Project Motorcharge - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Motorcharge

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #301
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I unbolted mine and bolted the new one on in all of 10 minutes and havent had an issue since. I just backed up against a curb so nothing could move when I loosened it.
That's what I thought... Damn forums misleading me... Thanks

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #302
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Updates?
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #303
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Nothing major. I bought some bump stop replacements and an IRO trackbar last week and glued in some hockey pucks a couple weeks ago.

Probably wont do anything for the next two weeks. I was at a party Friday night and I was talking to someone leaning against a railing on their front porch when the thing broke. I fell about 10 feet and landed on my back and had to go to the ER via ambulance. Nothings broken but my back is bruised as ****. Couldn't walk (well I could but it sucked ***) til Monday, it's not bad now and I expect it'll be fully healed by Monday but I figure I outta give it an extra week before I go putting much stress on it.

I really want to get my 2x6 rockers done this month before it gets too cold so I can wheel it for real at least once this year. All the local spots I've gone to for years have finally gotten shut down or developed and no longer exist. I wrote my state senator about getting written access to some land he owns right behind my apartment I used to wheel on all the time when I thought it was state owned. They developed the land on the other side and some ******* there doesn't like hearing the noise so he calls fish and wildlife with a bunch of bull**** lies anytime anyone goes back there now. I don't think the Senator actually cares if anyone's back there though honestly, there has always been people on dirtbikes or ATVs just riding around on the trail back there for years until this ******* moved in. Still, I don't want to tresspass on anyone's land now that I know it's private property.

But yeah, I got the plasma working so the 2x6s should be pretty easy to do now. My table saw and grinder have to fight through 1/4" and it's just a pain in the *** cutting it without one. I need to replace some of the consumables in the torch but that's cheap. I let one of the guys at work try it and he grounded out the tip and set one of the in ground lifts on fire for a day because of all the leaves and grease that are trapped down there.

I haven't gotten to try it on anything thick like 1/2"-1" yet but it cuts right through 3/8" like butter.
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #304
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I need to replace my rear leafs too but can't bring myself to spend the money on stock replacements when OME ones are basically the same price but I don't need more lift and would have to redo my entire rear lift setup to replace stock springs with lifted ones. I've thought about just getting some JY 97+ springs but you can't pull them yourself here because they have the cars sitting on the axles so you have to pay them to pull anything suspension related and by the time I do that I could just buy new springs.

Replaced my HVAC controls a couple weeks ago as well and finally got the LED in there so that's been kinda cool lol

That's really all I can think of. There's a ton of **** I need to do but I never feel like trying to get it done at work in a day anymore and don't have anywhere at home to wrench and can't bring the shop welder home to use at my uncles either.
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #305
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Oh I did find someone to bend tube for me finally so I'm going to finally do the rear chop when it starts getting warm again. Possibly sooner if the weather stays mild like it was last year though. I've also been tossing around the idea of parting this thing out and picking up and MJ since it's a lot more practical for what I want to do but I dunno if I'm going to bother.
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #306
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Used the lift at work to get my front bump stops pushed in. I put the Jeep up in the air to droop the axles and then stuck and extra 4 hockey pucks in and then the bumpstops on top of them and then let the Jeep down to let the weight push them in. Took some trial and error but beat the **** outta pulling the coils.

I couldn't quite get it flex all the way with the service jack but it's damn close and I've still got room for up travel if I wanted to pull a puck out. I could probably fit 35s just fine how I'm setup at the moment. Lift arms are out in the picks to catch the Jeep in case it fell off the jack. It's not a long fall but I didnt' want to catch the jack and pop a tire either. They're not actually touching anything in these pics.

I'm 6'3" and the pass side fender was over my head at this point. Not bad for stock LCAs.

I couldn't get the rear up enough to catch the wheel well or the bumpstop but the axle tube is closer to the bump stop than the wheel well so I should be good. It's a solid 16" off the ground with the other 3 wheels planted here lol

Left there and went over to one of my dad's job sites he said I could throw some mud in before they grade on Monday when I was done. Jeeps been too clean lately.

I also got an email back from the state senator I'd written about the land behind my house. Apparently he's never been back there because he wrote back saying the only reason he couldn't give me permission is he thinks there's no access (I told him I have a Jeep ). Wrote him back with pics of the paved road that runs up to it (it's part of an old road that's now divided in two by a highway that's been built since, pics below) so we'll see what happens. His email seemed positive about giving me written permission to drive back there if there was access.
map.jpg

Unread 11-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #307
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Gutted my passenger side wheel well and lower quarters today. Didn't do that stupid lip everyone leaves with the cut and fold either. Took about 5 hours of pretty steady work but it was a lot of trial and error figuring out what I should and shouldn't cut so I think the other side will go quicker next weekend. I'd also never welded sheet metal before so I about an hour of this I spent on cutting out some small squares and welding them together to figure out what I wanted for settings and how easy it is to burn through.

I still need to finish welding it (still have 2 small sections missing) then get some seam sealer on it and at least prime it and I'll be done with this side but I'm pretty happy with it for now. I feel like I need bigger tires now though.

Unread 11-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #308
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I like it, what are you going to paint it all with once you're done?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #309
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I'm going to Monstaline it at some point but I didn't want to do it until I'm finished hacking up the body. Still need to do the other side, cut the rockers out for 2x6s and I'm cutting the back of the roof out when it starts getting warmer again. When I finished these wheel wells I'll probably just throw some primer and spray paint on em for now to keep the rust away.
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #310
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet, all good ideas, I like the room it frees up back there.
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #311
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely frees up some space! I like it. Good job come do mine now?
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #312
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Head on down to the red clay state of OK when you're done I got a hero down here with messed up rear quarters, just hack and whack em! Hehe don't get too excited now..
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #313
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Picked this up tonight. Now I just need a car trailer and I can actually afford to get this thing out to trails.

03 with 4.7 with 200k on it. Needs a little work but only paid $1500.

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #314
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a sweet deal for the money invested.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #315
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yep id say that tis a sweet deal, should tow just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.