Project Overland DD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Overland DD

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Derivery...

V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Firefighter dalmation approves your derivery.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Firefighter dalmation approves your derivery.
Haha.. His name is Chip.. and he's actually a cheetah...
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A buddy of mine mounted his CB between the visors. He slid a thin wood board up between the headliner to mount it to.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting. I've read some people make a bracket then use the screws for the visor clips to hold it up..

I'm planning on throwing these coils in tomorrow. Planning another hike this weekend and the rig needs to be ready for some esplorin!!
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1GiLaNtE View Post
Haha.. His name is Chip.. and he's actually a cheetah...
Tell him I send my deepest apologies for the mistake haha.

I knew you would give in to the extra height eventually. That extra inch really helps, and its aesthetically pleasing as well. Keep up the good work, loving the build so far. Ill probably take some inspiration. My current XJ's build path has taken a cue from lessons learned on previous (bigger) XJ's. I just had way more fun on 3" and 31s than I did at taller heights.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Interesting. I've read some people make a bracket then use the screws for the visor clips to hold it up.
That's how I did mine. Used a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum. Because I had the time, I even traced the visor clip onto the metal and trimmed it out to match the profile like a dork. Pics and info at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post10765139

Quote:
Thanks man! Like I said before, the woman and I crave being out and away from the hustle and bustle of Northern Virginia. So this rig functions as my DD and our expedition steed to the great outdoors.
You've seen this before, right?

Unread 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not that XJ specifically but oh man... That would be the ideal build for this rig right there.. That just screams "I can go anywhere, with anyone, at any time"..
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Tell him I send my deepest apologies for the mistake haha.

I knew you would give in to the extra height eventually. That extra inch really helps, and its aesthetically pleasing as well. Keep up the good work, loving the build so far. Ill probably take some inspiration. My current XJ's build path has taken a cue from lessons learned on previous (bigger) XJ's. I just had way more fun on 3" and 31s than I did at taller heights.
He'll accept... Thanks man! Appreciate it!!

I know the rake was bothering me.. and I knew without the extra height I'd be robbing myself of the full potential of these shocks. My last XJ I loved to death but this go around I'm trying to make better sense of all the parts and pieces to really understand how everything works together. Instead of just throwing parts at it and wahla I'm sitting on 8" of lift and 35's.. The local jeep club here has a guy who ran RC on a super BB XJ.. Like 3 zj coil spacers stacked up front and a bastard AAL out back.. Some worn down 31 MTR's and he was crawling all over the same stuff as the JK guys on 35's.. They were a little butt hurt to say the least..

And I take pride in that.. The mild build that I'm working on here is extremely capable with the right line and choice parts.

So the suspension is somewhat setup here. I need to add discos obviously but my next serious direction is getting that TC backup and away from the ground.

I ran a IRO HnT but skill wise anyone have experience with installing a Full blown SYE?

P.S. Snowed a little here this morning.. But that won't stop me from putting these coils on in the driveway..

Unread 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #25
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I found the inspiration for my cargo shelf..
Looks like dirtbound off road makes exactly what I'm looking for.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/camp...r-cargo-shelf/

I imagine I can pick up some square tubing and weld this thing up myself for at least half the price.
The idea would be to keep the 31" spare inside the jeep to keep mpgs up , spare out of the weather and secure.
But still keep the space below usable.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm lovvin the overland.... expo rigs are sweet, that't the build im going for with mine.
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #27
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The idea would be to keep the 31" spare inside the jeep to keep mpgs up , spare out of the weather and secure.
But still keep the space below usable.
Most people have been able to fit a 31 in the stock location. I haven't tried yet. Still gotta get the best of my old baldies mounted.
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just for you Kevin since I'm working remotely today.. As you can see not much room to slide that 31" spare into the old space. That's why I want to build this rack system. Want to utilize all that free space to its potential. So maybe the spare on top of the rack with a hilift mounted to the edge..?

image-2013379678.jpg
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #29
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I'm lovvin the overland.... expo rigs are sweet, that't the build im going for with mine.
Thanks man! Yours is coming along nicely! I wish I had the balls to go doorless and still keep it my DD..
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
V1GiLaNtE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Picked up a buddies roofrack. He's on the other side of the mountains so I'll have to wait till after the superbowl to get that from him. That should help with the EXPO theme.

I wasn't able to get the coils on last night as the spring compressor I rented from advance one of the rods was stripped and you could only use one of them to compress the coil.. It was getting dark and progressively reaching the single digits.. FFFUUUUUU Advance. I need to swap it for another one and try again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.