Project Overland DD - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Overland DD

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #31
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1GiLaNtE View Post
Just for you Kevin since I'm working remotely today.. As you can see not much room to slide that 31" spare into the old space. That's why I want to build this rack system. Want to utilize all that free space to its potential. So maybe the spare on top of the rack with a hilift mounted to the edge..?
It's nice to see someone else riding around with as much crap as I do! What if you put the spare in the stock location then built your rack? It would be harder to get the tire out but taking up rack space for something you may never even use seems like a waste.

This has been my setup for a while now. I may have to modify it some to fit a 31" spare though.

forumrunner_20130125_121719.jpg

Unread 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #32
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You know,

I'll see if I can squeeze the 31 in there. Then that would require me to rearrange everything.. and then my OCD won't be happy!
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Seems like many of my jeep parts, fixes, updates are kinda of like all the books sitting next to the bed... I have about 5 of them and I end up starting one and then get side tracked by another, time constraints, waiting to get a book back.. etc.. There's my half-a$$ analogy for the day.

Filling up this big ol' "checklist-to-do" thingy:

- Get these 3" Rough Country Coils on (Darn weather has not been cooperative)
- MAAAYBBBEE grab my roof rack from my buddy this weekend if he can fit it in his Scoobi
- I actually built a CB antenna mount.. More preliminary so now I need to make another one because I..
- Ordered CB Antenna Stud
- Ordered CB COAX cable
- Which means now I just need to go out to the garage and build the same mount with a 1/2" hole to accommodate the stud mount.
- Build mount for CB to go inbetween sun visors
- Stop spending money so I can order these JKS Discos
- Find enough time to get out to the trails on the weekend and play!
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

image-1935593888.jpg

image-796706626.jpg

image-2610849209.jpg

image-3878333424.jpg

And because everyone likes MOAR pictures. Little extra snowday we had at the end of last week. I drove the neighborhoods searching for people in ditches. Any precipitation here and people just drive off the road and crash..

image-65618587.jpg
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and thoughts/opinions..

I'm thinking of removing the lower trim to clean it up some. Probably repaint the fender flares as well.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #36
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

jeeps lookin good man ... the white just looks soooo clean. ... The bedlined rockers are a good way to go for sure, but be careful painting your fender flairs, if you do them with spray paint, a lot of times they look like crap and they don't hold up long.

honestly i wouldn't even worry about painting little crap like that, keep your eye on the prize, get your lift together and get a roof rack if you want. To be honest I LOOOOVE my roof rack and I'm about to extend it to the full roof, I use it all the time, I don't know what I would do with out it. Some people don't like the look, or they don't like it because it can get snagged on stuff, but I never have a problem. It's a must for me. especially if your going expo/overland ... got to have a sick roof rack , mine is close to getting some serious love cant waitl!!
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #37
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I made my first antenna mount the same way. It didn't survive the first trail ride.
The stainless Firestik mounts are badass and less than $20. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380555023089

The first mount I bought was the SS-174. It mounts in the hood channel but I didn't like that at all and never used it. After I broke my first mount, I milled a piece of " aluminum angle into a conversion piece for the SS-174.

Unread 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #38
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
jeeps lookin good man ... the white just looks soooo clean. ... The bedlined rockers are a good way to go for sure, but be careful painting your fender flairs, if you do them with spray paint, a lot of times they look like crap and they don't hold up long.

honestly i wouldn't even worry about painting little crap like that, keep your eye on the prize, get your lift together and get a roof rack if you want. To be honest I LOOOOVE my roof rack and I'm about to extend it to the full roof, I use it all the time, I don't know what I would do with out it. Some people don't like the look, or they don't like it because it can get snagged on stuff, but I never have a problem. It's a must for me. especially if your going expo/overland ... got to have a sick roof rack , mine is close to getting some serious love cant waitl!!
Thanks man! I personally believe it serves a lot of purpose. I've considered bedlining the rockers and rear quarter panels. I loved the panda color contrast. Plus looking back a lot of the guys who yank the door moldings it really cleans up the rig.

Yes.. Some may not like it for whatever reason but expo/overland to me.. that's just hawt..

Bedlined quarter panels..

And then there's HeavyMetal's XJ which I have always lusted over.

Kevin. How did the orginal mount break? How is the newer Firestik one holding up?
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #39
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A branch reached out and grabbed it. lol I bent it back and tied it to the roof rack with some 550 cord for the rest of the weekend.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #40
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea ... I did my rockers and I liked it. I really wish someone like jcr just made some good rocker panel armor.... Their rear quarter guards are really nice. Can't wait to see how you jeep come along ... It's going to be sweet .... Love the expo jeep ... And yea .. Love heavy metals jeep, he has a lot of awesome work in that thing.
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #41
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hands down pull the side molding, it looks cleaner and more XJ with less "cute Jeep" at a quick glance. Id almost say stay away from the quarters for now just due to the natural stacking nature of the Cherokee's lines, but either way just keep us up updated.

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #42
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pulling the side molding can reveal rust. If you're ready to ditch the plastic, be ready to add some POR or bed liner.
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #43
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Pulling the side molding can reveal rust. If you're ready to ditch the plastic, be ready to add some POR or bed liner.

Kevin at this point I'll open my mouth and say that this thing is by far the cleanest rust free XJ I've ever seen. It would appear that the underbody was sprayed from the factory before assembly with some sort of protective coating.

And a rarity in the XJ world, I managed to remove and REUSE all four rear shock mount bolts when doing the lift...

Rust.. I'm gonna say I don't need to worry about rust.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #44
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Damn, that's awesome! Mine was free of rust when I bought it 4 years ago but it signing my name on the title initiated the self-destruct sequence on almost everything.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #45
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Some times the molding looks good, look up dr.moab jeep xj ... Looks nice

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.