Project Motorcharge - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Motorcharge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Priced out material for bumpers, front and rear, and rocker guards. Rear bump I already have but the mounts need to be redone, it's only temporary and less than $200 total for a 3" tube bumper.

front bumper:
tubing: $65
brackets: $78
d-ring shackle mounts: $40
winch plate: $25
total: $208

rear bumper/tire carrier:
rectangle tube: $61
square tube: $71
d-ring tabs: $40
brackets: $20
hitch receiver: free
A to Z Fab tire carrier kit: $93
total: $285

rocker guards:
AJ's Offroad tube kit: $65
mounts: scrap
total: $65

The front bumper is more or less going to be the same one as here: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/d-i-y-easy-cheap-bumper-21043/

Only I'll be doing a light bar and winch plate as well as D ring shackle mounts and beefier mounts that tie into the frame in more than just the stock locations. I'd been debating between building and buying the front bumper, but for the looks and price of this one I can't justify buying something pre-built.

Under $500 for everything is kinda hard to beat. Might go a bit over $100 by the time I prime and paint everything, but still worth it.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Get that monstaliner predator on before I do mine! Cant wait to see it on a xj. Figured around 600, and thats including a gallon of the chassis saver. Im in the same boat, but already ordered my lift, tires, wheels, and bumper... Almost wished I waited to do the bumper so I had enough for the monstaliner Owell looks like another week or 2 before I will be able to order it... Got a ton of stuff to do but this weather is not helping with motivation!!!
jmccallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #33
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I probably won't do the liner until the fall. I'm doing the bumpers and such in black and I don't want to have to paint twice.

Unread 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't put welds that ugly anywhere near my Jeep. I often spend more time setting up the MIG than actually laying down a bead, there's no excuse.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #35
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Then good thing it's not going on your Jeep.

I really don't care for something I spent 5 minutes throwing together that's going to get hit off road. Try scrambling to get **** done in a 120* shop for 10 hours then lay a bead with hands shaking as bad as mine were with a couple minutes to finish.

If it were some serious fab work or something I was doing for someone else I'd never let it go like that, but it's not and it's functional.

Unread 07-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #36
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Priced out material for bumpers, front and rear, and rocker guards.

Under $500 for everything is kinda hard to beat. Might go a bit over $100 by the time I prime and paint everything, but still worth it.
That's a killer deal for all the materials! I was actually just looking at 2x4 and 2x5 rectangular tubing, 3/16" and 1/4" for a rocker redo/fab-up. A metal supply shop in KC has it from around $45 to $66 bucks depending on dimension and thickness. I really need to learn how to weld!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #37
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Then good thing it's not going on your Jeep.

I really don't care for something I spent 5 minutes throwing together that's going to get hit off road. Try scrambling to get **** done in a 120* shop for 10 hours then lay a bead with hands shaking as bad as mine were with a couple minutes to finish.

If it were some serious fab work or something I was doing for someone else I'd never let it go like that, but it's not and it's functional.
That actually sounds like a normal day for me. We're all under the gun at work.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #38
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

That's a killer deal for all the materials! I was actually just looking at 2x4 and 2x5 rectangular tubing, 3/16" and 1/4" for a rocker redo/fab-up. A metal supply shop in KC has it from around $45 to $66 bucks depending on dimension and thickness. I really need to learn how to weld!
I'm doing the front bumper in 1.75 pipe, .120 wall. It's much cheaper to do welded pipe than DOM and DOM is overkill on a bumper anyway for most people.

I could reduce the price more if I wasn't buy prefabbed mounts but frankly I don't feel like fabbing them myself and the extra money is worth it to me not to have to mess with it.

I was going to do rectangular tubing because I don't have access to a tube bender but the linked thread killed that for me. At some point I'll do it in the rear because I'm going to build a tire carrier for it anyway.

Unread 07-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #39
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Decided to sell the tube bumper for the rear today. I wouldn't have if I didn't have to modify it to fit, but I really don't want to fab the same thing twice so I'm just going directly to what I'd planned on later, a recovery bumper with swing out tire carrier. It will save me from buying a hitch so it's not too much more expensive.

