Project high school build! - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project high school build!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #526
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
What's the toe set at? That can cause wandering. And take more pictures
i just had the toe aligned. if i can find the papers ill tell you exactly. but its not a toe in kind of wander. that would be like a darty feel. its like bumpsteer where the wheel turns itself. i dont think its actually bumpsteer though because it does it even on smooth roads not just on bumps. and only when i get to around 45 mph and higher. at slower speeds it handles like a dream. and i blasted through my yard a couple times over some bumps and for the most part the steering wheel stayed straight. im just confused on what could be the cause. i took some pics that im about to upload to photobucket then ill post them. the only other thing i can think of is the whole axle moving left to right but thats not common with leaf springs. unless theres a force pushing the axle. like turning when your tire is up against a rock or something.

Unread 09-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #527
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #528
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Draglink is temporary until I can get some 11/4 .25 wall dom.
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #529
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No offense but your front end terrifies me.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #530
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Lol none taken. It is scary right now. I need to cut the 3rd link mount off. Make a proper draglink. Paint it. And I knew the hi steer wad going to scare alot of people.
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #531
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Oh and the 2 bolts for a stabalizer mount was also temporary. Just to see if a stabalizer helped at all.
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #532
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ
Steering links could be bigger but I don't see what's scary...
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #533
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post

Steering links could be bigger but I don't see what's scary...
I think shi tty would be the correct word. Lol I rigged everything up to get it working properly then im gonna make a bigger better draglink and paint everything to look nice
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #534
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey sorry i dont want to go back and look but where did your front d44 come from?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #535
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
Well I finally got some emissions stuff cleared up. Only code is for my nss. I can finally start working on the axles again. I have 4.10s but I feel like I will need lower gears because with 3.55s and 245/75/16s my jeep is slow as hell. So I may start saving for 5.13s. Until then I will just run the 4.10s. I realized the rear spring perches on a ford Dana 60 are already the right width for a xj so I'm happy about that. I'm going to build a ladder bar soon. Basically all I need is to weld a new spring perch on the front axle because it was ground off so ill get one for that and then take a weekend to strip my axles off, build shackle mounts up front, I've got some stock Yj springs that ill use, and ill put the full widths on and see what ill need for brakes and driveshafts Ill prob end up pulling the axles back out after I get them fit and all my mounts welded up and I'm gonna paint them and all that ****. Should have some updates soon

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
so what year d60 rear will swap right in? if the perches are right width it can be a direct swap? please enlighten me on this you have the set up I want and also was the front end from this same vehicle? what size/year fords? thanks sorry for ALL the questions.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #536
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post

so what year d60 rear will swap right in? if the perches are right width it can be a direct swap? please enlighten me on this you have the set up I want and also was the front end from this same vehicle? what size/year fords? thanks sorry for ALL the questions.
I got my axles from a 1978 f250. They are 3/4 ton. The 60 you just cut the perches off and weld them farther in to match the cherokee spring width. The rear is easy as pie. The front is nice because the axle tubes are free space to weld on coil buckets and link mounts. An easy way to throw a dana 44 on the front is a ford radius arm setup though. The only mounts you end up making are 2 mounts on the jeep for the ford radius arms and you can extend the radius arms so they are flatter and ride better. Then you make a trackbar and roll with it. Leaf springs was easy too if you wana go that route
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #537
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
I got my axles from a 1978 f250. They are 3/4 ton. The 60 you just cut the perches off and weld them farther in to match the cherokee spring width. The rear is easy as pie. The front is nice because the axle tubes are free space to weld on coil buckets and link mounts. An easy way to throw a dana 44 on the front is a ford radius arm setup though. The only mounts you end up making are 2 mounts on the jeep for the ford radius arms and you can extend the radius arms so they are flatter and ride better. Then you make a trackbar and roll with it. Leaf springs was easy too if you wana go that route
I really want a rear 44 are there any rear 44's that are direct swap or easy like that? i can get away with a front 30
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #538
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post

I really want a rear 44 are there any rear 44's that are direct swap or easy like that? i can get away with a front 30
Some cherokees had a 44 rear. Honestly cutting and welding perches is not hard at all and if you can do it your rear axle choices are basically unlimited
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #539
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07

My honest thoughts on this are, After wheeling with them I don't like 44s. At all. They are to delicate in the front application as far as shafts go they still use the 5x-760 joints I have in my turdy. In the rear they have bearing problems all to often. Your better off with a 8.8 or a 29 spline 8.25. Ibjeepin has beaten his on 35s I beat mine on 34s that are pretty grippy. I have seen them last on 36-37s. If you want bolt in that is your guy.

I <3 rockrash
Unread 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #540
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

My honest thoughts on this are, After wheeling with them I don't like 44s. At all. They are to delicate in the front application as far as shafts go they still use the 5x-760 joints I have in my turdy. In the rear they have bearing problems all to often. Your better off with a 8.8 or a 29 spline 8.25. Ibjeepin has beaten his on 35s I beat mine on 34s that are pretty grippy. I have seen them last on 36-37s. If you want bolt in that is your guy.

I <3 rockrash
You say 44s have bearing problems(which they don't) yet suggest an 8.25? ( which are constantly burning through pinion bearings) Even the 29 spline shafts are still in the same region as a d35, and the aftermarket support is nothing compared to a 44. The 44 is stronger than a 8.25 hands down.
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.