Project Overland DD - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Overland DD

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #61
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1GiLaNtE View Post
Hookay,

Time for the XJ's first shake down. And this was quite an adventure. Harrisonburg for the weekend and a few buddies and I piled into the XJ to go beat it up on the usual local trail. Flagpole/Reddish knob run. Called for some flurries for the day but otherwise we saw nothing the whole way up to trail head.

Until some magic switch was flipped...

Most of the way up we were riding in others tracks. However right before the first big meadow and the entire ride to the second meadow we were treading in virgin snow. This trail is the not the most difficult or challenging trail but when you add ankle deep snow to the mix..Makes for an interesting ride. Lots of sliding and with some of the more rocky sections some-what ice covered the XJ performed admirably! 4high most of the time to keep from sliding and 4low only a few times with the appropriate skinny pedal on really steep rock sections and the jeep pulled herself all the way up. We ran about 15psi on the tires.

Buddy Samer checking out the view from the first meadow

Virgin snow the rest of the way

Little flex test. Rear packs had A LOT more way to go, but mind you the front was still connected. Those discos are going to really set this thing up properly.

We ended up finishing the day with a stunning view of the valley from Reddish knob. All untouched snow all the way to top..Except for what appeared to be the tracks from somebody taking their pedal bike up there..

Overall I'm pleased with the XJ's first shakedown.

Some thoughts and impressions to take away.

- Damn, even with +-1/4 tread at 15 psi those BFG's could hook up on anything. Even packed full with snow
- Armor, she's going to need more of it. Gas tank and diff covers are next
- Discos, Still need to order those up
- Suspension performed wonderfully. No rubbing on all four corners. Even with 3 guys, all my usual gear, and the full size tire in the cargo area.

I grabbed a buddies old roof rack and threw that on this weekend. Pic later today. Jeep is pretty much set up to how I want it for DD. Looking forward to my next trip/adventure.
DUDE! You shoulda hit me up! You know that's my backyard basically!

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #62
rallybro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great looking jeep! Glad to see you're doing it right too. Looking forward to see this thing down the road!
rallybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #63
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ib, some of my favorite wheeling spots are up your way. We'll have to do a JF meetup sometime!
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #64
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
ib, some of my favorite wheeling spots are up your way. We'll have to do a JF meetup sometime!

THIS. We should plan a weekend wheelin trip. Granted Peters Mill isn't overly crazy but I know IB knows of some more money spots which could be mixed in with Flagpole.
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #65
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We usually do Shoe Creek. It's stocker safe and has some great campsites. We did Big Levels last time up too. I've visited a number of the spots off 33 as well. As soon as it warms up a little, I'm pretty much ready.
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #66
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh I guess for updates..

So this thing leaks.. Like any amount of rain,snow, moisture in the air and my carpets get wet. It's a couple of things I need to decipher. Could be a windshield leak, cowl drain leak, firewall leak, or the blower/heater box leak. I need to take advantage of this potential warm weather Sunday and pull the carpet and check these areas.. Otherwise this thing is going to rust from the inside out.

Roof rack is on.. Pics to hold you guys over.

High pressure power steering line was leaking. $20 for a brand new one? Yes please.

Replaced the line on Saturday, went to remove the return line from the power steering reservoir to flush the system and cracked the power steering reservoir nipple. FML. Jeep is currently undriveable until new reservoir and return line get here. Hoping to get her back up and running before the weekend as I may be doing some wheelin.

More Updates:

So I know I said I'm REALLY partial to the Ecco's BUT:

These were too stupid of a deal to pass up on. I got 4 75% tread 31x10.5 BFG's mounted on steel wheels and a 5 steel spare for a great price. I did not realize just how worn down my old 31's were. Jeep looks TOUGH now and with the 4.5" backspacing on the wheel should help with rubbing at full lock and flex. Best part is I already have a 5th BFG sitting in the garage with ~80% tread that I will get mounted and balanced to the 5th spare. Should be able to sell my old 31s and 5 Eccos and almost break even on this purchase.

Powersteering pump reservoir came in yesterday and I splurged on the steering and got a brand new return line as well. That should be here today. I'll install this evening.
Need to get over to the tire shop and have these balanced and the thing aligned. Also get the 5th spare mounted up. Looks like the woman and I will be road trippn' it over to Maryland this weekend to look at some German Shepherds. I've been in the market forever but I'm very particular and patient. I've spent time as a decoy/helper working personal protection dogs and Schutzhund dogs so I am very picky..

