Police edition cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Police edition cherokee

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 05-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Robert20

Police edition cherokee

So, the locals in newark stole my friend's cherokee by smashing the steering column and mangling the internal parts. Luckily, his education level was minimal and he killed the battery, thus disabling himself from moving the car after a day. (She found it, and had it towed it to my house)

So my problem... I need a steering column with a column shift. This doesn't exist according to parts web sites. I've been to 4 junkyards today and none of them have one like this. (or a commanche or YJ for that matter)

Robert20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What year Cherokee ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Can you graft the column shift setup on to another column?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The column shift is pretty rare in the Cherokee. The police version might be the only one that came that way. Not sure about jeep, but on a lot of cars, there's a separate row in the parts book for police editions as they had unusual options on a lot of parts. If you can't find the XJ part, look for a Comanche. Most (all?)of the trucks came with a bench set and column shifter. Another possibility would be to find the parts in a GM catalog and piece the old column back together. Jeep sourced the early XJ steering column from GMs supplier
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You'll need to do the research, but the collum is a GM part. I think from a S-10, but can't remember.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.