Project POS (Previous Owners Suck) => 97 Cherokee build! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project POS (Previous Owners Suck) => 97 Cherokee build!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
willman611
1997 ZJ 

Subscribed

willman611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #47
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do i spot gord1895 on the streets...?

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #48
4nic8
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your Jeep is bad ***! well worth the money and time imo... It will all pay off when you get to start wheelin it!!! very nice job so far.
4nic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #49
gord1895
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This week is non stop work on the Jeep, probably won't be able to update till the weekend but I am hoping to take it out for its first run. Which if you are following this build you know that there is tons to get to that point.
gord1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #50
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

^true story.
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #51
gord1895
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well found some down time to update a bit. I was able to weld everything up on the new exhaust and get it painted and hung. Turned out really good, really tight to the body and no interference with rear shackle or gas tank heat shield.

Really pleased with the setup and sound. Thanks to Performance-Curve.

Bought a few other goodies, headlight harness and cb antenna kit. My cb wont be here until the weekend so I will have to mount that later. I couldnt make the mount work how I wanted so I made one real quick.

I cannot fit the antenna on inside of my garage which is a bummer so I will have to remove it to pull in haha.

I have still been massaging my frame and to be honest I am completely fed up with it but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Here is what I had after hours of filling the cuts and holes burned through the frame plus LOTS of grinding.

I decided to repair the torn out holes in the front since I will need these for my front bumper. This is what I came up with.

Just waiting to do the final welding until I get my mounts on to drive the location.

Only one hole left that was an issue for the mounts. So I used a filler plate with a bunch of plug welds and redrilled.

I will be finishing all the front end work up tonight, throw some paint on it and get the mounts fixed...for this!

JCR DIY Winch Bumper. Not sure if others want to see the detailed process but hell it's my build thread so I figured I would throw it in here.

Hopefully welding it up Wednesday when I can get a helping hand. Also finished the headlight harness install, replaced my front pinion seal that was pouring fluid everywhere, got the front drive shaft dropped off to be shortened 3 INCHES!!! Not surprised the previous owner had to shove the axle so far forward now just to clear this thing.
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #52
gord1895
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alright well I feel a bit recovered after last week's push to finish for a test run Sunday. Got tons done and with two 4 AM nights in a row Saturday and Sunday I had the Jeep wheel-able. So I got my drive shaft back, shortened and balanced and got it installed with all new hardware. It fit perfect. I got my CB and antenna all mounted up and wired in real clean then tuned on the way out of town Sunday with the SWR meter. I found a guy parting out a Cherokee on Craigslist and decided to get a bunch of the small pieces my Jeep is missing like interior panels and such. Going back to look at the seats and carpet this week.

I finished cleaning up the frame and threw some paint on it. What a process that was but I am really happy with how it all came out.

Here it is with all the new JCR bracketry. This was all pretty straight forward, unlike the rest of my bumper experience, more on that in a second.

I installed my Kenwood deck and sorted out all the wiring for the sub and amp and while I was dealing with interior panels, I ran into this:

The quarters are just nasty and filled with mud. You can see daylight right through them so the chop is worse off than i thought. Looks like that is moving up my priority list.

CB

I also could not find a dana 30 vent fitting anywhere locally in time for the wheeling trip so I decided to tap the diff and thread in a barbed fitting. (Excuse the mess, I didn't get pics till after our wheeling trip)

Now onto my big frustration...the JCR DIY Winch Bumper.
I have always heard great things about JCR and their quality and when I initially got my kit I could see why. Everything was very easy to bend and fit together. Pretty hard to mess up. Well I assumed my winch (Warn XD9000i) would fit no problem since this is the same model they have mounted up on all of their display photos. Since we were on a time crunch I got the bumper all welded and ground down and was very pleased with how it turned out. Coated it with Al's Liner (which was another product I am very displeased with at the moment) and mounted it up. As I go to put in the winch, I quickly realize there is no chance it is fitting. It will fit in the cradle but the bolt slots are at least 3/4" off from where they need to be. The winch housing collides with the front of the bumper way before the holes even come close to lining up. Apparently JCR doesn't understand what could be wrong, there is really only one way to put this bumper together...Also I had a TON of extra work and grinding I had to do to get the shackle tabs to fit correctly. There was no mention of this at all in the instructions. I had to abandon my hopes of getting my winch on since it was 4 AM again and we would be leaving for Elbe Hills in a few hours. I am frustrated mostly because with the liner on there now I am going to have a hard time modifying it too much.

Here you can see the bolt pattern and how it is offset forward...this leaves almost an inch clearance behind the winch. I feel like the offset should be biased towards the rear and then my winch would fit?

Interference:

Sunday we woke up a bit late and loaded up, tuned the CBs and headed to Elbe Hills, WA.

There was a lot of very wet slick snow and I almost got bit by it coming down a fairly steep hill. I was spinning 180's all down the road completely blocking both lanes. I still have no idea how I saved it but that was the slickest surface I have ever been on.We aired down immediately following this fiasco.

We ran into a guy in a Cherokee on 31's and open diffs and he rolled with us for a bit. He really had trouble keeping up. I got to test out my bumper and get him tugged over a few big stumps.

Big puddle

Had a great time wheeling and it felt great to finally get it dirty after this battle. I really needed this trip for inspiration to continue but also to give me an idea of what is the most important things for me to work on next. Now the Jeep sits in the garage all dirty and the front bumper just keeps mocking me. Hopefully I can figure out a solution this week.

Next to come should be:
Change oil and trans fluid
THOR Intake
On Board Air
Seal Rear Quarters and make it look better
Rear Bumper
Rockers
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #53
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looking nice. The sucks about the bumper.
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #54
kyjeeper4life
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do you happen to know what steering set up that is? I like it! Looking to up grade mine n a few weeks
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #55
gord1895
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I believe it is the Rusty's kit. It is extremely beefy, so much that I couldn't fit an aftermarket diff cover very easily without interference.
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #56
kyjeeper4life
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, looks like I know what this pay check is going to! Lol
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #57
kyjeeper4life
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Looks like I know what I'm buying Friday! Haha
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #58
gord1895
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I tried to get some sort of understanding or explanation from JCR on my bumper, but they didn't seem to have much interest in helping me out. I have only heard good things about them and really wanted to like the product but I have to say I am disappointed. I double checked all my angles, all the welds and construction from my end and it is all right. I had to slot the holes even more so now they are about 1.5", almost 2" slots. I feel this is a piss poor way of having to deal with the issue because any serious load I put on the winch can easily cause it to "slide" forward in the slots and collide with the front of the bumper. even now with the holes slotted the winch just barely fits between the grill and the front of the bumper. Not sure what they expect but being a common winch for this rig I am baffled. The Al's Liner took a little damage during my modifications, but that isn't surprising since that stuff seems to suck as well. For how much money I have into this now you would think I would be a bit more pleased. O well, here is how it sits now.

I really need to get on my rear bumper design but there are so many other things I would rather do first haha.
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #59
Dirtyjeep92
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed! loving the build! keep up the good work
Dirtyjeep92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #60
gord1895
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not much new today, didn't get home until late. I was out picking this up:

Install wasn't too bad, although it looks like I am going to need to remove my throttle body spacer which is fine by me. So this weekend I will have to get some shorter bolts and fix that. Guess tomorrow I will start the rear bumper, just need a few more steel pieces.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.