Project Motorcharge - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Motorcharge

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

gotcha. that thing doesn't look half bad for 400 bucks. good luck with it and your job so you can keep this one!

currently jeepless
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Not a problem with this one.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty torn between lifting it and bedlining the exterior first. Both are going to cost about the same for me. I was set on the lift til I saw a picture on here of someone using the same color bedliner I'm going to use and seeing how good it turned out. I had shocks ordered for the lift but they had to put them on backorder so I cancelled and hadn't reordered from elsewhere yet.

Here's the color I'm looking at:

Wheels will be the same color. Rockers/door lowers, door handles, grill, bezels, ect will be black.

Unread 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That green looks pretty slick. I usually don't like the bright colors but I think that'll look pretty sweet man
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've loved that color for as long as I can remember and I'm stoked to do it, just not sure which to do first.

I'm heading to the junkyard tomorrow for s10 leaves and comanche shackles (they set a comanche out today), hopefully no one got them yet.

I've got everything I need for the lift minus the shocks and they're going to cost me about as much as the bedliner will so I'm kinda torn on which to do first.

Tonight I bought a clothing steamer ($30) to remove the old tint on the windows. It works awesome, but I only got the 2 back door windows done before it got dark and didn't feel like clearing out the garage to have light. I have to go into work tomorrow anyway to work on the Jeep so I'll just finish it up there.

To do list tomorrow:
shackles/s10 packs at the JY
finish removing window tint
put in upper shock bolt on drivers side rear
finish making the doors removable
install head unit and front/rear speakers with quick connects up front
replace thermostat and rear brake shoes

If I've got time I'll throw the Up Country coils and shackle on for ~1" of lift since I'll have the parts anyway and don't have to worry about the shocks with an inch.

Unread 06-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #21
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used straight ammonia on my tint (po had put on that ugly chrome tint). It took some long hours of razor blade scraping but I got it off of there eventually.

I vote go ahead and buy your shocks and get that bad boy up in the air. Just my personal preference. Looking forward to some good pictures after today, have fun man
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've done the amonia thing and the steamer beats it by a long shot. I'm about an hour in today on it and I've got all but a small portion of the hatch glass done.

Hit the JY this morning and the comanche shackles were gone but I got a tube bumper off it for $40. Waiting on them to pull it now. Go figure one bolt was seized and I couldn't get it to budge and couldn't get my sawzall in enough to cut it. Also picked up a mirror off a mail jeep for when the doors are off.

Pics later on today.

Unread 06-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ah man you must have some scavengers in your junk yards lol. I live in a small town so I always seem to get lucky at the JY
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Annnnnd my trans **** the bed.

Probably not shot, I think it just blew a seal. Got it to work and on a lift but didn't get to check it over much because I got in too late. I'll fill it up Monday and check it over. Not a huge deal though I do have other things I'd rather spend it on.

Unread 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Got it up in the air after work and found the problem after putting 2 qts back in the trans, one of the lines blew out the side. Couldn't find anything wrong with the plastic clip but I couldn't get it back in either. Didn't have much time to mess with it. Hopefully I can just order a new clip and pop it back in, but either way at worst I'm looking at ~$40 for a new line and I get the fluid free at work anyway.
2012-06-18_16-50-12_945.jpg  

Unread 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

And here's some pictures of the new bumper. It came off an MJ, but I think the mounts should line up similar enough that I can bolt them on from the sides rather than the top. At worst I'll torch the mounts off and replace them. Still well worth the $50.
2012-06-18_18-04-59_877.jpg   2012-06-18_18-05-25_414.jpg  

Unread 06-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #27
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Plans for today:
finish making the doors removable
fabbing up a bracket for the cj rear mirror to mount on the fender
cleaning and painting the mirror
aux fan over ride switch
head unit and front speaker install
swapping the tires/wheels off my Dakota onto the XJ

If I have time I might run the wiring for the amp/sub but I still have to have the amp repaired so I dunno if I'm going to mess with it today. Also may start fabbing up new mounts for the rear bumper since the existing ones aren't going to work.

Unread 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

drivers side doors are off. If you do this mod make your life easier and get a bottle jack to lift the doors off once the hinges are cut and get a $15 harbor freight air hammer to knock the bottoms of the hinges off. The rear took me 30 plus minutes to get just the cut hinges off, the front took literally 2 seconds.

forumrunner_20120623_113905.jpg

Unread 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Go figure the dremel died when I went to do the passenger side. Had to pull the hinges and the last one on the front door was a nightmare and took about 3 hours to work the last bolt out because I couldn't take the fender off to get to the bolts. The bottom 2 torx bolts had been stripped out and I didn't really have time to pull the full fender off. I welded the pin in on the rear door but didn't have time to do the rear but I picked up some 1/4" pins from Lowe's and they worked just fine.

I don't have pics yet but I got the quick connects in for the front door speakers and stuck some Sony's I had in the front doors. Still gotta pull my rear speakers outta my truck for the back door.

I really didn't have time to do much else, but I did pull the muffler out and straight piped it. Sounds a hell of a lot better than it did.
2012-06-23_20-39-27_63.jpg   2012-06-23_20-39-42_137.jpg  

Unread 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I got the side mirror painted and bracket for it fabbed up but didn't have time to pull the fender to put it on. It's sitting in the hinge with a 1/4" bolt through it for the time being just for the sake of not getting ticketed.

I don't want to just be legal, I want the rear view to be functional and look halfway decent. I'd tossed around the idea of Wrangler rear views mounted to the fenders but I didn't want to shell out $50-70 for them. With the postal Jeep mirror and hardware (had the steel laying around for the bracket) I've got a whole $10 invested and it's going to be leaps and bounds better than the $7 Harbor Freight mirror just thrown in the hinge. Not the best welds on it but I rushed on it at the end of the day and I couldn't even keep my hands from shaking because I was so exhausted. It's just .75" square tube on .75" angle iron. I could have cut it down more but the mirror is large so I wanted it to stick out a good bit to be more functional.

I still need to drill holes for it, battery on my cordless barely holds a charge anymore and drained after getting the one hole done.
2012-06-23_21-40-57_778.jpg   2012-06-23_21-41-04_877.jpg   2012-06-23_21-41-22_747.jpg   2012-06-23_21-41-32_131.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.