Project high school build! - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project high school build!

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #256
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1
Get to fabbin!!!
I want to! My welding teacher may be hooking me up with some 1/4" flat stock to make some frame stiffeners and then all I gotta make is some mounts for radius arms. And weld perches on the 14 bolt but that's easy

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #257
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is going to get really sweet really quick .... You got the perfect xj to make bad *** too
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #258
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1
This is going to get really sweet really quick .... You got the perfect xj to make bad *** too
I sure hope it does. And I guess it's a good platform because I already beat the **** out of it and that's exactly what I'm going to continue to do lol

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #259
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If I can wrap my head around an idea for one, I may build a crossmember this weekend. Also need to find some cheap steel

Unread 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #260
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
If I can wrap my head around an idea for one, I may build a crossmember this weekend. Also need to find some cheap steel

serious .. steel is expensive .. but hey .. little by little ... all those little bits add up ..
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #261
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

serious .. steel is expensive .. but hey .. little by little ... all those little bits add up ..
What do you think about just building off the stock crossmember then? I really don't ever Rock crawl really just trails and mud. I don't ever rock crawl actually because I live in Maryland and all we have is trails and mud

Unread 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #262
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9 View Post
What do you think about just building off the stock crossmember then? I really don't ever Rock crawl really just trails and mud. I don't ever rock crawl actually because I live in Maryland and all we have is trails and mud

Well .. for a small piece of 2x6 steel it wont be that bad. You can get steel off line shipped at a good price just don't do freight shipping, use UPS. http://www.metalsdepot.com/ is pretty good.

There is a good chance you will keep your jeep for along time, even if its just a fun project jeep, SO .. it would be way better to do it right and take your time, rather than rush it and have it turn out crappy.

Check out SFRautomotive build, performance wise its a SUPER sick build. really nice guy too, if you had any questions he would prob help you out. Check out his cross member and how he went, it works SICK.. I have seen it in person.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...build-1089525/

That would be a good place to start .. then you could front and rear long arms .. then rear spring conversion. Not too expensive but bad *** performance. You could prob do both long arms, front and rear, cross member, and rear springs for about 600-700$ ... just take your time and do it right the first time.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #263
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Well .. for a small piece of 2x6 steel it wont be that bad. You can get steel off line shipped at a good price just don't do freight shipping, use UPS. http://www.metalsdepot.com/ is pretty good.

There is a good chance you will keep your jeep for along time, even if its just a fun project jeep, SO .. it would be way better to do it right and take your time, rather than rush it and have it turn out crappy.

Check out SFRautomotive build, performance wise its a SUPER sick build. really nice guy too, if you had any questions he would prob help you out. Check out his cross member and how he went, it works SICK.. I have seen it in person.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...build-1089525/

That would be a good place to start .. then you could front and rear long arms .. then rear spring conversion. Not too expensive but bad *** performance. You could prob do both long arms, front and rear, cross member, and rear springs for about 600-700$ ... just take your time and do it right the first time.
Yea I definitely want to do it right. I don't know if I will ever do a rear coil spring conversion but I definately want to keep it an option. The way I see it the crossmember is the starting point because everything will build off that. I could buy a piece of 2x6 from my school welding shop and probably build the entire cross member there so I will definately do it right. It's the last month of school so the teachers will let me build whatever. Hopefully I can get some money soon so I can build control arms there to. Better welders and tools and my teacher is crazy good at fab so id have his advice to

Unread 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #264
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got a hp44 from a 78 f250 today. 4.10 gears. I'm so stuck between simple leaf springs for now or 4 link and coils. Track bars suck and I really don't want to have to disconnect swaybars.

Unread 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #265
ghrillz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar9
Got a hp44 from a 78 f250 today. 4.10 gears. I'm so stuck between simple leaf springs for now or 4 link and coils. Track bars suck and I really don't want to have to disconnect swaybars.

Don't run a sway bar then. I have been for over a year and I can't complain. Congrats on the build its going well.
ghrillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #266
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrillz

Don't run a sway bar then. I have been for over a year and I can't complain. Congrats on the build its going well.
I dd it and occasionally my girl and friends drive the jeep and if I do coils I would have to do swaybars. I took mine off my 3" lift for a week and I don't see how some people never use any. But thanks it's been slow but hopefully it's getting ready to speed up

Unread 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #267
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now another question for you guys, what all would you guys recommend to beef up the hp44? I don't wana go crazy and feel like I don't really need to but I'm thinking c gussets and if I do coils I will weld on a 2x2 1/4" bridge. I'm going to use stock shafts until I break them and I'm keeping the 4.10 gears. What else should I do before I put it in the jeep?

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #268
ghrillz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I dd it and occasionally my girl and friends drive the jeep and if I do coils I would have to do swaybars. I took mine off my 3" lift for a week and I don't see how some people never use any. But thanks it's been slow but hopefully it's getting ready to speed up

I DD mine everyday with out sway bars. 4.5" lift on 33's. it doesn't make that much of a difference. Also with the 44 you should do a truss to strengthen it up.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #269
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrillz

I DD mine everyday with out sway bars. 4.5" lift on 33's. it doesn't make that much of a difference. Also with the 44 you should do a truss to strengthen it up.
I would do a full truss but I can't see myself bending a tube or anything. I don't jump it and I don't full out rock crawl. I think I may just build the bridge over the diff and gusset the c's. I don't see myself needing much more than that

Unread 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #270
ghrillz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I would do a full truss but I can't see myself bending a tube or anything. I don't jump it and I don't full out rock crawl. I think I may just build the bridge over the diff and gusset the c's. I don't see myself needing much more than that

Then just go with that and you should be good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.