. and the body damage got to me.. I needed the jeep to look right.. if I was going to spend this money now, it needs a new suspension, new brakes im like.. It needs the body work and rims soooo

I found 3 Black Mesh rims from 89-92 - These match my 96 Mesh Silver Rims (Mine are painted black) except mine are flat the stock ones are gloss. mine have silver caps the stock ones have little jeep caps that are unreadable. besides that they are in great shape. So I have 6 usable rims, I only need 5.. Heres where I need an opinion.. (Pics to follow) Do I put 2 stock black on front or rear and 2 painted to match.(2 of one rim, 2 of another, last Rim for spare) Should I paint the gloss or the flat to match the other and just replace the broken rim with which ever I choose? (3 of one rim, 1 of another)on use my steel for my spare and send the other 2 rims to another jeeper? Should I paint all 5 flat or gloss? See lots of choices.. Ill get back to this

So I have rims for sale if someone needs them.. When I say sale I mean BEST OFFER.. Im lookin to share the jeep love I find here.

I also now got over whelmed.. I went to a junk yard yesterday - Leos Scrap in Walden NY - I suggest no jeeper go there, they are real pricks, tried selling me broken pieces and even when I thought I looked enough I ended up with a broken bumper cap and a bent bumper where it attaches to the brackets the bracket was bent out to look straight but you can tell their was damage.. I didn't noticed it..

He also sold me a Green Sports fender with the Trim and inner plastic.. Cool.. he didn't rip me off on this.. but he really gave me **** on the bumper. Well as if someone meant me to be happy I found a BRAND NEW FENDER AND BRAND NEW CHROME BUMPER TODAY!! And im pretty happy and pissed at the waste of money at the dump.. rip off place.. so anyway I find this.. I p[ick it up and guess what I find.. My matching fender.. 2 hours away.. I am going to get it tomorrow or Tuesday.. this way I have to do NO PAINT WORK.. cause its the exact jeep with the exact pin striping..

YES I now have 3 good fenders.. Im using the white one.. the brand new one fits an 87 to 96 and its black and so does the sports.. so the extra fenders are up for sale. ONCE AGAIN BEST OFFERS share the love people (In classifieds) GReen and Brand New in box Black

So chrome bumper or beat up black one? I like the chrome but the look of the slightly beat up (its not tooo bad) black painted one.. ok Chrome it is.. BLACK ONE IS UP FOR GRABS IF SOMEONE NEEDS IT I guess lol

I then Adjusted my headlights and noticed I had a yellow one and a silver star white.. yes I replaced the yellow one.

So here I go for more babbling..

I need shocks want springs
I need to figure out my rim situation.
I need to mount this new fender, bumper and trim (this trim is black not grey.. should I paint all my trim black or should I try and match the jeep grey? also one bumper cap is black the other is grey.. should I repaint them both a flat grey, gloss grey, flat black or gloss black.. remember im going to use the chrome bumper. PICS TO COME

Also - the headlight bezels are both black.. one was broke when we bought it I put a replacement black one in and replaced the other with black cause I liked it but now they are sun discolored I am not sure to gloss black, flat black, gloss white or flat white them.. I think I will flat black them and flat black my rims and then also flat black my caps, the fender trim.. is going to be grey one one side but the side with damage has damage to the back one and no front one.. so I am replacing the front right trim anyway with flat black and I guess I should replace the rear trim too but not unless its free.. I have a little damage back there it covers..

OR SHOULD I REMOVE THE FLARES?? OMG the choices lol.

Peeling the plastic trim mold on the doors? I did it on the side with damage.. I like it but both rear smaller patches cover small dents in those areas.. I got hit my a garbage truck on one side and the rock that hit me in front had a friend that hit me in back too.. PICS TO COME

Lots of babbling..

I also have / had an ignition problem.. I turn the key and nothing.. So I just wired my starter to a button - Presto I press a button my starter cranks.. the key turns on everything else.. Now my key is giving me an issue turning.. my friend used the door key in it and tried to turn it with plyers.. I almost punched him.. So anyway I have to jiggle it to turn it.. the button always starts it but the key doesn't.. so I tried to remove the whole key ignition system and I noticed I needed something to unlock the steering wheel, Unlock the shifter.. and I was going to hotwire the buttons to switches.. Too much at once so I put it back and Ill get back to that but the key still doesn't turn easy ..

