Popping/clunking noise - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Popping/clunking noise

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Crispynuggets
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Double check your u-joints. If it pops when putting it in gear then have someone shift it while you watch underneath. Obviously not directly under the vehicle.

Crispynuggets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispynuggets View Post
Double check your u-joints. If it pops when putting it in gear then have someone shift it while you watch underneath. Obviously not directly under the vehicle.
There new, cheap ones ill check em and see, but I can feel this when it pops right under my left foot while sitting in the car left of the brake pedal, im leaning at Ball joint gone bad, or this stupid track bar.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kzv View Post
Might look at your trans mount while your at it. Also just remembered one of our XJs had an issue with the exhaust getting into the front DS. That clunk drove us mad trying to find out what that was and never figured out why. But we are betting the exhaust got tweaked when wheeling across some fallen trees.

Chris
I dont think its the exhaust I will look though at this point im willing to check anything causing it, would a ball joint pop like that when shifting into drive im moving all the weight of the vehicle forward would a ball joint pop like that, when it pops I can feel it under my left foot left of the brake pedal under the vehicle.
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Crispynuggets
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Are your driveline u-joints new? That's what i was referring to sorry for not specifying.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think ball-joints would would clunk like this in an XJ. They are easy to check just by jacking up your Jeep just high enough so that the tires clear the ground. Grab your tires at the top and bottom (without putting you fingers under the tire) and see if you can move the tire-wheel in a push pull movement. If you have play there your ball joints or unit hub are bad.

It seems to me this is really a control arm issue either axle or body side bushings. They don't need a lot of play in them to make a clunk that is heard and felt from the floorboard.

As Crispynuggets has pointed out bad u-joints on either the front or rear drive shafts could cause a clunk like this that may be transmitted to the floorboard.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok, no the u-joints are out of the driveshaft I bought from a salvage yard, I replaced some centering piece inside the front driveline it the u joints looked ok, I dont know how to tell if they are bad or not, they have grease in them and they seemed to be smooth, but I think I will start there and replace the u joint in the shafts, can the TRAC-BAR make this noise?? like the ball joint end of the track bar it connects to the frame and almost sounds like it could be coming from there.
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Crispynuggets
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ya it could. You could have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the front end. Check tie ends, pitman arm, and the track bar for play. There should be no play. If there is slop in any component replace it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.