Project Overland DD - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Overland DD

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #91
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblaza View Post
You must not be that tall of a guy... LOL I have to lay in there on an angle, and even them my feet hang out the gate
5'10" so I'm no midget. But I have a trick that extends the back area by 14" behind the seats and ~9" behind the center console. Slide the seats forward and drop in a custom filler. The seat back lays level with the least bit of weight applied.

Unread 04-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #92
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
5'10" so I'm no midget. But I have a trick that extends the back area by 14" behind the seats and ~9" behind the center console. Slide the seats forward and drop in a custom filler. The seat back lays level with the least bit of weight applied.

Good thinking with that! Im 6'2" and have to lay in there crooked, luckily my wife is a foot shorter than me and doesnt need as much room. I may have to make one of those. Seat bottom is removed I see, do you carry that with you on trips or just leave it at home?
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #93
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I take it on trips. I disassemble it though and stack the legs under my cooler and the longer pieces rest diagonally along the top of the spare. I have pics somewhere of it loaded as I use it. I also carry my 18v impact along for field repairs but it makes quick work of reassembling this piece.
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #94
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I take it on trips. I disassemble it though and stack the legs under my cooler and the longer pieces rest diagonally along the top of the spare. I have pics somewhere of it loaded as I use it. I also carry my 18v impact along for field repairs but it makes quick work of reassembling this piece.
I see, Im going to have to pick a direction to go soon. Planning a expo oriented trip this summer and I need to get my crap together. Still thinking hard about just purchasing a tent cot.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #95
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I love my roof rack too much. I'll probably rig up an inside cot thing..

Went out exploring and wheelin this weekend.. I love the outdoors.

and my personal favorite..
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #96
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I see, Im going to have to pick a direction to go soon. Planning a expo oriented trip this summer and I need to get my crap together. Still thinking hard about just purchasing a tent cot.
For summer, I'm thinking a hammock is the way to go. Off the ground and in the air you ought to sleep cooler than anywhere else.
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #97
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Little update:

Friday was sort of a "test and tune" with the XJ. I had JKS swaybar discos and threw them on.

Great! Now we can have some flex... Which in turn will allow me to "tune" the suspension to gain the maximum flex without destroying tires, flares, leaf springs..

I need about 2" bumpstopping front and rear. The extended bump-stops are not even hitting the axle tube in the rear. This is BAD. Very BAD.

The front will definitely need 2 hockey pucks thrown onto the spring plates.

I'm really impressed with the OME leaf packs and Rough Country springs. The Rubicon shocks are pretty much perfect for this setup. SO, with the 2" all around I'll keep these 31's out of the fenders but still have the ability to turn back and forth full lock. At least until my "it's only going 3" 31's" statement goes out the window.. which is already true.. Stay tuned.

Pics or it didn't happen..

Unread 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #98
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good! More details on the 3" and 31's not holding true...

... hard to stay there isnt it?
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #99
Mike934

I also tried to stay at 3" and 31s. I then wanted 33x10.5s, idk why but the look kill sme everytime i see it. Not too sure my final ride height, but its a re 3.5" coil up front, rear is custom 3.5" deavers, HD offroad no lift relocators and a custom shackle. Revamped it all from a ome coil and spacer and ome leafs. Not even closed to finished, but ill start a thread soon.
It's getting plated front to rear is 11 gauge, which is 1/8". 2x6 rocker replacement, its already trimmed up a bit. Possibly even more in the front now lol.

I think 3" & 33x10.5/ is perfect with trimmed fenders. Locked up front and rear, perfect little jeep that can get it, yet still small and comfortable enough to love driving everyday. I went far on mine, 9", wj swap, locked front & rear, geared, custom flat belly ect ect. But keeping it low and using off the shelf parts such as tres or bushings or alike was also key. Nothing sucks more than waiting a week for a custom part, especially on a expo rig when out exploring.
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #100
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looking good brother
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #101
MuddyBottoms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I am getting ready to install a RC 3" series II with full leafs and 31's. The goal is to go up to 33's with Bushwackers. Keep us posted on the build progress, really like the direction it is headed.
MuddyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #102
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm so bad at this..

Pics/Updates/Future mod list head your way tonight
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #103
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got all the pictures together from NOVA Jeepers Camp Heep 9. Annual wheeling trip to Rausch Creek, PA and my first time. Wheeled the snot of the XJ and blown away by the performance of this lift setup. Great time was had by all. We had about 47 jeeps show up? We ran low blues as the rain made the trails extremely challenging. Cannot wait to go back and for another Camp Heep in 2014!

Actually pushing myself to the limit I figured out what I really NEED vs. WANT for the jeep. Lift will come but really a little more armor and I was rock solid on 3" and 31's.

Build plans
F/R Solid Diff Covers
ZJ Tie Rod upgrade
Fender Trim all 4 corners
Some sort of rear bumpstop plates (either extended mounting point or something like DPG's bumpstop plates)
IRO Adj. Track Bar
YJ extended rear brake line

This is still an "expo" rig/DD and I want to keep it low. Long term we're looking at no bigger than 3.5/4" (to accommodate the anticipated armor weight) and 33x10.5 tires.

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #104
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #105
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.