Popping/clunking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Popping/clunking noise

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Popping/clunking noise

Ok so Brief overview, bought a 96 xj w/out 4wd axle in it.... prev owner removed 4wd... dont ask... long story, anyways bought new axle replaced U-joints in the shafts and made sure everything was looking good before putting the axle in the jeep. Got it to the shop and up on the lift and swapped, all is well..... until I take it for a spin (all-stock) off roading to test the 4wd and axle and to see what these xj's can do, very pleased.... well now I have this Crazy clunk/poping noise under my feet on the driver side and seems only when going over bumps and of course off road flexing and moving its popping/clunking over and over, I have figured out if I Reverse about 3 feet and then stop and put in Drive it will pop/clunk, and I can almost make it pop like that everytime that way, I get when I pull into my drive way.... which is left wheel up 1st and then all others as follows.... I think it might be control arms bushing maybe, and ive noticed it pulling left when braking no noise just pulls left, feels real loose on the highway almost swaying, common sense would lead me to the SWAY bar!can anyone please please help????

Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
jeepinjeffrey
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 4014′39.92″N 11139′38.89″W
Posts: 1,981
If you have after market control arms check those to see if one of the bushings snapped open, I had it happen to mine and it made that exact same sound over bumps,
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sport
4.5 Rubicon Express Lift|33" BFG KM2s|Ion Alloy 174|And never ending wish list!
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeffrey View Post
If you have after market control arms check those to see if one of the bushings snapped open, I had it happen to mine and it made that exact same sound over bumps,
They are stock UCA(upper control arm) and LCA's(lower) I did buy new MOOG POLYURATHANE BUSHINGS have not put them in yet, should I try that first and see? I was thinking its the UCA's this whole time just wanted to ask around.

Last edited by Camfam07; 01-23-2012 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: wanted to clarify on the acronyms
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
jeepinjeffrey
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 4014′39.92″N 11139′38.89″W
Posts: 1,981
No the stock ones shouldn't pop out. I'm not sure then. sorry
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sport
4.5 Rubicon Express Lift|33" BFG KM2s|Ion Alloy 174|And never ending wish list!
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
kg4kzv
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Watauga Tennessee.
Posts: 5,186
I would still look over the control arms to make sure bushings are ok and they are tightened down properly. Also check your sway bar body side mounts and bushings. My drivers side sway bar bushing had fallen out of mine when I first got it just about drove me nuts for a couple of days till I found it.

Good luck.
Chris
__________________
95 Cherokee SE 4.0, 5-Spd, 8.25;
6.5" Rusty's Lift, Atlas II Rims, 35x12.5x15 Wild Country,Rusty's Tube Bumper, Wilderness Rack
Rock Sliders, K&N Panel Air filter, PSC steering box,
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kzv View Post
I would still look over the control arms to make sure bushings are ok and they are tightened down properly. Also check your sway bar body side mounts and bushings. My drivers side sway bar bushing had fallen out of mine when I first got it just about drove me nuts for a couple of days till I found it.

Good luck.
Chris
ill check all that I have new UCA bushings im thinking about getting the lift with new lower control arms in the kit, that a way I get a lift and maybe take care of my popping noise at the same time, someone mentioned that there are diff MM sizes with the SWAY BAR well I remember putting the sway bushings on and thinking these dont fit right, I may look into replacing all the bushings..... <SIGH> anyways, thanks for the into and I will update once I figure out what is causing it.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
joe108
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: valley center, ca
Posts: 856
Following this one closely, the 2000 I just bought is doing the clunking under the drivers floor sound too.
Just for information, replaced sway bar bushings..no go, took front track bar off..clunking still there, removed front driveshaft, clunking still there.
One of two things left to check, 1. one of the bushings on a control arm or, 2. ball joints?
Post results please.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Following this one closely, the 2000 I just bought is doing the clunking under the drivers floor sound too.
Just for information, replaced sway bar bushings..no go, took front track bar off..clunking still there, removed front driveshaft, clunking still there.
One of two things left to check, 1. one of the bushings on a control arm or, 2. ball joints?
Post results please.
awesome, thanks for the info I as well disconnected sway bar, still clunking, I already have the UCA bushings, there poly though and personally I like poly it squeaks but if soak em silicone they quiet down alot, I will replace these soon maybe this weekend, I will definitely post after the UCA bushing replacement, it has to be that, not much else left.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
awesome, thanks for the info I as well disconnected sway bar, still clunking, I already have the UCA bushings, there poly though and personally I like poly it squeaks but if soak em silicone they quiet down alot, I will replace these soon maybe this weekend, I will definitely post after the UCA bushing replacement, it has to be that, not much else left.
well I just got back from putting the POLY urathane bushings in the upper control arms, Holy crap getting the bushing pressed into the arm its self took about 20 minutes, gettting the bushing out of the upper control mount that is on top of the pumpkin was a B***H, pardon my french, it basically took an impact hammer, drill, huge C clamp and alot of cussing and hammering and finally came out after that.... all went smooth, got it off the lift back on the ground, and tested it, no more popping noise! no clunks, sounds great actually you can tell there are new bushings in it, bumps are quieter, has more "control" it is so nice to have finally fixed it.

