Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Puck build

4K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Puck81 
#1 ·
Now that i have had my XJ for a few months now, it's time for my build thread.

Here it is the day i got it.

Sent from my Imagination

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The specs on it
2001 sport
AW4
LP30
2" bb puck-AAL lift.
I have used it alot on the trails the way i got it.

Sent from my Imagination

Attachments

#3 ·
Now time for some upgrades!!
First things first was to get rid of the little 30" tires and up it to 32's. So a buddy and i trimed the fenders to make room, and added some rock sliders.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

So now that the easy part is done, next is some lockers and a taller lift.

Sent from my Imagination

Attachments

#10 ·
So i got the lockers in and took my XJ for a quick test, and it performed well. The Spartans are quiet and don't load up and pop. Very smooth on the high ways and only a minor pull when reengageing when letting off the gas.

Sent from my Imagination

#11 ·
Well i got my lift, i am going to try and install it this weekend. I got the RE 4.5" super flex short arm kit with new rear springs.

For prep to make sure things go as smooth as it can, i am PB Blasting the piss outta the bolts on the suspension. My rig lived the first 5 years of its life in Ohio, so some of the nuts and bolts are rust badly. So far this week i am 2 cans into the hose down of each nut and bolt. Some of my buddies say i am wasting money on PB Blaster by using so much, but after seeing what a shop had to do to remove a hub from the front axle due to rust, eff that nonsence, i am going nuts on the prick.

#12 ·
Ok so i got the lift installed, and it sucked. It took a friend and i a week to install due to rust. I dont know how you rust belt guys do it! Any how, now that the lift is installed the t-case drop kit still needed to be installed, but i found that the bolts and studs wont move with out help. Since i now have a broken t-case cross member bolt broken i the frame with a broken ez out in that, i am going to buy a SYE and just get that installed and forget about how crappy the install went.

#17 ·
Well, the next item i wanted to install is now on my rig, a SYE, and let me say it was not fun trying to remove my transfer case. It took the better part of a day to do it, mostly due to my buddy and i dicking off. But we got it done and working, how ever since i am a cheap *** i didnt buy my DS at the same time as the SYE, so now i am running my factory front shaft untill i buy my new used DS from a buddy with a ZJ. So last things i need to get my XJ in the dirt are, my new RE shocks, new DS, SS lines installed, and a shop to look at my front suspension because it pops at the floor boards. I think i did not install it correctly(i am far from mechanicly inclined). So, that is my progress for now, i will update as soon as i install the 35's.

#20 ·
So, i have a set of 35" pro comp
M/Ts ready to go on my rig, how ever i am at a loss on what method to use for my front bump stops. I have been told to use hockey pucks JB Welded together (5 per side front coils) but they keep falling apart. Any advice and some pictures of front set ups for 35's on a 4.5" lift would help out alot.

#26 ·
I main reason i am doing to 60 swap so soon, is i bent the front axle housing. I was going to do the swap any ways, this just sped up my plans.

As of now my plans are
5:83's
E-lockers f/r
Long arm swap
Rear shackle boxes
37-40's
Steel wheels 17x8
I will be staying on my 4.5" lift because i dont want a top heavy rig on big tires.

Some guys have told me to step down to a 2.5-3" lift, however, i have found that 4.5 is perfect for the type of wheeling i do in the southwest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.