Project high school build! - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project high school build!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #511
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
ok cool, when I 1st got into jeep I thought it would be cool to have the front leaf springs. but then just never happened. glad to see someone doing this. what did you end up doing with those long arms you made?
Threw them in my pile of scrap lol. The one is bent so its useless. I do have a ton of jjs and heims now for future projects. And alot of tubing left

Unread 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #512
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sweet! like I said man keep it up bro! you are doing exactly what you say you're gonna do which i am amazed over. most people say things and never get it done, but shoot man every time I check your thread you have something new that you have done, I like the idea of front leafs... how does it ride on the road? any difference?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #513
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
sweet! like I said man keep it up bro! you are doing exactly what you say you're gonna do which i am amazed over. most people say things and never get it done, but shoot man every time I check your thread you have something new that you have done, I like the idea of front leafs... how does it ride on the road? any difference?
Its rides better then when I first got it with 3 inch lift and rc control arms. Its smooth as hell right now. Im tired of wrenching I wana get back to wheeling and ****ing around. So im hoping everything holds up well and I can go beat on her. Thanks for the feedback man! And btw the ride is definately better than my coil setup lol I should have known Id muff that up
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #514
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

1 picture?!?!?!....

Cmon man!
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #515
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive
1 picture?!?!?!.... Cmon man!
X2. Moar pics, MEOW!
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #516
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha ok ok. i dont have many flat pics of it since i got it sitting level and everything done but heres the tj flares in the front
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #517
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

shortly after that pic i trimmed the rest of the autozone shackles off in the front. i used the first hole which was 5" from hole to hole. rides soft and well. im very happy with the front leaves. im taking my steering knuckle to school tomorrow so i can weld on a high steer arm in welding. i may use 3/4" inch instead of 1". i think our plasma cutter can cut 3/4" but not 1". hopefully my teacher will cut me out an arm cuz i dont know how to use that ****. lol i thought it was cast steel but it may be cast iron so ill just tack the arm on, heat em up good and use a nickel rod. maybe even just mig it. ill see what my teacher thinks. or do any of you have any advice? dont say dont weld it because im going to.
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #518
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
haha ok ok. i dont have many flat pics of it since i got it sitting level and everything done but heres the tj flares in the front
Shackle angle looks fairly decent. Get more pics, including the mounts.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #519
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wait what, why did you put leafs on the front?
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #520
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Homemade highsteer. Looks pretty redneck but I dont care. I think it will hold though. Pre heated and welded the first piece to the cast with 7018 then the arm that comes out I welded with a mig. Im gonna drill the hole today and hopefully put it all back together tomorrow. Anybody know what size reamer I need for a 79 f150 drag link tre?
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #521
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
Homemade highsteer. Looks pretty redneck but I dont care. I think it will hold though. Pre heated and welded the first piece to the cast with 7018 then the arm that comes out I welded with a mig. Im gonna drill the hole today and hopefully put it all back together tomorrow. Anybody know what size reamer I need for a 79 f150 drag link tre?
forgot that lol
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #522
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Wait what, why did you put leafs on the front?
Cuz I hated the coil setup I had. I thought the 3 link radius arm setup would work better than it did. Also I bent a control arm but I should have picked a different material for them anyway. I know how to setup leaf springs and I think they are simple and work fine for the offroading I do.
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #523
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice work man! although seems like you arent posting up pics of the front leaf set up! lol I like the idea I mean most people get mad flex outta leafs in the rear so I dont see why it wouldnt work up front, I just think it will limit the flex to some degree.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #524
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sorry about no pics. but i finished the high steer and drove it today. still something funky going on. its like its wandering on its own. and the steering still feels loose. my castor is about 7-8 degrees up front so i dont think its that. tie rod ends are new. drag link is almost flat so its not bump steer. but heres my worry. i just popped the hood and its leaking power steering fluid out of one of the hoses. i put a heavy duty steering stabalizer on it from a chevy. the strain from that and the 37s may have made leak? i dont know at this point i just want it to drive good. im going to fix the leak and take the steering stabalizer off and see how it does. but it seems like ive had no powersteering fluid the last couple test drives. would that make it wander and feel loose? its weird because it still turns the 37s easily. does anyone have any ideas why it may feel loose and be wandering?
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #525
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

What's the toe set at? That can cause wandering. And take more pictures
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.