JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Pop up rear window xj (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/pop-up-rear-window-xj-1522564/)

Turcsi_Wheeler 05-12-2013 09:22 PM

Pop up rear window xj

I did a quick search and couldn't find any results, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Has anyone ever modified their rear window to pop up or to be removable all together? Almost every other SUV I can think of does it and it annoys the hell out of me that my cherokee doesn't. It would be really convenient

bobthecatkiller 05-13-2013 12:46 PM

Maybe fab one up from

A grand cherokee back door that has one? Dunno

98muddyjeep 05-13-2013 03:22 PM

This idea has been kicked around for awhile but I dont think its ever been done. I was thinking of getting another hatch with a similar window shape and cutting the metal 3-4 inches around the window and then cutting the stock XJ hatch 2-3 inches around in the same shape as the donor hatch and welding them together.

Motorcharge 05-13-2013 06:04 PM

I've seen a few people cut the hatches in half to do it, but it's not really worth the trouble imo. I'm too lazy to dig up the thread, but a guy from Australia or NZ did it and posted pics over on CF earlier this year.

When I cut the rear of my XJ off I'm putting in an MJ tailgate in the back. Figured I'd get a camper shell too and cut it down to length as a removable hard top. Obviously a lot more work, but end results kinda the same.

JeepN4KC 05-13-2013 06:57 PM

The problem I see with a flip up rear hatch window (and I thought of this option once I was in need of replacing my rear glass) is that if you break it - then you're back to square one after all the r&d and fab work.

98muddyjeep 05-14-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 15429297)
The problem I see with a flip up rear hatch window (and I thought of this option once I was in need of replacing my rear glass) is that if you break it - then you're back to square one after all the r&d and fab work.

Not true if you go with my suggestion if you brake the glass ani her piece of glass from the donor vehicle will fit no problems.you not hanging where the window sits in the factory location. I was also thinking about doing a power roll down window

Motorcharge 05-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep (Post 15433293)
I was also thinking about doing a power roll down window

There's not enough room inside the hatch to do it unfortunately.

98muddyjeep 05-14-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcharge (Post 15433367)

There's not enough room inside the hatch to do it unfortunately.

Just give me some time my friend,my mind works in strange and mysterious ways

MuddSnapper 05-31-2013 08:40 PM

Ive been kicking the Idea around for MUDD. Wranglers have snap on windows and soft tops... Why couldnt I make a drop down tailgate and fab some clear plastic and snaps to work for a window. my question now is will putting the snaps on the outside hold on when Im driving with the windows down? Would I have to make the top attach to the roof to avoid pools of water in the back? I keep a good assortment of tools in the back when I wheel in case I need to fix something major on the fly. It would be nice to have a tailgate that rested on my steel bumper as a work space.

The time now is 05:56 PM.