Project high school build! - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project high school build!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #631
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Lol Im genuinely trying to be helpful in a roundabout ******bag kinda way. I dont really like to talk much outside of personal experience, and Ive never used a legitimate tube bender. I HAVE been around HF poop pipe benders enough to know they are not ideal or even remotely efficient. I have friends that have used them to build cages for their cheap *** beater junk rigs. They have all been internal cages and not exo's, and served their purpose well enough on mild flops, but if you give a damn about the longevity of the Jeep you might want to look into something else, even if it means holding off on this project.

I mean, no disrespect, but do you even need a cage? Where do you wheel at? You are probably already overbuilt for the wheeling in your area. I cannot understand building a rig up to do something a much smaller rig with a locker could do. Do you have any worry of flopping anyway? Thinking your ****in Ken Block in a field does not count.

Edit: sorry if this cones off mean. The booze has made md the honesty fairy tonight and Im sprinkling my shenanigans all over. Merry christmas
Hahaha love the Ken block statement. But yes I do have worries of flopping. I have come damn close multiple times. We don't have rocks around here. Just really gnarly hill climbs and logs and stuff. I don't see my jeep being overbuilt for what I do. I probably could have been just fine with with a 4.5 inch lift and 35s on stock axles but why not get some bigger axles just to worry a little less. Plus I built the jeep to learn more than what I learned from my cj and too enjoy having something to build and say I made that versus I put that kit on. The way I see it my exo will be used more for body protection from trees and **** but if I flopped or roll it would help more than not having one.

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #632
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post

Thank you! I will come up with some kind of plan or post pics of other rigs that I might copy. What is a node though? And everyone says exo cages help stiffen stiffen the unibody. Did you notice that when you did yours?
It's a point where many pieces of tube meet in one spot. Huge strength when done right.

Any cage in general will stiffen up the unibody, an exo just gives you more spots to tie into the unibody.

The more tie-ins you have, the more solid the body will be
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #633
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

A node.
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #634
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
It's a point where many pieces of tube meet in one spot. Huge strength when done right.

Any cage in general will stiffen up the unibody, an exo just gives you more spots to tie into the unibody.

The more tie-ins you have, the more solid the body will be
Gotcha. I'm gonna look up nodes. Is your exo build in your build thread? Before I go look I Wana know lol
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #635
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Gotcha. I'm gonna look up nodes. Is your exo build in your build thread? Before I go look I Wana know lol
I should have a few pictures of the build in there
2013 COTY
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #636
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A node.
Ahhhh. Looks like 1 piece goes across and the other 5 are notched and welded to it?
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #637
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Ahhhh. Looks like 1 piece goes across and the other 5 are notched and welded to it?
Yea, that's how that one is.

But it's generally just a common point where multiple structural tubes meet
2013 COTY
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #638
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I should have a few pictures of the build in there
Was your cage the first cage you have built?
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #639
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Was your cage the first cage you have built?
Yea, it was
2013 COTY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.