Post Your Additional Gauge Setups! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Post Your Additional Gauge Setups!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Post Your Additional Gauge Setups!

Based on searching, this has been covered lightly here and there, but I think it would be a handy resource if we could get a lot of these in one thread. I apologize if its been done, searching did not yield anything quite like this.

Here's the scoop, Im considering adding a trans temp gauge, most likely mounted via a pod on the A Pillar, but I had also considered getting a pod for 2 gauges, or maybe doing a different mounting system alltogether. Thats where the forums come in.

Im curious about what you all may have done. Things like where you mounted the gauge(s), what type/brand you chose, and even why you chose that and how it is beneficial to you.

If anyone has pics/insight feel free to post. Hoping this wont be a dud, could be a source of some great info for other ppl like myself wanting something more than what the oe cluster offers.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know what OBD2 metrics these Jeeps computers can monitor but I have an Ultragauge in my 4Runner and I have access to 48 out of 78 OBD2 metrics and gauges. Right now I display throttle position, AF/R, IAT, engine load efficiency, timing advance and instant fuel economy.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am interested in seeing some pics of these!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well here is a pic of my Ultragauge in my 4Runner, does anyone on jeep forum have one of these? They're super popular on the Toyota forums, one day soon I'll pull it out and hook it up to the XJ and see how many gauges it reads

48 different gauges on my 4Runner, 6 gauges per page and 7 pages.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

that is awesome! I want one!!!!
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Whoa thats cool as hell!!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

here is a list from the Ultragauge website of what gauges are supported by 96+ model year Jeep XJ with the 4.0 engine. This obviously only applies to OBD2 equipped vehicles.

In addition to the gauges it can also read and reset the CEL and other codes that dont trigger the CEL

Quote:
Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
Percent Engine Load
Engine coolant temperature (F)
Engine coolant temperature (C)
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) PSI
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)(kPa)
RPM
MPH
KPH
Ignition Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature (F)
Intake Air Temperature (C)
Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
Bank 2 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
Bank 2 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
Distance traveled with Check Engine Light on (miles)
Distance traveled with Check Engine Light on (km)
Boost Pressure, (Relative Pressure) (PSI)
Boost Pressure, (Relative Pressure) (kPa)
Brake Horsepower 1
Brake Kilowatts 1
Torque 1 (ft lbs)
Torque 1 (N.m)
Brake Horsepower 2
Brake Kilowatts 2
Torque 2 (ft lbs)
Torque 2 (N.m)
Volumetric Efficiency
UG Battery voltage
Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
Instantaneous MPG
Intantaneous Gallons/Hour (GPH)
Instantaneous KPL
Intantaneous Liters/Hour
Instantaneous L/100km
Distance to Empty(DTE)(miles)
Distance to Empty(DTE)(km)

Time to Empty (TTE)

Fuel Level (gallons)
Fuel Level (liters)
Oil Distance(miles)
Oil Distance(km)
Service Distance(miles)
Service Distance(km)
General Purpose
Average MPH
Average MPG
Average Gallon/Hour (GPH)
Fuel Used (gallons)
Run Time
Distance (miles)

Average KPL
Average L/100km
Average KPH
Average Liters/Hour
Fuel Used (liters)
Distance (km)

TRIP GAUGES
Run Time

Average MPH
Average MPG
Fuel Used Gallons
Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH)
UltraGauge Internal Temperature (F)

Average KPH
Avergage KPL
Avergage L/100km
Liters Used
Average Liters/Hour
Distance (km)
UltraGauge Internal Temperature (C)

SHORT TRIP GAUGES
Run Time
Avergage MPG
Fuel Used (gallons)
Average gallons/hour
Average MPH
Distance (miles)

Average KPH
Avergage KPL
Avergage L/100km
Liters Used
Average Liters/Hour
Distance (km)

Last edited by rebelbowtie; 01-02-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

that's awesome, I am some what thinking of purchasing... this reminds me of the access port for subaru!
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
that's awesome, I am some what thinking of purchasing... this reminds me of the access port for subaru!
at $60 its a pretty good deal IMO, gives you pretty much all the useful data except trans temp.
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just use torque.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

LOL so that gauge thingy above gives you tons of readouts except for the one parameter the OP asked about, nice job. I bought an OBDII bluetooth dongle thing for $20 that links with my phone and shows me all that information as well. I'd honestly say the only thing it's good for is reading the actual coolant temp and clearing CEL codes. And as a boost gauge on my WRX.