So shocks? I want to lift it if I am spending money. It adds flare, it adds mobility and it needs it.. I just get nervous ordering these budget kits when I actually need good shocks. Almost everything on this jeep is from 96 and it still runs like a beast EXCCEPT

my issue with the shuddering, if I take a left turn too wide and slow it spits at me.. no idea why.. Also if I get stuck in traffic for more than 15 minutes shell start spitting and popping and misfiring I have to romp on it put it in neutral and keep revving it until I am out of traffic or like I did today.. drive over the medium and thru the woods to the other exit I go.. I don't know what the issue is.. New Filter, the pump was done about 5 years ago and I put in new plugs and new wires and.. everything seems ok..

Well more too come I have been babbling a bit..

Questions - Answers

Starter - New
Alt - New
Tune Up - Done
Bumper - Chrome (Sell flat black one)
Bumper Caps - ??
Fender Flares - Remove? Paint Flat Black? Leave alone until find matching grey?
Rims - 2x gloss 2x flat or all 4x flat or gloss or 3 flat, one gloss painted black-
Super Charger? Ill blow the engine wont I?
Shocks Struts and Other Suspension - NO FREAKING IDEA

Thanks Again =)

PS I am looking at a COWL Intake now.. I kind of like that idea.

PS my interior is pimpin grey with matching fake wood trim and wood trimmed mirror and steering wheel cover to match.. pioneer radio with 1500 watt infinities with a pair of 100 watt Kenwood mids in the ceiling. I have blue LED lights and Just got for free those annoying racer light strips for under the cars.. I got 3 blue ones for under the jeep.. a ultra white one for inside the engine bay..

Should I put 1 blue on each side and a blue under the bumper with a white inside the radiator bay or should I put 2 blues under the jeep and a blue in the bay.. too much putting a forth one in back? if it wasn't free I wouldn't do it for fun.

OK here is a pic of the jeep and the jeep now painted a little

front.jpg

frontpaint.jpg

~ Ain't not place to Jeep like a New York Street ~
DanTreE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So I found another guy on this forum who is currently doing the same project.. This shows me the stock white bezzles for headlights and black outs.. the only difference is I have a chance to leave the grill white.. should I go white or black. In the same sense I feel like painting where it says Jeep black too.. And to piggy back this.. the wiper arms.. should I repaint them black or paint them gloss white? I am leaning hard towards painting all the grey in the jeep black..

Ideas? Black/White/Mixed?
642962d1373055331-1996-jeep-cherokee-country-build-image-1572965552.jpg

695009d1379729903-1996-jeep-cherokee-country-build-image-792996392.jpg

Unread 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The Jeep community is one of the most homogeneous, conforming groups I've come across. Black wheels, black rockers, black flares, black grill ad nauseum. Yeah, it looks fine, and I frankly do like the black grill & bezels on a white XJ (I also love chrome on 84-96 XJs), but.... What about bringing that silver back to life and bringing the silver into the grill and bezels, too? There are chrome grills and bezels you could use with your chrome bumper (your bumper is chrome, right? Some of your ramblings are dizzying to try to follow). My opinons are to either roll with black door handles, side mirror, bezels, and grill, or chrome door handles, mirrors, bezels, and grill (see Marcus Ohm's XJ HERE for what I'm talking about); Ohm's uses black ARB bumpers, but factory chrome bumpers with black end caps would look great.

Anyway, make your own cosmetic choices. Despite how you plan to use your XJ and what your needs/tastes are, most Jeepers around here will encourage you to assimilate by bed-lining your rockers black with black flares (or more likely no flares with trimmed fenders and cut-and-fold quarter panel), bumper, grill, bezels, and black steel wheels on a 3-4.5" lift with 31-33" BFG AT or GY Duratrac tires. I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

I'm glad you're giving the Jeep Lace wheels some love. Most people HATE them and can't even give them away. I'm not the biggest fan of them either, but maybe that's just because mine are all kinds of corroded and look awful on my XJ. Don't mix-match gloss and flat; it'll look stupid especially since they won't stay where you put them assuming you're responsible enough to rotate your tires regularly.

My opinion on the LED strips? Throw that rice junk in the garbage.

