Project Motörcharge 2.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Motörcharge 2.0

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Project Motörcharge 2.0

Drove 15 hours round trip down to Asheville, NC to pick this up last night.

I'll add more details and pictures later on today but here some basic info for now.

Paid $1500. Actually, I paid more for this thing than I did for my other 4 XJs combined.

91 Comanche Eliminator 4WD Short Bed
4.0/AW4/NP231 with 158k on the clock
Dana 30/Dana 35

Came with a rear D44 out of an Isuzu Rodeo but I think I'm going to get rid of it for something else. Front 44s are crazy expensive and I've already got wheels and tires for this thing so I don't want to buy new ones to accommodate the 44 being 6 lug.

Only issues the PO says it has are torque converter shutter and a leaking rear main seal. Hoping the shutter is something simple and the rear main leak is no big deal. I figure worst case I can pull the trans out the XJ and swap it right over.

For now I don't plan on anything crazy. ~4.5 lift, swap my wheels/tires/bumpers over, clean it up, get the uniframe and body undercoated to keep it in the shape it's in, lockers, OTK steering, ect. Plan on keeping this one fit for DD duty. Not entirely sure what I'm gonna do with the XJ, probably parts donor for now, but I might keep it for a trail rig since it's paid for and not costing me anything sitting there.

Unread 10-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Found the owner's manuals are still there and the a/c actually works. Looks like the PO had just had the oil changed, new tstat, rad hoses, water pump, and a coolant flush done which is great because I hate messing with the cooling system. Found a big chunk of the power steering pulley is gone so that's on the list to replace ASAP. Drove it around the farm a bit and it feels fine, gonna have to slap my truck plates on it later and run it down the road to see what's up with the trans.

I think I'm gonna pull all my LEDs and the H4 headlights out of the XJ in a bit and throw them in the MJ too.
Unread 10-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Need to order some stuff from Napa when I get to work tomorrow. I'd do it today but we get like 30% off through work.

Power steering pulley, idler pulley, spark plugs, wires, cap, cap rotor, wiper blades, air filter, ect.

Andddd THIS is why I HATE drop in bed liners.

Cleaner, but I'm gonna pull out the power washer in a bit and do the whole truck. Doesn't look like the outside has been cleaned in years.

Unread 10-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Getting a good chunk of cash at the end of the month and need to find someone other than Rusty's that does full leaf packs for MJs. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order some Monstaliner for at least the bed and the rockers if not the inside of the cab floor too. I'll put the carpet back in over it but the rust protection can't hurt. I'm thinking Pyroclastic.
Unread 10-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

That thing looks pretty damn clean inside and out from the pics! Nice find.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good, I love MJs, subbed.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Redrill the rotors.
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Genuinely excited about this build. Looks to be in great shape!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

It's in pretty damn good shape. Got the interior and dash bulbs swapped as well as the headlights. Power washed it and spent a couple hours undoing a lot of previous owners afro-engineering.

The interior is in better shape than I expected. It would be perfect if a previous owners dog hadn't chewed all kinds of ****. Swapped my console lid out for that reason.

Anyone have any idea how to change the courtes light bulbs above the seatbelts?
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Is that your black ice or is that courtesy of the PO?

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

PO. Threw like 3 away plus a couple unopened ones. I HATE the black ice air fresheners. Got a couple yankee candle fall ones in there now.

Waiting on a check for a few grand before I order but planning on IRO's trackbar and OTK steering kit. Also going to piece together a 4.5" lift kit. Anyone know what degree shims I'm going to need? Planning on new leafs, RE 4.5 coils, LCAs (not sure who yet*), swaybar links, and Bilsteins. Am I overlooking anything? Haven't thought about a lift that high in a good while lol. Intentionally didn't include a TC drop or SYE, gonna wait and see if I need em.

*The D44 I got still has the control arms from the Trooper on it. They look like they'll work but how long do the LCAs need to be at 4.5" to keep the axle centered? They seem awfully long but it could just be in my head.
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Something else I noticed, a cigarette lighter..........lol

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Something else I noticed, a cigarette lighter..........lol
Looks better than the empty hole in the dash.
Unread 10-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
PO. Threw like 3 away plus a couple unopened ones. I HATE the black ice air fresheners. Got a couple yankee candle fall ones in there now.

Waiting on a check for a few grand before I order but planning on IRO's trackbar and OTK steering kit. Also going to piece together a 4.5" lift kit. Anyone know what degree shims I'm going to need? Planning on new leafs, RE 4.5 coils, LCAs (not sure who yet*), swaybar links, and Bilsteins. Am I overlooking anything? Haven't thought about a lift that high in a good while lol. Intentionally didn't include a TC drop or SYE, gonna wait and see if I need em.

*The D44 I got still has the control arms from the Trooper on it. They look like they'll work but how long do the LCAs need to be at 4.5" to keep the axle centered? They seem awfully long but it could just be in my head.
I wouldn't buy shims until your lift is on, settled, and you can measure yourself. Through my experience, I've found that you can get close but not correct. When I first put my lift on, 4* shims were fine and there were no vibes. As it settled and now how it is with the weight on it, 4* isn't right, and I swapped out to 6*. If I were you, I'd measure before you buy.

Another thing, if you want my old shims, PM me. I can get them to you for the cost of shipping and the cost of gas for me to drive them to the post office. They're of no use to me anyway.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:33 AM   #15
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

MJ is the only thing I'd replace my XJ with. (That's a lie - an '06 LJ Rubicon would also tighten the pants)

How does the 1500 pull the trailer and MJ combo? I suspect fairly well minus the fuel economy

I'm closing a deal this week on a 2010 4dr 1500 w. Hemi and about to pick up a 16' hauler as part of plans for Moab next spring. Fairly certain I'll toss in a tuner to help w. power and towing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.