Last edited by Camfam07; 01-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Grammer issues
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
joe108
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: valley center, ca
Posts: 856
So it was one or both of the uppers that went bad? Did the old one look bad when it was on the jeep? was it obviously bad? Just trying to narrow my problem a little more, but leaning toward the same issue as yours.
Glad yours is fixed
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
So it was one or both of the uppers that went bad? Did the old one look bad when it was on the jeep? was it obviously bad? Just trying to narrow my problem a little more, but leaning toward the same issue as yours.
Glad yours is fixed
I replaced all 4 top bushings, 2 on top of the axle and 2 in the 2 in the arms, well now after test driving it I am still getting a little bit of a popping noise doesn't seem the same as original issue, and alot quieter, but I think its a ball joint popping now, cant really tell I will keep replacing parts and narrow it down, it does drive a whole better and hitting bumps are better, you said you looked at your track bar? I looked mine over and the sway bar, I still havent disconnected it yet, but I cant tell if it actually fixed it.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
joe108
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: valley center, ca
Posts: 856
I actually removed the track bar and it still made the clunking noise, I only have to back mine up a short distance to get mine to clunk, so there was no danger of loosing control while driving, keep us posted.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
HillbillyXpress
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 22
The stamped metal control arms are flexing and popping around bushings. Mine does it all the time now. Thinkin about cutting a spreader and tack welding it on the open sides of the control arms until I can get after market control arms from junk yard or parts vehicle on Craigs. Mine have popped for over a year now... but so does the drivers side door every time I open it!
__________________
Junk yard, hand me down 21.5" wheel travel front and 11.5" wheel travel in rear with stuffed 33's.
HillbillyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyXpress View Post
The stamped metal control arms are flexing and popping around bushings. Mine does it all the time now. Thinkin about cutting a spreader and tack welding it on the open sides of the control arms until I can get after market control arms from junk yard or parts vehicle on Craigs. Mine have popped for over a year now... but so does the drivers side door every time I open it!
I have re-enforced control arms, my dad is a machinist and we welded some support on the stamped metal ones, I think it is either sway bar or possible motor mount, because I can reverse and put it into drive and clunk, so I am about to replace the entire front end with new parts or buy me a new jeep that doesnt pop.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
kg4kzv
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Watauga Tennessee.
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
I have re-enforced control arms, my dad is a machinist and we welded some support on the stamped metal ones, I think it is either sway bar or possible motor mount, because I can reverse and put it into drive and clunk, so I am about to replace the entire front end with new parts or buy me a new jeep that doesnt pop.

Might look at your trans mount while your at it. Also just remembered one of our XJs had an issue with the exhaust getting into the front DS. That clunk drove us mad trying to find out what that was and never figured out why. But we are betting the exhaust got tweaked when wheeling across some fallen trees.

Chris
__________________
95 Cherokee SE 4.0, 5-Spd, 8.25;
6.5" Rusty's Lift, Atlas II Rims, 35x12.5x15 Wild Country,Rusty's Tube Bumper, Wilderness Rack
Rock Sliders, K&N Panel Air filter, PSC steering box,
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.