Super charger? Possible, but do you have a small fortune? If so, could you spare a couple thousand my way first? You need a new ignition switch/lock, and are fussing over the cost of that--forget about supercharging a 4.0; seriously, put it out of you mind completely. I saw mention of needing new brake lines in there somewhere, too. If you're being thrifty with your money, stop spending it on cosmetic stuff until after mechanical and safety issues like brake lines, ignition, and your are taken care of.

Suspension. Do you want it lifted or not? It's not cheaper to lift. Monroe Sensatrac shocks are great for stock suspension and are cheap. Your front coil springs are likely just fine, and if your rear leaf springs are flat/saggy, Crown makes good, affordable replacements. You probably need new bushings, too. Budget boosts are just spacers and shackles, so bad suspension will still be bad suspension. 2" lift kits aren't much more expensive, but they are more expensive, and you could possibly get driveline vibes even at 2" necessitating a transfer case drop or a SYE. Most good 2" lift kits seem to ride a bit higher, and as you hit and exceed 3", the can of worms only gets more likely to pop. At 4.5", you've definitely opened the worm can. Figure-out what height you want it at, then do it right the first time.

Last edited by chris87xj; 10-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: removed discussion of cat delete
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

MSCHI - Yeah I warned you it was a babble. I just typed out a rough edge to get it going and I will come back and clean it up with pictures and proper grammar. Also I appricate the "do your own thing" thought but the point of a forum and posts if for opinions. I will do what I personal like - its just fun to get opinions and ideas. Thanks dad =D

I have 3 bumpers -grey, black and a chrome- hence why my mind is a boggle. The headlight bezels are currently out of the box plastic sun faded black. The grill is white like the picture but I have a chance at a black one or I can just paint it black. Or I could paint the lights white.. BUT HERE IS MY FINAL CHOICE.. I like the black lights, black grill and chrome bumper - black caps and black everything that was grey. The grey just isn't as aggressive as I would like. I am sticking with my choice of rims/tires and the 2 inches I want for looks. ALTHOUGHT I MAY OR MAY NOT remove the flares. The grey is uhg to me but the black looks niiiice.. So I don't know its black or none.. Ill figure it out.

As for the rims I LOVE the Mesh Rims - My only issue is I have 3 and 3.. I don't have 4 matching rims. Even if I painted them to match the stock 89-92 rims are kind of rounded in the mesh while the 96 silver ones are sharper. crisp. So I am really just riding on a steel rim until I can figure this out. Of course the stock ones with no paint look like **** but when I painted these rims 5 years ago with flat black.. it looks almost the same.. minimal rot and corrosion. Of course I painted right over the peeling plastic dipped coating that was all nasty.. I hit it with some sand paper in the rough bubbled parts but besides that a can of black paint and bam.. I love these rims.

LED STRIPS - I may for fun. They are Neon strips actually I may put one blue on each side and a white one in the grill and a blue one under the bumper. JUST BECAUSE I HATE CIVICS SO MUCH I WANT TO JUST ROLL UP AND TURN UP MY 1500 watts with some rap - I HATE RAP - and make the bass drop and then turn on the lights and be like .. vroooommmm LOL.

No for real I am putting interior blue LEDS on my dash to match my already blue lights. I am also putting in either purple reverse lights or ultra bright led reverse lights. Ill figure it out. The rest will go on my friends wheel chair. We promised we would pimp it out.

Super Charger - I have no money for this. Someone is giving me one and someone else said they would do all the work for free just to see the super charger on a jeep. People tell me the M90 goeson with minimal cost. I don't need brake lines I need brakes. In the next 2 months or so.. not yet.

As for my ignition I DONT LIKE THE KEY IDEA.. I am not fixing it because I am trying to get away from it. I love the idea of push buttons and switches.

Suspension - I wanted it lifted - about 2 inches. No further. You figure new shocks, struts and springs would lift it about a half of inch more and what ever budget spacers would add the other inch. I don't want the rest of the issues which is why I am not looking to go 3 or higher. I also don't want to loose my center of gravity. I will add 1 inch spacers (on my wheels) when I do this. As for cost it seems my local jeep shops will lift a jeep cheaper than local shops do shocks and struts plus what's cheaper for me may not be cheaper for you.. I have a hand full of options which is why my head is all a mess.

Anyway thanks for the post. I look forward to revamping my own and adding the pics while I do the upgrades.

