Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project high school build!

42K views 637 replies 27 participants last post by  SFRautomotive 
#1 ·
Hi guys im going to be making a build on my xj. I'm in the market right now for a 4 door xj. Hoping to get some subscribers now so when I get it and start the work I can get some input. I built a cj5 last year. Will post a before and after pic. Blew the motor up in the Cj, got pissed off, and decided I wanted a xj. Hoping to have the xj through college as well

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#5 ·
DrGrand said:
XJs are good vehicles. I am a teenager building a WJ. They are fun to work on!
Sweet man. Biggest problem for me is coming up with money. I usually have to take parts off and sell them before I can buy new parts to replace them. Hopefully my xj will treat me well

#6 ·
Back to the xj I'm looking for a 4dr 4.0 with an auto and np231. Love manuals but I need an auto for convenience and to many times I had to have a friend move my Cj and couldn't do it because they couldn't drive stick. Plans for the xj are to keep it a little more simple than the Cj but still badass. Planning on a 6.5 inch lift and 33 inch boggers. Probably some black eaton beadlock wheels. Going to decide on bumpers when I get it but I have a winch already. Thought about using my corbeau seats but I sold them because I'd rather have money to get the xj. Going to put my pioneer radio in it and get some subwolfers. My budget is $4000 to buy the xj and then will probably spend every penny on it after that. It's going to be a DD/wheeler. Probably going to get a ford 8.8 and keep the Dana 30. Get some 4.56 gears and most likely just weld the rear spider gears. Stay posted to see what my new jeep will look like. I've looked at a couple but I'm looking for a reliable start and they weren't it. Will keep you guys posted

#7 ·
So I think I have found the jeep I'm getting. It's about 6 hours away from me in Kentucky. It's got a 3.5 inch lift and 31s. 102,000 miles and its in good condition. Warn rock sliders that are in good condition and a cargo rack inside with a full size spare. All for 3000. What you guys think?

#10 ·
Went to look at another today that found out was in an accident and had an abandoned car title signed my a cop. Drove like some ***. No castor at all and it felt way to plush and just drove horrible. I NEED to get a jeep. I'm having withdrawals. Might get a zj. Found one for sale for 4500 with a 6 inch long arm and nice tires I think are 33s it's white and I think it's a 4.0.

#14 ·
Obv. Watch for the 0331 head in 00-01 xjs

Zjs are cheaper then xjs around here idk why.
I know your young and so am I but do you really want to weld your rear end on a dd? Assuming it will be your dd.

#15 ·
bobthecatkiller said:
Obv. Watch for the 0331 head in 00-01 xjs

Zjs are cheaper then xjs around here idk why.
I know your young and so am I but do you really want to weld your rear end on a dd? Assuming it will be your dd.
Yea zjs are cheap here to. And I did it to my Cj. It chirps a little but I'm not planning on NASCAR turns in my jeep so it's not to bad.

#18 ·
Nice. Whats first?

#19 ·
bmac13sv said:
Nice. Whats first?
First change all fluids and go over everything real good. And hang some black ice on the mirror haha. He modded the door hinges to take the doors off and they don't line up great now but he included new hinges so I'm gonna put those on. Then save up for a 4.5 long arm and some 33s and some black rock beadlocks

#20 ·
First thing first, I actually have some bump steer to cure, don't know If it's drag link or if its just that I need to adjust the control arms. It just hunts a little bit while driving. On a really smooth road you can let your hand off the wheel and it drives perfect until the slightest bump then you have to keep it in a straight line

#21 ·
Well guys I failed Maryland state Inspection yesterday. Not a big deal. I need new front rotors, LCA bushings, 3rd brake light, and windshield to pass. Everything else on the jeep was good. Going to be replacing all this soon so I can get my tags and stop using the guy I bought it from tags. Also going to put a new starter on because mine almost left me stranded the other day. I haven't had time to do anything yet. To much school and hockey. Hopefully over thanksgiving break and I can get under the jeep and get some ****t done. Trying to decide exactly what route I want to go as far as lift steering gears sye tires and stuff like that. I'm excited to get the build going though. Once I can sell some more parts from my cj5 and get some money ill be loading the garage with parts to build it. Gonna paint the grill black and Bedliner the rockers soon to. Maybe paint the rubi wheels black for now. Any input guys?

#22 ·
Passed inspection yesterday and got my own tags! Got new rotors, windshield, 3rd brake light and talked them into passing the rest. This week I'm getting new upper and lower balljoints, new track bar bushings, LCA bushings, tie rod ends, and now I have to put a new alternator on because apparently muddy water isn't good for alternators! Did some wheeling yesterday. Happy thanksgiving!

Attachments

#23 ·
Could anyone recommend what they think the best lift and tire size combo is as well as brands of lift? I want bigger than my 3 Inch I know that and I want Atleast 33s. Just can't decide. My old jeep had about 7 Inches and 37s so I know how it is with bigger lifts. What has worked well for you guys?

#24 ·
Finally got some time to work on the jeep today! Put a new alternator and belt on. They could not have put that alternator in a worse spot! Fought with almost everything in the way. Overall successful though because I found out alot that I need to replace and finally got to really go through everything real good. Also used my friends shops lift to see what size lift I think i should get and it's looking like a 4.5 or 5 inch lift will be perfect for what I want.

#25 ·
good looking jeep to start with I would stick with the 3'' trim trim and make that long arm but that's just me I like them nice and low. 4.5 works great on 33's with some trimming that is what I have for the time being.

#26 ·
ScottD16 said:
good looking jeep to start with I would stick with the 3'' trim trim and make that long arm but that's just me I like them nice and low. 4.5 works great on 33's with some trimming that is what I have for the time being.
The wheeling I do 3" just doesn't cut it. I need Atleast 33s. Low cog is definitely a huge benefit to any kind of vehicle but 3" is just a little to small for me. I def am gonna go long arm though. I want a smooth ride on and offroad and I want alot of articulation. Don't know how much trimming I can do because I have to keep this jeep legal. My last one on full size Chevys was bAdass though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.