Project Commuter Commando - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Project Commuter Commando

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Went to the jy yesterday, and found a couple of gems. I got an overhead console out of a ZJ, I know, alot of wiring involved. I also got this for $1,

It's a two can cup holder that mounts in front of the center console, and it relocates the mirror switch to the front of the holder. Has anyone seen this? Now, I can get rid of the craptastic cup holder that sits between the console and the passenger side seat. Any movement by the passenger, and the drinks would be in the floor! It's the same reason I didn't like the stock add-on cup holder hanging on the passenger side of the floor shifter, one bump of the knee and bye bye drinks! I thought it was a neat thing, and it was CHEAP!

Jerry

Unread 01-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #32
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good job bringing this cherokee back to life, amazing that the trans was only low on fluid!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #33
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I found out something crazy, this Cherokee was on a wrecker, ready to go to a bone yard when Mean Max bought it! The wrecker guy just wanted the amount that he would have got for scrap, he would come out ahead because he wouldn't have to make a 100 mile round trip. So, this Cherokee is pretty lucky in it's own right!

Jerry
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #34
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I kind of skimmed through here but in case it hasnt been covered, that pic you took of the rear end on the first page is a 27 spline C8.25 assuming its original to the year model. Not as good as the 29 spline but plenty for your use and way better than the d35!

Grille looks good! Im a fan of the Duplicolor paints as well, found them to be a perfect match. I did the grille and bumper cap on my Z71 with it and it was perfect.

Keep up the good work, I always enjoy projects like these. Hurts to see good jeeps rotting away, youre doing a good deed haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Added a couple of things, got the ZJ OHC installed, just not wired up yet, and got the roof rack reinstalled.
Here is the console:

Here's a few pics with the roof rack reinstalled:

I also installed a new IAC. The idle was rough, and, when started cold, it would barely keep 500 rpm, and unplugging the IAC didn't do a thing. Starts like a champ now, and the idle is smoother.

Next, I've got to figure out the power window issues on the passenger side.

Jerry
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #36
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Went to the jy again on Mon, and picked up a new rear bumper. It's from a'94 Country, black and champagne, with the bumper being champagne, which is perfect since my Country is all champagne.

Looks like what the original should look like!

Here's the bent original

Jerry
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find! I never seem to run into that kinda luck at the JY.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #38
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Now that is what we call good luck. Finding the part you need in good shape with matching paint.
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #39
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It was a good find. I still need to touch up the paint, but, that's nothing big. Thanks, guys! Now, trying to find out why the pass side front window will go down, but, not up. Gotta love electrical fun!

Jerry
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #40
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, found out why the cruise control didn't work, all four wires to the stalk switch were broken. I pulled the wires outside the column, used butt connectors to reconnect the wires, and it WORKS! Now, got to figure out that stupid pass front window, grrrr!!

Jerry
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on solving your xj's cruise control issue!
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #42
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, decided to scrap the ZJ overhead console. The reason being, when I was at the jy looking for stuff for my wife's WJ, I saw an XJ that just appeared this week, AND IT HAD THE ELUSIVE OVERHEAD CONSOLE! It was a '94 Country, with the exact same tan/wood interior as my '93 Country. I was able to get the console, the TWO roof brackets (there is one for the front at the windshield), the complete wiring harness, and the temp sender for the console. I got this all for a grand total of $16! I love U Pull and Pay! So far, I got the console mounted and the harness in place. I have two of the three harness plugs hooked up, can't find the third one. I have map lights and the rear maps that work as dome lights. I believe that the missing plug belongs to the Compass/Temp computer. That should be easy to wire up if needed. I will post pics tomorrow, the wife and I are on our way to see Jimmy Buffett tonight, or, I would have posted them tonight.

Jerry
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #43
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, got picks of the console installed.

Now, if I can just get the display to work. I did find that third plug, it was hidden under the dash, wrapped in foam tape. I have another thread about the display issues, so I won't bore you guys with tge details here.

Jerry
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #44
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I also moved the original map lights and dome light to the cargo area, replacing the cargo light.

What this does is have the less obtrusive map lights working in the back instead of the back map lights on the console, which throw light around a bit. This makes less of a distraction when driving at night. I had to swap 2 of the pins in the body plug to the light housing, take the two ground wires from the map lights, and make those go straight to ground. This way, the dome light works only with the liftgate up, and the map lights work through the switches in the light housing, with none of the lights working with the dome light circuit. Works for me!

Jerry
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #45
CjsmithFl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thats awesome man, Congrats. I love seeing when someone can revive a vehicle.
CjsmithFl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.