Last edited by chris87xj; 10-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: removed discussion of cat delete
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I respect that you're seeking opinions. I seek them out myself, but I wanted to stress the importance of individual autonomy as part of my opinions. I actually saw a 84-96 XJ today in white with black bezels, grill, bumper, and bumper caps. I don't really like it--too much black up front. Given that you're keeping the chrome bumper (black end caps I assume), I think your approach will look much better.

I guess I misunderstood the maintenance and key stuff. I've seen Jeepers do push-button ignitions, and if that's what you want, I can respect that. It's not my cup of tea; XJs are pretty easy to steal no matter what, but I'm not a fan of making it any easier for someone to drive off with my vehicle.

People have supercharged 4.0s. People have used the M90 to do it. It may go in physically with minimal effort, but there's way more to it than just "plug it in." The 4.0 in an XJ generates tons of heat all by its lonesome already, and boosting it with a SC or a Turbo will be really toasty. Will your friend make sure that your engine and engine bay stay cool enough? Will your friend also make sure that you're fuel delivery can keep up with all the extra air without running your engine lean? Will your friend be addressing the need for new tuning? Will your head, intake, and throttle body be ported/polished/bored? I'm far from an expert, but I know it's WAY more than just plug-and-play. The information is all out there if you want to do it, though. I personally prefer a simple stroker.

You could get a good ride and about 2" two ways. You could refresh the factory shocks, leaves, and bushings (XJs don't have struts) then do a budget boost with coil spacers and shackles. You could also get a 2" Old Man Emu lift kit and new bushings. The lift kit could have new coils or, if you want to save some money, coil spacers. Whatever lift kit you get (I think OME is the only one that makes such a small lift), don't touch add-a-leaf (AAL) kits; get one with full leaves. AAL won't ride very well, and they'll sag again quite quickly; they appeal to people because they're so cheap, but a waste of money is a waste of money no matter how cheap it is. Even at 2" lift, you may need to drop your transfer case a little; it's not unheard of.

Regarding wheels, you can have all four of mine if you can connect me with 4 or 5 of any of these. I'm still considering having my Laces blasted and powdercoated, but I do love those old Turbines and those two KJ wheels a lot.

Last edited by chris87xj; 10-22-2013 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: removed discussion of cat delete
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So I painted the bezels and grill and I removed all the rocker trims. I am not sure how I liked it consider I had rear end damage that seems to show hardcore now.

But I went black liner on it anyway just to see.. Im going to have to paint the whole truck like this. Its a pain in my *** but I think I will like the grey to black corss over.

I like the way the front looks with out a doubt!
front.jpg

frontpaint.jpg

rear.jpg

rearpainted.jpg

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
DanTreE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So today I tried to take off the bumper. it seems it had clips to hold the bolts in that snapped instead of the bolt coming out so I guess I need new clips.. Also from an accident part of it is bent holding the last bolt in place due to no room for a socket. Have to get an open end for this.

Put it back together for now.

Added new/used - Ill call them steps? lol the plastic inside the door to step on. I replaced the old broken ones with new old unbroken ones. I then upgraded the hardware to SS with SS washers. I also then began to replace all interior screws with new SS and SS washers. Ill take some pics.

Going to be hard to fix the body damage on my own. I thought it would be a lot easier but things don't ever come apart so easy at 20 years old lol.

Ohh yeah - I also replaced my starter jumper button with a higher gauge rocker..

- Turn the key and starter wont crank. Everything else turns on. So I wired a set of 22x4 in pairs so 2 of each to + and -. I ran it to the positive BEFORE the fuse box directly to the starters positive wire AT THE FUSE BOX, and the negative goes directly to the starters ground. Added a button - Press it and jeep starts. Today I reran it with 18 gauge and a nice- installed by the rear window wiper switch- rocker switch. I press the button and jeep starts =) YAY..
Thats how I knew I needed a new starter.. The button didn't work.. that's direct voltage. When that didn't work out came the hammer.. Fixed it.. 2 years later I had to hammer it again so I got a new one.

Installed 2 power blocks (One block for positive one for negative) with 4 outputs each. Ran my AMP of one, and the other 3 will be for my GPS, Radar Detector and my fancy neon lights lol. When I get my CB radio I suppose I will just use the same one as the lights since they will never be on unless its dark and im next to a civic. LOL

Changed reverse lights to ultra bright purple - than decided on a 12 LED white.. than went back lol.

Added 2x12 BLUE LED light blocks to interior lights (on roof)

Painted "New Rims" Have tires being swapped tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.