It'll end up looking similar to this:

I'm buying A to Z's kit for it so the way it latches and everything will be the same, obviously the framing will be a little different.

I'll likely do it in two steps as I don't really want or need the tire carrier until I've lifted it and have a full size spare to put on it. I'll still be doing the rear bumper before the front as the rear is bent to hell and messes with the hatch from opening and closing properly.

Unread 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #40
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Picked up some tires today for $100. Still have about 1/2 the tread on them so definitely worth the money. Lots of trimming this weekend it seems.

Also putting together my order for steel for my front and rear bumpers and tire carrier. Lucked out big time. I called my dad to see if his company gets a discount through the local metal supplier and it turned out he had a $500 gift certificate/customer appreciation card mailed to him last week he's letting me have. Only thing I'm going to have to pay for out of pocket on all 3 are the frame mounts, tire carrier kit, and tabs/shackles.

I'll get the steel in Monday and probably start the rear bumper next weekend. The extra square tubing will sit around til I'm ready for the tire carrier. It's an extra expense I don't need right now, but it's cheaper to buy the tube in bulk anyway.

As for the front, it will be a few weeks before I start on it. It's all going to have to be cut since I don't have or have access to a tube bender and I don't have a ton of experience with welding tube so I want to practice a bit before I jump into the front bumper with it given that it's going to be a recovery point and hold a winch at some point.

Order so far:
1x 6' 5"x2"x.188 Rectangular tube (main portion of the rear bumper)
3x 10' 2"x2"x.188 Square tube (tire carrier and bridging between the rear bumper and mounts)
2x 12' 1.75"x1.75"x.120 HREW tube (front bumper)

and totally unrelated 12' 1"x1" round bar for a couple horseshoe pits.
1.jpg   5n55fb5j23g93k73m6c7861fe821638a31fb0.jpg  

Unread 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #41
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My replacement phone finally got here today so here's some pics of the rear bumper and tire carrier build.

You'll just have to deal with the surface rust and thank me for standing out in the rain to get you guys pics. On the bumper only the 90* on that one side is capped, didn't make it to the 45* yet.

Not the worlds best looking welds, but they're sturdy. In hindsight I'd have dialed down the wire speed a notch. Oh well, I'll do it for the rest of the build though.

Final width of the bumper will be 63.5". Offset the tire on purpose. I'll lose a lot less visibility and I won't have to relocate my rear license plate.
2012-07-24_16-59-19_903.jpg   2012-07-24_16-59-24_551.jpg   2012-07-24_16-59-59_245.jpg   072112155658.jpg  

Unread 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #42
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Those are some nice lookin welds IMO, dude! Little grinding/sanding to smooth 'em out and some paint and they'll look seemless to the untrained eye (which is probably mine cause welding is not one of my skillsets).................

The rear bumper/tire carrier is something I would love to have one day. Are you planning on welding in some d-ring brackets to the back end?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #43
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Those are some nice lookin welds IMO, dude! Little grinding/sanding to smooth 'em out and some paint and they'll look seemless to the untrained eye (which is probably mine cause welding is not one of my skillsets).................

The rear bumper/tire carrier is something I would love to have one day. Are you planning on welding in some d-ring brackets to the back end?
I only plan on grinding the flat surface welds, but yeah. They're not bad considering my experience I suppose.

Yeah, full length ones from AJ's as a weld in hitch receiver. I'm getting the hardware for the tire carrier from AtoZ. Even after consumables and whatever I finish them in (probably bedliner) I'll still be under $200 for both. Definitely can't complain when they're so expensive to buy from someone else.

Unread 07-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #44
CharlieCherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Done anything on it recently?

you still going for that lime green colored paintjob?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1992-cherokee-sport-1394133/
CharlieCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've picked up a lot of parts for it recently but that's about it. I've had a lot of trouble with my DD that has ruined getting a replacement head, but aside from that I have a lift and tires ready to go and bumpers being worked on. Ideally I can get the head done next week, though at this point I'm about ready to just pull and it weld a chunk of cast iron on to where the piece snapped off and drill/tap a new hole for the bottom rad bolt.

Yep, still doing the green bedliner, but it won't likely happen til sometime in the fall.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.