Project Mercenary - JeepForum.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Project Mercenary

This is roughly XJ #10 for me. Honestly, I've lost count at this point, but I think I finally found "the one". An early '99, 4.0, low mileage, rust free, and tan interior.

For this build I'll be treading the line of streetability and offroad capability... well trying to anyways. My goal is to create a rig that can perform offroad and also have the wherewithal to handle itself on the street driving to the trails. I don't want this thing to end up a strict trailer queen.

To give you an idea of the general direction this build may be heading, some of my inspirations and favorite XJs are JCR's Project Realhawk, the ORFab Ferrar Jeep, and USN_BlackWK's builds.

I'll kick it off with some of the earliest photos I could dig up. Hope you guys love the build as much as I do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Here it's sitting on a D30/D35 - Rubicon Express 5.5" Long arm, Rubicon Express SYE, custom rear driveshaft, and some "33s" - don't remember exactly what tires these were, but they were much closer to 31s.

post #3 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Exact same setup except swapped out for some 33" MTRs. Couldn't stand the old tires. Also added some pre-97 front bumper end caps just to clean it up a little for now

post #4 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Set of Napier V2 Flares installed. Definitely a solid/strong flare for those looking for something at a decent price. This flare is also shorter in the back for a quarter fold bumper. No other companies that make a quarter fold flare that I am aware of.

post #5 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Cleaned up the engine. CPS was acting up so I replaced that (fun..), fresh plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

Also received a set of 784 injectors as a gift and installed those. For anyone who hasn't done this easy mod I highly recommend it. It worked wonders for my Jeep. At that time I was on stock 3.55 gears and 33" MTRs. On the highway it wasn't fun maintaining speed and it was constantly shifting if I tried to use the cruise control. After the 784 install there was a very noticeable increase in throttle response and I was also able to maintain highway speeds much easier. No more constant shifting while using the cruise control. MPG increased as well.

post #6 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Picked up a clean 8.8 with limited slip and disk brakes for the rear

Cleaned up and painted the HPD30 and 8.8. Regeared to 4.56 (Yukon) and added some Solid diff covers. Very impressed with these things. Skipping on lunch this week to recoup some cost for all the Royal Purple it took to fill these up with the new diff covers

post #7 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Ditching the barely used 33's for a fresh set of 35" MTRs on some 15" Black Rock wheels.

Couple shots of the rear flares that I forgot to post before

post #8 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Jeep is on jack stands and boxes full of parts. Can't wait to get this thing back on wheels. Also ordered a Warn 8k winch. There was a great deal and also a $75 rebate at Quadratec so I couldn't pass it up

post #9 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Victory 4x4 bumper arrived and pick up a set of Trucklites which are now my favorite mod so far

post #10 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Some new winch toys from 12voltguy and Factor 55. I was very impressed with the switch. Wasn't expecting much at first, but this thing is quality. Highly recommend his stuff

post #11 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Axles in and trucklites on. Tough to get a good comparison shot of the headlights... plus it was like 2 AM in the photo and was too exhausted to work too hard for one

In this photo I actually added an Ironman4x4 tie rod, but couldn't find any photos of the swap. It is beefy though, night and day compared to stock. Got a good deal on it so it's just there for the mean time. Most likely will pass it on to a buddy of mine and upgrade to Currie. Also added a black grill. Looks good here, but I think I prefer the color

post #12 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Going to be doing the bumpers, sliders, and rack in black Monstaliner

Front bumper covered in Monstaliner. Decided to roll on rather than spray. Love the way it came out

post #13 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Mounted the bumper, added smoked corners, and mounted the winch, D-rings etc.

post #14 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

JCR tail light armor and LED tail lights are next. Going to still use reverse lights so I ordered a couple of Tow Ready converter boxes and also the EP27 relay off Amazon so that I won't have the fast blinkers after the LED swap.

post #15 of 186 Old 06-04-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
JeepologyXJ

Still need to wire in the LEDs, but quick test fit of the tail light armor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.