Potential new owner of XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Potential new owner of XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
stimm32

Potential new owner of XJ

Hi all,
I am going up to Portland this weekend to take a look at, and (hopefully) purchase, a 1997 4 door Sport 5 speed. It has 236k on it, but the owner claims they are mostly highway miles. In the pictures it looks very clean, and it is entirely stock.

So, my question is, do you think this is too many miles? I have heard nothing but good things about these, and especially the 4.0.

Anything in particular I should look for?

Thanks!

stimm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

"Mostly Highway Miles"... That's what *I* was told when I bought MY 1995 eight years ago.
I think people just say that hoping it will calm the buyer

What's he asking for it?? Check it against what edmunds.com and or KBB.com say (I prefer edmunds).
Hopefully he didn't change the oil recently so you can get some idea of it's condition, and make sure he didn't warm it up for ya so you can see how it starts, and how cold the A/C gets (and other stuff).

Do you know what transfer case it has?
Now maybe someone with 97 specific experience will contribute.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
stimm32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
"Mostly Highway Miles"... That's what *I* was told when I bought MY 1995 eight years ago.
I think people just say that hoping it will calm the buyer

What's he asking for it?? Check it against what edmunds.com and or KBB.com say (I prefer edmunds).
Hopefully he didn't change the oil recently so you can get some idea of it's condition, and make sure he didn't warm it up for ya so you can see how it starts, and how cold the A/C gets (and other stuff).

Do you know what transfer case it has?
Now maybe someone with 97 specific experience will contribute.
Ha!

He's asking $2500, which is actually a couple hundred below book, although I may have optioned it a bit incorrectly. I think it is a pretty reasonable price.

I will check the oil and give it a cold start and check the A/C, etc.

Unfortunately I do not know what transfer case it has, but I think anything in this model year with the AX15 5-speed had a New Process 231 (I could be completely wrong, this is just what I read in my research).

Thanks again!
stimm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
scottmphoto
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Check it over like any other used vehicle. Check the fluids, crawl underneath of it and look for rust. Make sure everything works. On an XJ with a 4.0, if it was half-way maintained, 236,000 miles on it, it's just getting broken in.
scottmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.