Pricing my 2000 XJ with known problems. Need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Pricing my 2000 XJ with known problems. Need advice

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pricing my 2000 XJ with known problems. Need advice

I started a full-time job about a month ago, and haven't needed my Jeep since then as the subway makes my commute much easier. Therefore, I no longer need a vehicle (unfortunately), so I've been looking to sell it. I was originally looking to sell it on CL for around $2,500 sine it has 131K miles (even that may be a bit high, am willing to go as low as $1,000), but new issues have cropped up, one being particularly major. It would be great if you guys could give me honest opinions on pricing it, what needs to be done before selling it, etc. Apologies if this type of thread is frowned upon or in the wrong place. Thanks in advance.

History:

-Purchased in June 2008 with 86K miles on it
-Performed oil changes every 4,000-6,000 miles
-Replaced power steering pump (2009), water pump (2011), thermostat (2011) starter (2011), battery (2011), serpentine belt (2011)

Additions:

-Sound system: 12" Alpine Type S woofer with box, Alpine amp, Alpine Type S speakers, Kenwood deck.
-Under-dash blue LED ribbons with switch
-30x9.5x15 Dunlop radials, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's (2010)
-Flomaster Super-44 Muffler

Known issues:

-Previous owner neglected the cooling system, so it's very dirty. When I replaced my water pump and thermostat, I flushed out the system with water for a good while. I did this again later on in the summer when I had to replace a radiator hose. There are no overheating issues, however.

-Death wobble. When I got a hole in my tire fixed back in September, my Jeep started subtly shaking at high speeds after the wheel was put back on. Starting in April, if I hit a bump at a weird angle, the Jeep would start shaking violently until I slowed down. This, obviously, is a huge issue and will make it very difficult to sell

-Just after the clamp, my muffler has split from the tail pipe. It's not hanging or anything, it just has a split in it and makes the muffler sound much louder. Could be an issue if it starts to come loose.

-Not really an issue, but needs an oil change. 3,000 miles was at 129,6xx, I'm currently at 131,xxx. Haven't and do not have time to do it.

-Middle dash bulb is out, the others are fine.

-No AC

-Windows are finicky, most times they work, others they are a pain.

-Blinker doesn't automatically click back after a turn is made

-Passenger mirror cracked

--------------------------------------

As you can see, she isn't in tip-top shape and needs some work. Other than those issues listed, she's in relatively good condition. It's a vehicle nearing the 14-year mark, let's keep that in mind. Photos below (SkyDrive links).

http://sdrv.ms/11soWnI
http://sdrv.ms/1d66CAL
http://sdrv.ms/11spaev
http://sdrv.ms/1d66MYJ
http://sdrv.ms/1d66W2m

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It really depends on your location/market. When I was looking for my XJ in the DC area it seemed like most of them with between 130k-160k miles were asking $4k to $4500. The issues you listed don't seem all that bad aside from your vibrations. If you haven't lifted the vehicle I'd suspect is your repaired tire causing the issues.
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If i were a 4wd I'd think about buying it. Too bad you're so far away. I dont think $2,500 is unreasonable. Those issues are all minor, and its probably just a jeep needing a bit of TLC

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
If i were a 4wd I'd think about buying it. Too bad you're so far away. I dont think $2,500 is unreasonable. Those issues are all minor, and its probably just a jeep needing a bit of TLC
It is 4WD. I don't think the problems are major at all, either, just the death wobble might scare someone who isn't familiar with Jeeps away. Thanks for the advice so far.
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
gfox48
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The death wobble might be from worn out ball joints or TRE's. If they have not been replaced in the 14 year history of the XJ then I would replace them first. I know that when I replaced all mine with MOOG ball joints and TRE's all front end wobble went away.
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, my dad's friend (mechanic) looked at it and said it needs a new track bar. Thoughts? Costs? He will barely charge me for labor to fix it.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A loose trackbar will definitely cause death wobble. I don't think you need a new bar though, just new bushings. Also check the mounting bracket on the axle side. The hole gets wallowed out and causes the bar to get loose.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Doesn't flowmaster have a lifetime warranty? New muffler if so
1997xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So, after much thought and finally having decent savings, I am keeping my Jeep! I bought a new trackbar (old one is loose as ****) as well as a glasspack to replace the Flowmaster. I tried everything to get the bolt out of the trackbar, even torching it didn't work. Same goes for the muffler, since I don't have a sawzall, I can't get it off since it's incredibly rusted. Therefore, I am taking it to a shop for them to fix up, along with a nice engine tune up. I will most likely be lifting it 2", but this is the first order of business. I miss my Jeep!
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis
So, after much thought and finally having decent savings, I am keeping my Jeep! I bought a new trackbar (old one is loose as ****) as well as a glasspack to replace the Flowmaster. I tried everything to get the bolt out of the trackbar, even torching it didn't work. Same goes for the muffler, since I don't have a sawzall, I can't get it off since it's incredibly rusted. Therefore, I am taking it to a shop for them to fix up, along with a nice engine tune up. I will most likely be lifting it 2", but this is the first order of business. I miss my Jeep!
I would recommend saving the money you would be paying the shop and using it to buy a sawzall... I couldn't imagine spending years working on vehicles without one... Heck I have a half a dozen of them cordless and corded...
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infob View Post
I would recommend saving the money you would be paying the shop and using it to buy a sawzall... I couldn't imagine spending years working on vehicles without one... Heck I have a half a dozen of them cordless and corded...
It's my dad's friend's shop, so labor is going to be pretty cheap. I don't have much time to do these things, and my Jeep is parked at my parents house 45 minutes away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.