Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Potential Cherokee buy?

502 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RedJeepster1 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So I am on the verge of buying an 87 Cherokee to be my new daily driver. The guy has all the maintenance records, 2nd owner, etc. Engine was replaced about 10 years ago and only has 50,000 miles on it, hooked to the stock transmission. Dana 44 in the back, 30 in the front. I test drove it today. Very strong truck. I plan on cleaning up the interior and making it my new daily driver. Definitely going to make the swap to EV6 injectors, replace the belts and probably a few easy tune ups here and there. However, before I buy, here are my concerns:
The wheel is very loose when steering, probably tie rod needs to be replaced? I can manage that easy.
There is a leak of fluid in the transmission to transfer case gasket. How much am I looking at to get a new gasket put in by a mechanic?
The underside is very rust free considering the year, but are there any specific spots to watch?
Is there anything else known to go bad in these cars I should look out for?
Finally, What do you guys suggest I do to it if/when I buy this thing? :p
Thanks so much!

#2 ·
Hey, welcome to the forum. I can't comment specifically on the 87, but can make a few comments on the Cherokee's in general. Steering wheel being loose is either going to be a tie rod end, a track bar connection, or the steering box. The brace that holds the box can break down and the boxes themselves also get loose.

There is no fluid between the transfer case and transmission. A leak there is either a gasket on the input shaft of the transfer case or the output shaft of the transmission. Transfer case comes apart pretty easy, I would be a little more hesitant to pull the transmission apart but certainly not saying it can't be done.

Rust is pretty typical on the floor pans, specifically by the exhaust on the passenger side. The rocker panels also tend to go early on these. Check the inside and outside of the pinch seam. And finally look at the bottom of the rear quarter panel, inside and out. It was more common on the newer models I believe with the plastic cover that held all the moisture in, but that's also a common rust spot.

I know the older renix Jeeps used a different cooling system and it was prone to issues if it wasn't kept in good shape. Just make sure all the hoses are good and you have a good seal on the overflow tank. The system is pressurized unlike the newer open systems.

Before you do any mods to the Jeep, just make sure it's reliable and all the maintenance is up to date. Once it's driving like you want it to, then you can worry about modifications. Good luck!

#3 ·
Cruiser54 has a bunch of mods for this era XJ. Look for one of his postings here. I have an '88 Comanche. A few quirks, but a strong vehicle if maintained. Look for Volvo injector posting for the Renix.
Rust is usually driver side front foot well and just above the muffler. Might need to pull the carpets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.