Project Purple Rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Purple Rust

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Project Purple Rust

I swear I tried really hard to come up with a better build name, but purple rain was on the radio this morning on the way into work and I couldn't get it out of my head.

Now that that's out of the way lets start with the basics.

1998 4.0 AX15 NP 231. D30 C8.25 3.07 gears.
[IMG][/IMG]

The day I bought it. I let the guy keep the rack in return for knocking $150 off the price.

Lots of rocker rust, but it ran and he had tons of basic service records. I thought it was a pretty good deal for $1500......

Until I started driving it every day. Rear brakes were down to the backing plates, both wheel cylinders were shot, and one front hub went out about 2 weeks after I got it.

But I've had jeeps before so it didn't bother me much.

My old ZJ's

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I've been slowly building it up since I got it about a year ago, and now that I'm done with grad school and back to work I thought it would be fun to start a build thread.

1998 XJ- 4.0/AX-15/231- 3.5" RE. 4.10 gears
Jeepfordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The stock suspension was completely worn out at 188K, so I decided to go the cheap route until school was over and throw in a 3" spacer and aal lift. I also scored some 31" wranglers and 16 inch black wheels from a buddy. As soon as everything went on I headed out to WBR (my local OHV park) and ripped both front brake lines out.

[/IMG]

right before the lines went out.

I got tired of the crap stock gears, aal and spacers pretty quickly so it was time to change things up a bit.

[/IMG]

Scored a D30 and C8.25 with factory 4.10's for $250 and picked up a RE super flex 3.5 lift.

[/IMG]
Cleaned up

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Best pic I have of how it sits after the lift and axle swap. Also threw in an IRO DS track bar.

I'm about halfway through swapping out the TRE's and then its ready to hit the trails.

I have a lot planned for this, everyone throw some suggestions my way, I'm open to pretty much anything. This thing is going to see mild rocks, and will probably see some camping/expedition duty as well.
Unread 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lets try these pics again
img_2191_zps18ce6618.jpg   img_2195_zps87810626.jpg   img_2226_zps646d4574.jpg   img_2276_zpsc1d639dd.jpg   img_2277_zps0ab22018.jpg  

img_2227_zps055d34b1.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.