GF picked up a sexay new Trek 29'er over the weekend so hopefully we'll make a day trip out of it and hit the bike trails after dog shopping.

That is all.
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #67
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rack is sweet man .. I really use my rack ALL the time .. I need a bigger one, I'm going to extended mine to the length of the entire roof soon, I have everything I need, just got to do the work. but nice man
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #68
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So currently this thing is the bain of my existence. The Reservoir came in. Couldn't easily get the old one off and ended up destroying it. Tried to put the new one on and it broke.. Sunovabeotch. Broke down and ended up just buying a whole new PS pump w/ reservoir. Rented the pulley puller and proceeded to spend an hour in the parts store trying to get it off the old pump. Destroyed the pulley. Placed an order last night and the new pulley will be here today. The installer/puller at advance BLOWS. Just like any Jeep when it rains it pours. What was supposed to be a $20 job to replace a hose I've now spent ~$150 and pretty much replaced the entire steering assembly sans the gearbox.. *Le sigh*

Poor girl looks like a weekend project jeep now.. Carpet is pulled up and interior pieces spread everywhere to dry up and fix the water leak. Electric fan, airbox, and new PS pump sitting in the cargo area.. and various tools, nuts, and bolts sitting in the engine bay with the hood popped.. Praying to the Jeep gods I fix her this evening and get to go for a drive.

Where we were last night..
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #69
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Rack is sweet man .. I really use my rack ALL the time .. I need a bigger one, I'm going to extended mine to the length of the entire roof soon, I have everything I need, just got to do the work. but nice man
Thanks man! It will definitely come in handy on adventures and camping trips!
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #70
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For sure man .. training dogs looks awesome .. that's a killer pic you posted. I have a Shepard husky mix .. there are some pics of her in my build thread. I had gotten her as a work dog for water rescue, but she hated the water .. lol so I just kept her. Shes a big wimp but shes great, love her to death.. and she loves the jeep!
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #71
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
For sure man .. training dogs looks awesome .. that's a killer pic you posted. I have a Shepard husky mix .. there are some pics of her in my build thread. I had gotten her as a work dog for water rescue, but she hated the water .. lol so I just kept her. Shes a big wimp but shes great, love her to death.. and she loves the jeep!
Good mix right there! The girl wants a shepherd husky mix as well. She's hoping to find one with one blue eye.

Water rescue? As in like Coast Guard rescue or more for SAR? A dog isn't a dog in my book unless it's a Jeep dog! My parents dog is a jeep freak. He rides shotgun with me all the time. If I rest my right hand on the gear selector while we're riding hell put his paw on top of my hand. He also leans with the curves like he's riding a motorcycle.
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #72
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok. So we got the jeep back up and running and what a fustercluck.

New pump I got the pulley installed. Installed it in the Jeep. Start her up and god is it making an awful sound. Cycle the steering left, right, repeat to get the fluid flushed through. That's when I noticed fluid dumping onto the ground.. Shut it down. Check lines, check pump, and I can feel fluid dripping off of it. Proceed through whole tear-down process and wouldn't you know the knew pump has a crack in the housing!! : What are the chances?

Order new pump. Return this one on defective and bought the OEM tool from Autozone( Whom I love 1000000000x more than Advance).

Pulley removal and install is a breeze. Pump in, lines connected, e-fan back in, airbox back in. Shakedown run. We're back in bizness baby!!

Oh course with the new meats this thing is rubbing the front bumper like crazy! Guess it's time to trim the front bumper dam to clear these tires.
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #73
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing new to report...

Pending storm shot.

Unread 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #74
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thats a sick pick with the storm .. love storms
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #75
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so ADD updates:

So far I'm pleased with Jeep. My only caveat now is with the new tires. I'm probably a few more tire turns from ripping off my fender flares..and I HATE that.
I'm not eager to hack up the front air dam because I like my fog lights and I'm not interested in trimming fenders YET. So what does that leave me with? MOAR LIFT

Here's the break down:
IRO Adjustable Boomerang Shackle (1-1.5" lift)
Some sort of coil spacer(I'm thinking terraflex for about 1")
Upgrade the steering stabilizer
IRO Adj. Double sheer. (Had it on the last XJ and it was beef)
Alignment

This should push me up into the 3.5/4 range given I have a lot of crap in the jeep (for sag factor) and give me the necessary flare clearance in both DD duties as well flexxxxs.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.