Project Overland DD - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Overland DD

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #106
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #107
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I love the pic in post #95 with your dog driving :-) .... And you have been driving your xj, looks super fun !
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #108
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Holy NO UPDATES..

So few months ago I made a trip down to Lorton, VA area to try out Red Cloud Offroad. Basically a local business (10-8 Duty Gear) leases the property from the landowner to provide local offroader's with a safe and legal place to do some trail riding.

http://www.redcloudoffroad.com/

The property is fairly large right off of 95 and the entrance funny enough is at the back of the commuter lot off 95 by Lorton.

Overall, the place is pretty new having only been open since September. It's mostly a lot of mud but has some fun tight and technical aspects and a 75 yard creek which you can drive up and maneuver through!

I went by myself but met some other jeepers and just sorta lined up and ran the trails. I had pretty good time considering it only cost me $40 for the whole day and it was 25 minutes from the house! They are working on bringing in debris and other items to create obstacles and other fun things to plan on the property.

Jeep did really well for what it is. I got stuck once in some pretty nasty slop but for the most part the XJ was outperforming guys on 2/3 more inches of lift and larger "mud" tires. I got a lot of questions throughout the day "How did you get through that part or up that trail?" :thumbup:

Unread 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #109
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

MORE!!

. Made the 3 hour drive to Shoe Creek, VA this past Saturday. Overall, a really fun trail with good obstacles, water crossings, and views. I'd say I enjoy it more than Flag Pole in Harrisonburg, VA as there are a few good places to flex and be technical.

Tried my hands a big rock incline and just couldn't hook up. I think if I had let a few more psi out of the tires and approached the rock farther to the right I would have climbed right up. The tricky part was getting the driver rear tire up a foot gap between the ground and the next part up the rock. Put myself in a tight spot and ended up with a cracked driver tail light and a banged up rocker. Time to buy those rock sliders.

The incline..

That big rock on the right is the culprit for all the damage

Unread 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #110
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What say you JF? I need some advice on spending my $$$

I've got a AR pistol I'm selling here tomorrow which should give me ~$700 to throw towards the XJ.

I'm already set on purchasing AJ Offroads Super rock rails. Gonna run me about $360 with shipping. Likely pick up Solid front and rear diff covers with LL's. ($120)

Leaves me about $200 left to play with. I've got a few suspension items I really want to address but wonder where I should be putting my dollars.

Single options I've considered:

$130 - HD-Offroad shackle re-locators should smooth out my rear suspension and gimme DAT FLEX.

$180 - IRO Double Sheer track bar. Self explanatory

$100-$180 - Some sort of proper length LCAs. Maybe go cheaper with Fat Bobs fixed length or splurge for the IRO adjustable.

I'm not intending on putting the heep higher than 3.5". I like the 3" for DD and keeps wear and tear down. I'm building for 33" tall and skinny tires.
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #111
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Love the pics :-). I say .. If your going to keep those axles... Save up and get some steering. :-)
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #112
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good man!

I say shackle relocators, very happy with my HD offroad brackets.

July 2013 COTM
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #113
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Looking good man!

I say shackle relocators, very happy with my HD offroad brackets.
Yea that's so good call ... Or the lii slider boxes ... Throes are bad
Unread 03-21-2014, 01:03 AM   #114
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The IRO adjustables are great if you go with them, super beefy.

College Student in Genetics, misanthrope, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #115
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome little XJ you got yourself there. Keep it up

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #116
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Love the pics :-). I say .. If your going to keep those axles... Save up and get some steering. :-)

I do need to pick up a taillight for the one I busted. I plan on trying to grab a v8 ZJ tie rod to beef it up a little bit. A 1-ton OTK steering will come in handy for the bigger tires for sure. I'd like to upgrade to the durango box and thorw in a spacer and brace too.

I'm going to leave the D30 in there but there rear is a Trak-lock D35.

I plan on grabbing a 29 spline 8.25 so that I can handle the 33x10.5s
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #117
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Yea that's so good call ... Or the lii slider boxes ... Throes are bad

Vegas/Project1..

Am I going to significantly benefit in ride quality and flex by choosing those relocators over the LCAs? I'm running the OME HD leaf packs which when weighted down ( and I'm thus assuming improve the shackle angle) make for a Cadillac ride.

Vegas, what was the install difficulty? I have a factory hitch and all..
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #118
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea .. I should go for the shackles
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #119
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1GiLaNtE View Post
Vegas/Project1..

Am I going to significantly benefit in ride quality and flex by choosing those relocators over the LCAs? I'm running the OME HD leaf packs which when weighted down ( and I'm thus assuming improve the shackle angle) make for a Cadillac ride.

Vegas, what was the install difficulty? I have a factory hitch and all..
I thought my ride improved greatly, and its not just on road I notice it. I get kicked around a lot less offroad while trying to navigate rocky sections. My rear suspension is now plush even with crappy shocks.

As for flex, it'll let the rear end droop as far as your brakes and shocks will allow. As it stands now, Im running 5.5" longer shocks than factory out back, and while flexing it maxes them out (fully extended) and still has loads more to go down if shocks would allow. Matter of fact, with the shock fully extended on the droop side the shackle angle is still better than it was without the brackets at RIDE HEIGHT lol. Big improvement.

As far as installation, difficulty depends on whether you want the lift version or the no lift version. The standard (lift) version is a bolt-on ordeal I believe. I have the no lift versions, and had to cut the factory shackle box out, and drill 4 holes in the floor to install the top plates. Benefit is I didnt gain any height and nothing hangs down. The shackle is still in the same spot as before, only with options to adjust the angle.

July 2013 COTM
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #120
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Joo SON OF A *****! lol

Glad I nosed around here some today. Your updates are great!

Pics never do the trails justice. I've not tried that rock at Shoe Creek. Maybe next time. I've seen a built TJ really struggle with it and a near-stock JK walk right up it. Never know where a little XJ will fall. Did a little spring shakedown myself over the weekend and am pretty happy with everything. I need to replace the positive terminal and figure out why my blend doors aren't working but other than that, I'm in pretty good shape. We've got what should be our last round of winter weather coming later this week but as soon as the cold, white stuff stays gone, I'll feel like getting something done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.