OP, I got a cheap autometer trans temp gauge and mounted it on the shifter bezel using an autometer ring mount. Pretty basic install, search the tech section and the FAQ tech thread. Or just search in general for your exact question, this has been discussed before.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...73/#post861942
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
LOL so that gauge thingy above gives you tons of readouts except for the one parameter the OP asked about, nice job. I bought an OBDII bluetooth dongle thing for $20 that links with my phone and shows me all that information as well. I'd honestly say the only thing it's good for is reading the actual coolant temp and clearing CEL codes. And as a boost gauge on my WRX.

OP, I got a cheap autometer trans temp gauge and mounted it on the shifter bezel using an autometer ring mount. Pretty basic install, search the tech section and the FAQ tech thread. Or just search in general for your exact question, this has been discussed before.

I dont so much have a tech question as much as wanting a place to gather different peoples setups, sort of a master thread to be used for reference, much like the lift setup thread. Any setup that involves added gauges to monitor different parameters works just fine, Im just looking at ideas on a broad spectrum. I might see something someone else has and choose to do that as well. "whats 3" lift with 31s look like" is a common question to which someone can be referred to the Lift Setup thread. While im sure this HAS been covered here and there, theres no one place to see multiple setups and uses. Thats the idea here.

Thanks for the pic. Good simple, easy to see location.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you installed a trans temp sensor along with that temp gauge. I'm new to Jeeps(just bought my first one) but I don't believe the AW4 has a trans temp sensor from the factory. That would explain why the Ultragauge doesn't read that parameter, it does read it on other vehicles.

The Ultragauge is relatively new and most features were still in beta last year (2011) but I am aware of Torque and Rev apps for iPhone and Android OS's respectively. I have used them before and they don't compare to the accuracy and customizability of this gauge. It can display 6 gauges at once and auto page up to on my vehicle 48. Plus it doesn't require Bluetooth or wireless data or kill my phone battery while constantly pinging the BT sending unit and frees the phone up for other duties like streaming music or navigation.

I'm not trying to force this device on you but rather help you understand how it works and it's usefulness. Besides that as the OP already stated he is looking for other owners auxiliary gauge set ups and this one is mine. I can update the post with pics of the gauge installed in my XJ when I take delivery of it if you or anyone else is interested.
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you installed a trans temp sensor along with that temp gauge. I'm new to Jeeps(just bought my first one) but I don't believe the AW4 has a trans temp sensor from the factory. That would explain why the Ultragauge doesn't read that parameter, it does read it on other vehicles.

The Ultragauge is relatively new and most features were still in beta last year (2011) but I am aware of Torque and Rev apps for iPhone and Android OS's respectively. I have used them before and they don't compare to the accuracy and customizability of this gauge. It can display 6 gauges at once and auto page up to on my vehicle 48. Plus it doesn't require Bluetooth or wireless data or kill my phone battery while constantly pinging the BT sending unit and frees the phone up for other duties like streaming music or navigation.

I'm not trying to force this device on you but rather help you understand how it works and it's usefulness. Besides that as the OP already stated he is looking for other owners auxiliary gauge set ups and this one is mine. I can update the post with pics of the gauge installed in my XJ when I take delivery of it if you or anyone else is interested.
Im interested to see this in your xj
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

^x2. Post up when you get it in there! I check out their website and really like the looks/price! May have to pick one up.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.